More on America's Obesity Problem

Guest Raidne

eta: bold mine

"FAT" people aren't the only people that have trouble with denial. :lmao:

I still read the Guardian since I am from the UK and I guarantee that there are more opinion pieces in that paper criticizing underweight celebrities or fashion and/or excusing the overweight than being critical of fat.

Way more.

Problems and excuses are not the same thing.

And no, people aren't being demonized for existing. They are being criticized for gluttony. And not criticized that much incidentally.

Fat people are criticized and judged every day just by walking into a room. But I suppose if it's not happening to you, it's acceptable.

Random question: For those you with gym memberships how vital do you find having a dedicated locker on-site and/or towel service? I'm pricing options and it seems that they really nickel and dime you!

My gym gave me my own locker free for the first year. However, once that year was up, I didn't pay to keep it. There were enough "public" lockers (with locks) in the locker room so that I never have to worry about finding a spot.

The only time I almost had a problem was after New Years, when the "resolution" crowd (I sort of hate them) comes in.

So, just make sure your prospective gym has a enough public lockers of reasonable size and you should be fine.

Fat people are criticized and judged every day just by walking into a room. But I suppose if it's not happening to you, it's acceptable.

Can't be stigmatized that much when they form the (growing) majority can they?

Or do you think fat people are criticial of each other?

I still read the Guardian since I am from the UK and I guarantee that there are more opinion pieces in that paper criticizing underweight celebrities or fashion and/or excusing the overweight than being critical of fat.

Way more.

Just go look at some American tabloids and see all the atricles about fat celebrities. Check out the fashion mags and see the models who are photoshopped to look super skinny. Or just re-read this board and see how America has an obesity problem and see how it's quicky gone on for 2 threads now. :P

Just went upstairs to grab In Defense of Food. Man I love working in a library.

I just wanted to add to those having trouble drinking water or not drinking pop, try sparkling water with a lemon wedge. Someone in the weight loss challenge thread recommended sparkling water as a pop substitute, and it saved me. It's been a couple of weeks since I had a can of pop, and I don't even want one anymore, and I was a hardcore pop addict. I am able to get a six pack of 500ml bottles of Perrier for just under $6, but I've noticed the store brand stuff is even cheaper.

I got a home seltzer-making machine a couple of years ago and it's been awesome. I don't drink soda any more except on rare occasions when nothing else is available.

I like a slice of lemon or lime or just a splash of cranberry juice (with lime!) in my seltzer.

Just go look at some American tabloids and see all the atricles about fat celebrities. Check out the fashion mags and see the models who are photoshopped to look super skinny. Or just re-read this board and see how America has an obesity problem and see how it's quicky gone on for 2 threads now. :P

And you will see articles about celebrities who are all skin and bone. Or who have wrinkles. Or a tummy tuck/boob job gone wrong. Fat is simply one of a laundry list of things they like to hit celebrities with.

As for the thread itself, well that is just as much due to posts from the other side of the fence isn't it. For every person who says people need to take responsibility we have someone else saying its not their fault. So its not all on one side and all critical by any means.

I got a home seltzer-making machine a couple of years ago and it's been awesome. I don't drink soda any more except on rare occasions when nothing else is available.

I like a slice of lemon or lime or just a splash of cranberry juice (with lime!) in my seltzer.

Ooohh!!! I'm totally looking for one of those. Thanks!

If it's a concern about fixing the underlying problems in our society, yes.

If it's an excuse to stick your nose into other people's business in the name of their "health", no.

Only if you're a doctor who notices a specific medical issue. Otherwise it's none of your business. You have no idea if a person has real health issues or is just overweight. Addressing the problems from the previous thread on this issue would help a lot more than sanctimonious health nazi's demonizing their fellow man for existing.

Good grief. You stuck you nose out there. No one came and asked you about your eating habits here, you interjected your personal situation into the conversation.

FFS, the only one being sanctimonious here is you.

He's a witch!

BUUUURRRRNNNNN him!!!!!!!!

Random question: For those you with gym memberships how vital do you find having a dedicated locker on-site and/or towel service? I'm pricing options and it seems that they really nickel and dime you!

I don't have this and it's a minor inconvenience at the most. I wouldn't pay even a small fee for it, but that could just be because i'm used to it.

I think it's generally easier for guys though.

It also probably depends on how busy the place is during the times you expect to be working out.

Can't be stigmatized that much when they form the (growing) majority can they?

Or do you think fat people are criticial of each other?

But see, that's the thing. They don't. People may be getting fatter on the whole, but truly fat people are still an outlier, nowhere near the majority. And it's an outlier that society accepts as being worthy of scorn.

Never heard of them. Are these widely available?

We've never had a problem finding them, but again, that's just one specific brand. You can find them in bulk sections as well, no need to buy a specific brand. :)

Good grief. You stuck you nose out there. No one came and asked you about your eating habits here, you interjected your personal situation into the conversation.

FFS, the only one being sanctimonious here is you.

I wasn't talking specifically about myself. Criticize away. You'll probably be wrong, but go for it!

But see, that's the thing. They don't. People may be getting fatter on the whole, but truly fat people are still an outlier, nowhere near the majority. And it's an outlier that society accepts as being worthy of scorn.

The average is constantly moving upwards, so to be an outlier now you have to really, really be fat.

And when you are that overweight then yeah, you're going to attract comment. Not sure why that should be a surprise.

You burn 1000 calories an hour doing what?

This is doable. My huband and I went to the gym yesterday and he ran on the treadmill for 60 minutes and burned around 1200 calories (what the treadmill said). It goes by weight and age and speed, and he's a real runner- sweats like a pig. So it is possible to burn 6000 cal a week if you work out like this 6 days a week- but he also eats what he wants and loves the brew, so he maintains and doesn't loose weight. I remember reading that the olympic swimmer Micheal Phelps burns (when training) around 6000 cal A DAY- but he's burning this when training, is an olympic class athlete, and is freaking huge. Could explain why he smokes the ganja, he needs to keep his appitite up to fuel his body... ;-p

The average is constantly moving upwards, so to be an outlier now you have to really, really be fat.

And when you are that overweight then yeah, you're going to attract comment. Not sure why that should be a surprise.

Surprised? No. Not in this shallow society that values looks over anything else.

Archived