More on America's Obesity Problem

Guest Raidne

how come fiftheach says her husband burns 1200 calories an hour and everyone just accepts it, i say i burn 1000 and everyone tells me i'm full of shit?

also with regards to what jaerv said, maybe that is also why they are so much more bat shit crazy about religion than other western countries.

how come fiftheach says her husband burns 1200 calories an hour and everyone just accepts it, i say i burn 1000 and everyone tells me i'm full of shit?

Oh I have doubts about that too, but he's not on the board, so can't be called out for it.

It's my understanding that the calorie counters on those machines are considering a fairly inefficient exerciser. I would expect someone who had adjusted to regularly running 7:30 pace without a huge amount of trouble to have developed a good deal of running efficiency. Muscular efficiency is something that increases with experience.

Additionally, although this would have to be tested for an individual, a person who was more drawn to running longer distances is often one who burns a relatively high amount of fat compared to glucose, which also expends less calories.

If you want a better estimate than the treadmill, use a heart rate monitor.

I don't know if there's any scientific basis for this, but it's been my observation that the body somehow adjusts to running long distances. I've known a lot of college type runners, and even a mediocre runner like me was averaging 60 mpw my last year of college. I know several people who've gone over 100 for multiple weeks. And these people neither seemed to be eating 10000 extra calories per week nor losing weight at an alarming rate. I think to some level, as the effort to run at a certain pace becomes significantly easier, the amount of calories burned must decrease or metabolic efficiency must go through the floor. I personally don't have a particularly slow metabolism in general though.

He's 6 ft at 190 lb, with an excellent heart rate. Yes he does run fast, about 8.5 mph or so on the mill (7 minute mile I was just told), but I agree treadmills aren't really reliable... I'd say at 60 minutes he burns more like 1000 cal not 1200.

I burn about 500 calories in an hour, sucks for me. But I'm a slower runner, a bit shorter than husband, and weigh less.

I think you said you exercise for 90 min and burn 1500 cal? That would be about right calorie wise if you run 7.5 min mile or faster (if your a runner). It also depends on your height, weight, fitness level, etc...

That wasn't me. ;)

So on average, a 150 pound person will burn approx 100 calories running a 10 minute mile. More if you weigh more, less if you weigh less.

Yep. That sounds about tight.

Oh I have doubts about that too, but he's not on the board, so can't be called out for it.

It's my understanding that the calorie counters on those machines are considering a fairly inefficient exerciser. I would expect someone who had adjusted to regularly running 7:30 pace without a huge amount of trouble to have developed a good deal of running efficiency. Muscular efficiency is something that increases with experience.

Additionally, although this would have to be tested for an individual, a person who was more drawn to running longer distances is often one who burns a relatively high amount of fat compared to glucose, which also expends less calories.

If you want a better estimate than the treadmill, use a heart rate monitor.

I don't know if there's any scientific basis for this, but it's been my observation that the body somehow adjusts to running long distances. I've known a lot of college type runners, and even a mediocre runner like me was averaging 60 mpw my last year of college. I know several people who've gone over 100 for multiple weeks. And these people neither seemed to be eating 10000 extra calories per week nor losing weight at an alarming rate. I think to some level, as the effort to run at a certain pace becomes significantly easier, the amount of calories burned must decrease or metabolic efficiency must go through the floor. I personally don't have a particularly slow metabolism in general though.

I put this link on my last post where you can add in your body weight, age, sex, and speed you run at (or whatever exercise you do) and it gives you the calories burned... It's basic math. You burn more if you exercise harder, are heavier, etc... I don't know what the mystery is, he's a runner- does marathons, but has a bit more meat on his body than he should because he loves to eat, and so he burns more calories than he would if he weighed less. He's also 43 years, so his body will burn differently than a 23 or 33 yr old... If he were an athlete he would burn even less calories because his body would be working more efficiently. All these things (and more) make up the difference between burning more or less calories. I agree about the heart rate monitor, they give an accurate reading and better than a treadmill.

also with regards to what jaerv said, maybe that is also why they are so much more bat shit crazy about religion than other western countries.

Sorry, thought it was Swordfish who mentioned the 1000 cal an hour not you.

I didn't say you (or Swordfish :D) are full of shit, I'm showing that it is possible depending on the intensity of workout, weight, age, etc... Most people don't run on the treadmill very fast, usually a 10 min mile (which is accepted average) or less, and will burn less. As I said in my previous post, what's generally agreed is if a 150lb person runs a 10 min mile (6mph) they will burn 100 calories. Now if you weigh more, run faster (my husband does a 7 min mile), are male (because men have more muscle to fat ratio), etc.., the calories burned will be more.

Also, I said the treadmill said 1200 calories burned in an hour, but treadmills tend to be off and he said it's more like 1000 cal for an hour run at a 7 min mile clip (that's pretty fast).

And yeah, word on the whole religion thing. WTF is wrong with us? We're fat and sanctimonious!

I put this link on my last post where you can add in your body weight, age, sex, and speed you run at (or whatever exercise you do) and it gives you the calories burned... It's basic math. You burn more if you exercise harder, are heavier, etc... I don't know what the mystery is, he's a runner- does marathons, but has a bit more meat on his body than he should because he loves to eat, and so he burns more calories than he would if he weighed less... He's also 43 years, so his body will burn differently than a 23 or 33 yr old... If he were an athlete he would burn even less calories because his body would be working more efficiently. All these things (and more) make up the difference between burning more or less calories.

Sorry, thought it was Swordfish who mentioned the 1000 cal an hour not you.

I didn't say you (or Swordfish :D) are full of shit, I'm showing that it is possible depending on the intensity of workout, weight, age, etc... Most people don't run on the treadmill very fast, usually a 10 min mile (which is accepted average) or less, and will burn less. As I said in my previous post, what's generally agreed is if a 150lb person runs a 10 min mile they will burn 100 calories. Now if you weigh more, run faster (my husband does a 7 min mile), are male (because men have more muscle to fat ratio), etc.., the calories burned will be more.

Also, I said the treadmill said 1200 calories burned in an hour, but treadmills tend to be off and he said it's more like 1000 cal for an hour run at a 7 min mile clip (that's pretty fast).

Sounds about right. Although you also burn fewer calories on the treadmill than you do running on the road or trail. But either way, you're right, an hour on the treadmill at that pace will most definitely burn a ton of calories.

I have been doing a lot of trail running the last year, and that REALLY burns calories.

Sounds about right. Although you also burn fewer calories on the treadmill than you do running on the road or trail. But either way, you're right, an hour on the treadmill at that pace will most definitely burn a ton of calories.

I have been doing a lot of trail running the last year, and that REALLY burns calories.

I was under the impression, from articles I've read, that setting the treadmill to 1% incline compensates for the varying terrain you would get out on the sidewalk or road, thus making the calorie burning almost equal.

Very true, trail running and outdoor running (even on a track) will always be better and burn more. He runs outside quite a bit but I can't keep up with him, so he'll treadmill next to me in bad weather.

I was under the impression, from articles I've read, that setting the treadmill to 1% incline compensates for the varying terrain you would get out on the sidewalk or road, thus making the calorie burning almost equal.

I read it was more like 2%, but then you don't get wind resistance on the treadmill so I don't know if they're really equal.

And yeah, word on the whole religion thing. WTF is wrong with us? We're fat and sanctimonious!

I would say that a lot of people who are thin and non-religious can get just as sanctimonious on food/health/weight issues as some religious people get about, say, sex.

We're just big on puritanical attitudes here, apparently. Even if you ditch religion, there's still deadly sins like gluttony to worry about. :thumbsdown:

I would say that a lot of people who are thin and non-religious can get just as sanctimonious on food/health/weight issues as some religious people get about, say, sex.

We're just big on puritanical attitudes here, apparently. Even if you ditch religion, there's still deadly sins like gluttony to worry about. :thumbsdown:

Gluttony is fine, I just don't want to hear people whine about how it's not their fault. I say if a person is a glutton, own up about it and don't act the victim. At least religious people are honest about why they have issues with sex, even if the why is make believe. :P

re: treadmill and incline

A 1% treadmill grade most accurately reflects the

energetic cost of outdoor running

ANDREW M. JONES and JONATHAN H. DOUST

Chelsea School Research Centre, University of Brighton, Gaudick Road, Eastbourne BN20 7SP, UK

Accepted 21 January 1996

Anyhoo, treadmill, road, trails - as long as people are out doing it.

When I'm not lazy and actually walk, I do set the treadmill to 1% incline and it makes a noticeable difference in my calves and hamstrings.

I don't like walking (which isn't running, granted) outside because uneven surfaces irritate prior knee damage and more recently my hips.

Chelsea School Research Centre, University of Brighton, Gaudick Road, Eastbourne BN20 7SP, UK

Accepted 21 January 1996

When I'm not lazy and actually walk, I do set the treadmill to 1% incline and it makes a noticeable difference in my calves and hamstrings.

I don't like walking (which isn't running, granted) outside because uneven surfaces irritate prior knee damage and more recently my hips.

Good to know, I'll put my incline down to 1% because 2% kills! But I think the bonus for trail running is that you use muscles (for balance) you wont use on the treadmill or a flat surface like the track. I don't know if exercising those balance muscles burns more calories, or if it just works out more of the body... :dunno:

But if it hurts your knees and hips, don't do it.

Accepted 21 January 1996

Absolutely.

There are just so many benefits to it that go way beyond calories burned.

Someone brought up the show Man vs. Food. There's a marathon on, so I'm watching it right now. Sweet zombie jesus. Not only are the portions ridiculously over the top, but you can just tell how insanely unhealthy the food is even if it was served in a normal sized portion. There's no real colour to the food. Everything is just white, yellow, beige. It's so horrifyingly stomach-turning, yet I can't look away. And it's making me hungry for some nasty ass takeout ffs.

Someone brought up the show Man vs. Food. There's a marathon on, so I'm watching it right now. Sweet zombie jesus. Not only are the portions ridiculously over the top, but you can just tell how insanely unhealthy the food is even if it was served in a normal sized portion. There's no real colour to the food. Everything is just white, yellow, beige. It's so horrifyingly stomach-turning, yet I can't look away. And it's making me hungry for some nasty ass takeout ffs.

yeah, that was me, i just hope to god that restaurants/diners etc that are on this show are the exception rather than the rule. but man i could eat a 6lb burrito right now.

There are new research results that show that a virus plays a role in the development of obesity:

Here’s the abstract of an interesting article published in the newest issue of Pediatrics:

Adenovirus 36 and Obesity in Children and Adolescents

Charles Gabbert, Michael Donohue, John Arnold, Jeffrey B. Schwimmer

OBJECTIVE The primary aim of this study was to assess the relationship between adenovirus 36 (AD36)-specific antibodies and obesity in children.

METHODS A cross-sectional study of children 8 to 18 years of age was performed. Children were classified according to BMI percentile as nonobese (<95th percentile) or obese ( 95th percentile). The presence of AD36-specific neutralizing antibodies was assessed by using the serum neutralization assay.

RESULTS A total of 124 children (median age: 13.6 years) were studied. Of those children, 46% were nonobese and 54% were obese. AD36 positivity was present in 19 children (15%). The majority of children found to be AD36-positive were obese (15 [78%] of 19 children). AD36 positivity was significantly (P < .05) more frequent in obese children (15 [22%] of 67 children) than nonobese children (4 [7%] of 57 children). Among the subset of children who were obese, those who were AD36-positive had significantly larger anthropometric measures, including weight, BMI, waist circumference, and waist/height ratio.

CONCLUSION These data support an association of obesity and higher body weight with the presence of neutralizing antibodies to AD36 in children. If a cause-and-effect relationship is established, it would have considerable implications for the prevention and treatment of childhood obesity.

"when my diets fail again and the weight comes back"

from watching folks in class over the last 4 years, this is the thing that we hear and see the most in the first day of class - I've done XX diets and the weight comes back after I stop.

Well, there's the problem - your diet is anything you put into your system; going on a diet is like a project - it is a short term endeavor to achieve a specific goal. Once you hit that target - what then? that is the real reason most diets fail - regardless of how effective and healthy it is. You can eat green beans, no skin chicken breast, etc to meet your goal - but once you get there, then what do you do? go back to your prior behaviors and patterns, well, the door just opened back up to the fat/weight gain.

Sustainability is the reason diets fail - you have to change your diet (the permanent one, not the short term one) if you want to retain your body changes for the long term.

There were some comments a few days ago about journaling - we find it to be absolutely criticial to honestly journal. most people are very surprised when they look back at what they wrote down. "I don't REEMBER even having xxxx"

There are new research results that show that a virus plays a role in the development of obesity:

Here’s the abstract of an interesting article published in the newest issue of Pediatrics:

I've heard/read theories about this before, and I'm very torn about it.

While a vaccine could help a lot of kids, I don't feel right about vaccinating against what is more of a social disease (discrimination) than an actual one.

I also don't like that it would be used to create MORE discrimination, because the common perception on TOP of all the other negative perceptions of fat people would be OMG YOU'RE DISEASED.

A vaccine would obviously be useless to those who have already contracted the virus. I could easily see it coming down to the same issue I've struggled with for years in my head - if being fat is so bad, why won't doctors (or more specifically, insurance companies) DO anything about it? Would it become "Oh well, tough luck, there's nothing we can do oh by the way we're dropping your coverage have a nice day!" or would actual treatments be sought out?

Archived