More on America's Obesity Problem

Guest Raidne

Awesome!

Can't overstate the value of keeping a food diary.

I'm trying to make my husband keep one right now. We eat quite healthy meals, but when he's out on the job site there are countless little treats and coffee breaks. I know when I keep track I am much more likely to skip taking a mini bar from the candy dish on my way past at the office.

I've been opposed to getting a scale and measuring portion sizes for a long time, but I think I'm starting to come around. If only because we need to be a good example for some other family members and although I think our portions are reasonable, I might be kidding myself. I know we probably eat too much pasta because I like a curved pasta plate and ours are ridiculously huge. But I'm beginning to wonder about even our smaller plates. There may be some Goodwill or garage sales in my future!

But my downfall is the beer. It's always the beer.

We use our salad plates for dinner plates most nights. The aforementioned prepackaged PF Changs and a half cup of rice fit on that, easily.

Our dinner plates are huge. This is really great for salad night, but otherwise I actually use my kitchen scale so often now that I don't ever really put it away. It's the only way to keep pasta in check, IMO.

By the way, let me mention briefly that with all that and generally really watching what I eat, I'm not losing weight either. I walk two miles a day (continuously, I walk around a lot otherwise, also) and eat 1600 calories during the week. I eat reasonably on the weekend, but I drink a lot of calories then too.

Do you make them yourself? Recipe!

Inspiring story:

My friend lost almost 100 lbs doing Weight Watchers and CoolRunning's couch to 5K and then continuing to exercise 2-3 miles/day. She was 5'4" and 232 lbs when she started and now she's 138 lbs and happy with that weight. Before she started WW, she was considering lap band surgery and always saying that she had tried every kind of (unsustainable) diet and it hadn't worked for her. Then she actually started counting every single calorie that went into her mouth and was shocked to realize how many "little treats" she just brushed over in her mind, while she was claiming that she did her best to eat healthy. She follows WW's points system now and enters 5K races to stay motivated. It's been 2 years and she's like a different person.

That's amazing. Good for her.

I have thought of WW many times, but always find a reason not to. *sigh* I am following close to what my LAWL plan was a few years.

I've been opposed to getting a scale and measuring portion sizes for a long time, but I think I'm starting to come around. If only because we need to be a good example for some other family members and although I think our portions are reasonable, I might be kidding myself. I know we probably eat too much pasta because I like a curved pasta plate and ours are ridiculously huge. But I'm beginning to wonder about even our smaller plates. There may be some Goodwill or garage sales in my future!

But my downfall is the beer. It's always the beer.

Measuring and weighing food was a huge shocker for me. I felt I ate mostly reasonable sized meals. I couldn't finish a meal out, so I knew I was eating less than a lot of people, but when I started weighing and measuring, I learned that even my smaller meals were too big.

I have to get my husband to agree to do this. He overfeeds our son (who is skinny, but so was I until 30)

It has been torture giving up most beer since trying to get in shape. Torture I tell you.

Oh god I know! I've cut out beer since low calories beers are not worth drinking. There are days that I want nothing more then a delicious beer.

And yeah, doing something seriously anally retentive like that is the only way I've ever heard of people losing large amounts of weight.

I don't know if it's true for everyone, but she doesn't have to be so anal retentive about it anymore now that she knows what a portion size should look like and isn't in denial about snacking. She still keeps track of points but doesn't need to weigh things and can make estimates about things if she's honest about how much it actually is.

Just went upstairs to grab In Defense of Food. Man I love working in a library.

I just wanted to add to those having trouble drinking water or not drinking pop, try sparkling water with a lemon wedge. Someone in the weight loss challenge thread recommended sparkling water as a pop substitute, and it saved me. It's been a couple of weeks since I had a can of pop, and I don't even want one anymore, and I was a hardcore pop addict. I am able to get a six pack of 500ml bottles of Perrier for just under $6, but I've noticed the store brand stuff is even cheaper.

Then you obviously aren't responding to them the way you are responding here.

Any nutritionist that tells you that a naked burrito from Chipotle with cheese and sour cream is a good food choice for someone trying to lose weight should be shot on sight.

I am going to a nutritionist. I didn't say it was to lose weight.

Odie,

Why not? Is being concerned about high levels of obesity unreasonable?

If it's a concern about fixing the underlying problems in our society, yes.

If it's an excuse to stick your nose into other people's business in the name of their "health", no.

Fixing obesity requires both.

Only if you're a doctor who notices a specific medical issue. Otherwise it's none of your business. You have no idea if a person has real health issues or is just overweight. Addressing the problems from the previous thread on this issue would help a lot more than sanctimonious health nazi's demonizing their fellow man for existing.

Just went upstairs to grab In Defense of Food. Man I love working in a library.

I just wanted to add to those having trouble drinking water or not drinking pop, try sparkling water with a lemon wedge. Someone in the weight loss challenge thread recommended sparkling water as a pop substitute, and it saved me. It's been a couple of weeks since I had a can of pop, and I don't even want one anymore, and I was a hardcore pop addict. I am able to get a six pack of 500ml bottles of Perrier for just under $6, but I've noticed the store brand stuff is even cheaper.

seltzer water or Club soda, too. You can buy a 2 liter for a dollar or a 12 pack at some stores for only 3 or 4 dollars. That's how I was able to stop drinking pop. Zero calories, no salt, but all that soothing carbonation.

*breaks arm patting self on the back* MEDIC!!! ;)

Only if you're a doctor who notices a specific medical issue. Otherwise it's none of your business. You have no idea if a person has real health issues or is just overweight. Addressing the problems from the previous thread on this issue would help a lot more than sanctimonious health nazi's demonizing their fellow man for existing.

Problems and excuses are not the same thing.

And no, people aren't being demonized for existing. They are being criticized for gluttony. And not criticized that much incidentally.

Problems and excuses are not the same thing.

And no, people aren't being demonized for existing. They are being criticized for gluttony. And not criticized that much incidentally.

eta: bold mine

"FAT" people aren't the only people that have trouble with denial. :lmao:

Archived