Metal Thread IV: Ride the Tiger

Tsavong Lah

Maryland Deathfest was every bit as awesome as I had anticipated.

i so wanted to go. sadly, work owned me. next year i am so there.

how was melechesh? that was one band i really wanted to see.

i so need to see some live metal. i have not seen anything in almost a year.

how was melechesh? that was one band i really wanted to see.

They were quite good, even if their set got cut a song short due to extended sound check/technical issues at the start.

A little shaky for the first song after an extended sound check, and then they just totally rocked it. I can't wait to see them again. /fangirl

I was looking through the official photos and I spotted blurry versions of myself and the girls in a couple of the Melechesh shots.

I know I'm barely a pixel but I got a big goofy grin anyway :P; immortalized at Melechesh's first US appearance.

I know I'm barely a pixel but I got a big goofy grin anyway :P; immortalized at Melechesh's first US appearance.

Goofy grins aren't very metal.

OK, maybe they can be a little power metal. But not black metal. Unless it's corpsepainted on, and even then it's the rictus grin of painful death.

Anyone who likes a good headbanging, thrashing album should check out Black Breath. Just ignore the vocals and lyrics (if possible), because they are ludicrous. Review later when I have a bit more time.

Also, randomly checked the Melechesh myspace page. They went into the studio in April to record a new album, which is due out this summer. How I missed this news, I do not know. But damn, my day just got 1000% better (or black metal gr1mmer, if that is more appropriate).

All sorts of jealousy towards those that went to MDF. If it wasn't half a continent away I'd feel worse.

So new music, I got some finally. The best of the bunch being Triptykon's Eparistera Daimones. This is a great continuation of the tradition of Celtic Frost and a serious contender already for my album of the year.

Speaking of festivals, is anyone planning on hitting Sonisphere in July/August? We just booked our tickets this week. Of all the tiny bands at the bottom of the bill, anyone heard of them and can suggest which are worth seeing/avoiding?

Only ones I've heard of are Evile, Katatonia, Sick of it All, Municipal Waste, 65DaysofStatic, Therapy? and Rollins.

Of those, the only ones I'd bother with are Evile, Katatonia, Municipal Waste and Rollins (although I question that a gigantic festival is the right venue to appreciate that last one. He's much better in a smaller setting).

Speaking of festivals, is anyone planning on hitting Sonisphere in July/August? We just booked our tickets this week. Of all the tiny bands at the bottom of the bill, anyone heard of them and can suggest which are worth seeing/avoiding?

If you'd been reading the earlier posts in this thread you'd have seen that I'm also going. :) I've never heard of any of the bands on the Jagermeister or Red Bull stages but from the Bowtime Bar I know of are Failsafe, InMe and The Ghost of a Thousand. Failsafe have played in a pub near me a few times and apparently they were pretty good but I think they're some sort of Pop-Punk/Emo band; InMe are, I think a similar band; and The Ghost of a Thousand are a Screamo band who have also played in the same nearby pub and were really entertaining but their music is shit. From the wee bands on Bohemia I know of Sylosis, Bigelf and Evile. Bigelf are fantastic - they supported Dream Theater on last year's Progressive Nation UK tour. Sylosis are OK live but I haven't bothered listening to them properly I'm not really sure what genre they would slot into. Evile are a good thrash band but I haven't managed to see them live yet, despite them playing close to me twice and supporting Megadeth (their van broke down on the UK Gigantour 08 before the Glasgow gig :( ).

Where are you travelling from mate?

Where are you travelling from mate?

Saaf, probably working on the Friday morning and heading up after lunch. Actually the in-laws live in Stevenage so we're planning to crash there rather than camp, shouldn't be too hard to get a lift or a bus up to the festival. Got some mates coming down from Warwick too. I'll PM you my number nearer the time, we should definitely try and meet up for a beer at some point during the festival!

Edit (after reading back a bit): Sorry I missed your earlier post btw! And this'll be my 5th time seeing Maiden :D

Saaf, probably working on the Friday morning and heading up after lunch. Actually the in-laws live in Stevenage so we're planning to crash there rather than camp, shouldn't be too hard to get a lift or a bus up to the festival. Got some mates coming down from Warwick too. !

Saaf? Is that Cockney for the south or the abbreviation of South African Air Force? :worried:

I'll PM you my number nearer the time, we should definitely try and meet up for a beer at some point during the festival

We'll see, I can't say I'm a massive fan of beer though. :P

EDIT: Iron Maiden have a countdown on their homepage that ends at midnight on Monday, and I don't know what it's for!

Incredibly Tardy Update: :)

EDIT: Iron Maiden have a countdown on their homepage that ends at midnight on Monday, and I don't know what it's for!

New song and track listing for The Final Frontier. As for the new song, I quite like it.

Picked up some metal today:

Baroness - The Blue Record (Haven't listened to it yet)

Mastodon - Leviathan

Opeth - Still Life (the band is still growing on me, but I like some of what I've heard off Blackwater Park)

Protest the Hero - Fortress (It's... uh... different, I guess is the best way to describe it. It's chaos, just super-wanky, like Dream Theater only times 1 million. Not sure if I like it yet, it just sounds like noise.

)

I've been listening to a lot of metal lately as well:

I picked up the new High on Fire album Snakes for the Divine after hearing a song from it on NPR. Wow, it took a bit to grow on me, but great stuff.

is a pretty decent progressive metal band, kinda Dream Theater-ish, but with (slightly) less wankery.

Been listening to some Voivodlately, mainly Phobos. Don't know why, but the spacey sound on that album is just great.

Hmm, I'd have to suggest some Austrian Death Machine and Demon Hunter (completely different bands, but eh what have you)

I still find my knowledge of metal rather lacking. Hooray for this thread!

Incredibly Tardy Update: :)

New song and track listing for The Final Frontier. As for the new song, I quite like it.

Picked up some metal today:

Baroness - The Blue Record (Haven't listened to it yet)

Mastodon - Leviathan

Opeth - Still Life (the band is still growing on me, but I like some of what I've heard off Blackwater Park)

Protest the Hero - Fortress (It's... uh... different, I guess is the best way to describe it. It's chaos, just super-wanky, like Dream Theater only times 1 million. Not sure if I like it yet, it just sounds like noise.

)

I've been listening to a lot of metal lately as well:

I picked up the new High on Fire album Snakes for the Divine after hearing a song from it on NPR. Wow, it took a bit to grow on me, but great stuff.

is a pretty decent progressive metal band, kinda Dream Theater-ish, but with (slightly) less wankery.

Been listening to some Voivodlately, mainly Phobos. Don't know why, but the spacey sound on that album is just great.

I think the new Iron Maiden song is pretty boring. I've only had the chance to listen to it once though, so I'll give it a chance to grow on me.

I saw Protest the Hero a few years ago, and I thought they were crap.

Whoa, Melechesh is releasing a new album soon? Awesome.

Wish I could have gone to the MDF. :( Pentagram, Deceased, Melechesh... oh man. Why do none of those bands come here? Though we're getting Deströyer 666 in August, but as an opener for another band. Bah.

As for the new Maiden song, it's rather boring. And I saw the setlist for their current tour and it's complete crap. Anyone wants a pair of tickets for Montreal? <_<

Archived