More on America's Obesity Problem

Guest Raidne

1. You won't be hungry 2 hours later. You are likely mistaking signals from your stomach, which is used to a certain volume of food as hunger pangs. Drink some water.

2. You don't HAVE to eat when you feel slightly hungry.

1. That's very counter to my experience. Well, that's not wholly true. Sometimes it's three, maybe four hours.

2. Of course you don't, and I haven't been.

Odie, I don't think there's anything else we can tell you here. I think everyone does believe you're seeing a nutrionist, but I think it's just that the total defeatism in your approach is otherwordly, so much have I never seen anything like before. People are trying to be helpful here, and you're ignoring anything helpful and just focusing on whoever seems to be questioning you so you can use their comments as proof that no one cares and that you're destined to fail.

This was a good number of pages of the last thread. There are 11 pages left to go on this on. Why not just decide to give it a real shot, work with your nutritionist, pick up Pollen's book, and try out the other advice people have offered here and move on with it?

Why are foods that are good for you revolting? This bothers me more than anything. I hate oatmeal, porridge, grits or anything like it, yet I am sure it would be a godsend for a breakfast.

I guess I am just a wuss.

Have you ever had oatmeal made from steel cut oats? It makes a world of difference over processed/instant stuff.

Plus you can do things like add apple butter or dried fruit for flavor.

http://www.mccanns.ie/pages/products1.html <--- that's the type we use FWIW

What tricks and tips do people have for reducing portion sizes? I know that it's the mantra and all, but how do people do it? I have an extremely hard time keeping away from the chips/crackers or the block of chocolate if I have had a less-than-satisfying meal. I try not to get staggeringly full, and I am quite sure that I do not eat as much as most Americans, but I am also as certain that I still eat too much. It is very hard to just leave your stomach alone if it feels half-empty, though.

#1 tip -

Start cooking your own food. Restaurant food is LOADED with extra calories. I seriously do not know how theyfit the extra calories in there. If I make a burrito, I buy some lean ground beef or turkey, cook it up in seasoning, add cheese, beans, lettuce, and home made pico de gallo. A large burrito is probably 400 calories or so, with little fat. Somehow Chipotle manages to cram another 300 calories into pretty much the same thing!

Since my resolution to be in better shape I have started cooking almost all my own meals. Not only is it fun to come up with your own recipes and cooking, it's healthier food, and you burn calories while cooking it instead of sitting in a chair waiting for someone to bring it to you!

#2 tip - take what you would normally eat, and cut it in half. Eat half now and half later. Same portion, eaten in two different servings works to keep me from getting snack cravings later on.

Odie, I don't think there's anything else we can tell you here. I think everyone does believe you're seeing a nutrionist, but I think it's just that the total defeatism in your approach is otherwordly, so much have I never seen anything like before. People are trying to be helpful here, and you're ignoring anything helpful and just focusing on whoever seems to be questioning you so you can use their comments as proof that no one cares and that you're destined to fail.

This was a good number of pages of the last thread. There are 11 pages left to go on this on. Why not just decide to give it a real shot, work with your nutritionist, pick up Pollen's book, and try out the other advice people have offered here and move on with it?

Destined to fail? No. But not destined to succeed either. I think that's more my point. Maybe things will be better when I'm more than three months out.

I'm going to keep up with the diet and activity level changes that I need to, but I don't expect it to translate to weight loss. THAT would be setting myself up to fail.

Why would I want that? What good would it do?

Even if I had someone take a picture with myself and my nutritionist, you all would claim that I paid someone to dress in a white coat and pose as one. It's that attitude which leads me to know that no one would believe me if I told the board at large the truth about what's going on with me health-wise. You'd laugh and laugh and laugh and say "so you claim" even when I'm telling the gods-honest truth, confirmed by my doctor and test results. I *am* seeing a nutritionist. Whether or not you believe me is wholly up to you.

You may well be seeing one, I have no idea.

But if you are, whatever they are saying is clearly not sinking in.

What is it that you ARE looking for from posting in this thread?

because all I am seeing from you in response to some very good advice from a lot of people is either :

'Well, that obviously isn't true because blah blah blah....'

or

"well, that might be true but I'm huuunnngggrrreeeeeee.......... '

So you tell me. What do you want to hear from posters in this thread? What kind of feedback ARE you looking for?

Oatmeal is wonderful. :)

But I still feel hungry by 10AM :/

That is why I always have fruit and a boiled egg after eating oatmeal. I spread them out, so I am not eating it all at once, and this helps me from snacking before lunch (or snack time) I still end up with under 350 calories for breakfast.

You may well be seeing one, I have no idea.

But if you are, whatever they are saying is clearly not sinking in.

What is it that you ARE looking for from posting in this thread?

because all I am seeing from you in response to some very good advice from a lot of people is either :

'Well, that obviously isn't true because blah blah blah....'

or

"well, that might be true but I'm huuunnngggrrreeeeeee.......... '

So you tell me. What do you want to hear from posters in this thread? What kind of feedback ARE you looking for?

If you say so. Both the times I went to someone they thought I was very receptive and doing the right things.

What does anyone look for by spouting off on the internet? Discussion? Validation? Trying to maybe change a viewpoint or two? I have no idea.

Have you ever had oatmeal made from steel cut oats? It makes a world of difference over processed/instant stuff.

Plus you can do things like add apple butter or dried fruit for flavor.

http://www.mccanns.ie/pages/products1.html <--- that's the type we use FWIW

Never heard of them. Are these widely available?

While we're on breakfast, are there any knowledgeable people who know how healthy these 'Fiber One' and other assorted fibrous cereals really are? They have loads of fibre and don't seem to contain too many mystery ingredients, but I am still unsure if they are really good for me or just a gimmick. I'll take the fibre, of course, but there is probably a better, slightly less appetising alternative that I can not bring myself to try.

Odie,

Okay, how do you differentiate between someone who has a pathological haterd of people who are fat and people who are rightly concerned about the high level of obesity in the US?

I don't.

#1 tip -

Start cooking your own food. Restaurant food is LOADED with extra calories. I seriously do not know how theyfit the extra calories in there. If I make a burrito, I buy some lean ground beef or turkey, cook it up in seasoning, add cheese, beans, lettuce, and home made pico de gallo. A large burrito is probably 400 calories or so, with little fat. Somehow Chipotle manages to cram another 300 calories into pretty much the same thing!

Since my resolution to be in better shape I have started cooking almost all my own meals. Not only is it fun to come up with your own recipes and cooking, it's healthier food, and you burn calories while cooking it instead of sitting in a chair waiting for someone to bring it to you!

#2 tip - take what you would normally eat, and cut it in half. Eat half now and half later. Same portion, eaten in two different servings works to keep me from getting snack cravings later on.

Yeah, fortunately my wife is a good cook (I am completely inept) and so we have home made meals about five times a week. Usually reasonably healthy stuff, too. The problem is weekends - we are always out and about doing things so we invariably eat out most meals. It's ridiculously difficult for me to find something tasty and healthy in the restaurants here in Georgia. BBQ is delicious...

I may have try that second one, hadn't really thought of that.

If you say so. Both the times I went to someone they thought I was very receptive and doing the right things.

Then you obviously aren't responding to them the way you are responding here.

Any nutritionist that tells you that a naked burrito from Chipotle with cheese and sour cream is a good food choice for someone trying to lose weight should be shot on sight.

I don't.

The defense rests.

You probably can't have too many dry roasted green breans with a little soy sauce, or whatever.

Do you make them yourself? Recipe!

Inspiring story:

My friend lost almost 100 lbs doing Weight Watchers and CoolRunning's couch to 5K and then continuing to exercise 2-3 miles/day. She was 5'4" and 232 lbs when she started and now she's 138 lbs and happy with that weight. Before she started WW, she was considering lap band surgery and always saying that she had tried every kind of (unsustainable) diet and it hadn't worked for her. Then she actually started counting every single calorie that went into her mouth and was shocked to realize how many "little treats" she just brushed over in her mind, while she was claiming that she did her best to eat healthy. She follows WW's points system now and enters 5K races to stay motivated. It's been 2 years and she's like a different person.

Inspiring story:

My friend lost almost 100 lbs doing Weight Watchers and CoolRunning's couch to 5K and then continuing to exercise 2-3 miles/day. She was 5'4" and 232 lbs when she started and now she's 138 lbs and happy with that weight. Before she started WW, she was considering lap band surgery and always saying that she had tried every kind of (unsustainable) diet and it hadn't worked for her. Then she actually started counting every single calorie that went into her mouth and was shocked to realize how many "little treats" she just brushed over in her mind, while she was claiming that she did her best to eat healthy. She follows WW's points system now and enters 5K races to stay motivated. It's been 2 years and she's like a different person.

Awesome!

Can't overstate the value of keeping a food diary.

In truth, it's really best with even 1/2 tsp of olive oil, but I've done it dry. Same as the asparagus from the other thread - equal parts balsamic and soy sauce to taste (probaly 1 tsp total for 2 servings?), pepper, sea salt or kosher salt. Toss. Broil. Usually about 8 minutes. I cook them in the toaster. You can add lemon, herbs, garlic, shallots, whatever, but I'd use a little more oil if you're going to broil anything with garlic or shallots. Maybe it's not for everyone - the beans do brown a bit, but I like them that way.

And yeah, doing something seriously anally retentive like that is the only way I've ever heard of people losing large amounts of weight.

Food diaries are vital for some people.

I was watching a program on people's mis-measurements of food on TV a few months ago, and there was one case that was absolutely heartbreaking. The mother of an obese 5-year old was absolutely adamant that there was something medically wrong with her son, even though the doctors couldn't find anything. She would also constantly point out that he was only eating healthy food, not junk. (Which was true, within reason. His vegetables still tended to be starchy, and he did get treats once a day, but it's not like she plunked him down with his own 64-oz bag of Cheetos.)

However, as the cameras followed her around, the amounts of food were staggering. She was feeding the 5-year old a grown adult's portion of everything. Yes, dinner was peas and carrots and chicken, but it was probably 4 times the amount of food he actually needed. When the presenter tried pointing this out to her, she immediately retreated to "No, it's all healthy!" and wouldn't listen. They didn't ever calculate the daily caloric intake, as far as I know, but it wouldn't have surprised me if he was eating well over 2000 calories. Fine for an adult, and I know there's leeway for active/growing kids, but overkill for someone whose average weight for age would be more like 40-45 pounds.

Archived