NFL vol. 5

Rockroi

Fuck! this game is gonna end up being played with flags on the receivers, since the DB's are now not being allowed to hit them at all. I hope Austin Collie is fine, but Phil Simms is wrong. There was NO helmet to helmet contact, they sandwiched him. The play was a fumble, the freaking refs completely blew it and the penalty is a complete travesty. Football is a violent game, Collie is a small guy and shit happens when you agree to sacrifice your body and health for a big paycheck.

The rules committee is gonna destroy this game.

P.S. I see that Simms changed his opinion, saying the hit has legal. At least he is principled enough to admit that's how the game is played.

There was helmet to helmet contact. The second guy who hit him (42 I think) hit the side of Collie's helmet with his own. Not exactly his fault, since it wouldn't have been helmet to helmet if the first Philly player hadn't hit Collie first.

42's hit was also the hit that knocked Collie out. Collie was out before he touched the ground.

I can take losing on the road to a "meh" team; but the total lack of offense in the first half, combined with NO DEFENSE AT ALL in the second, the muff'd KO return, the fumble to end the first half and the cavalcade of dropped passes (Brandon Tate- if the ball hits you in the hands, YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO CATCH THAT) makes me want to swallow lye. Or watch Rex Ryan celebrate... or the media blow spew over Brett Favre... again... well... at least I didn't swallow the lye.

But hey, at least Randy Moss is still dead.

There was helmet to helmet contact. The second guy who hit him (42 I think) hit the side of Collie's helmet with his own. Not exactly his fault, since it wouldn't have been helmet to helmet if the first Philly player hadn't hit Collie first.

I disagree, but as Simms commented, and the replay shows clearly. Collie caught the ball, wrapped both arms around it, took TWO steps forward and initiated the contact with the first tackler. He didn't see or couldn't avoid 42 hitting him almost simultaneously, but BOTH hits were legal and Collie fumbled the ball after being sandwiched. Totally blown call by the refs, and the penalty was complete bullshit.

Sure it is a legal hit because Collie did have 2 steps. It was a helmet to helmet hit though. That is 100% indisputable from watching the replays.

Doesn't make sense to continue debating the helmet contact, it's moot. Incidental helmet to helmet contact with a RUNNER is allowed. And Collie was clearly running. This "protect the receiver" mindset is making it impossible not only play pass defense, but even tackle hard. It's gonna ruin the game, turn it into an outdoor version of Arena football.

That's a bit of hyperbole. Back in the 40s and 50s players wore leather helmets. Because of that they didn't do stupid shit like leading with your head when tackling. Sure the tackling was a bit more rugbyish but there were still plenty of big hits. Wrapping up has been replaced with launching your body at the ball carrier. That needs to be changed before something catastrophic happens. Probably the best thing they could do for the NFL is go to a softer helmet. They need to of course make one that doesn't look like crap, but with today's tech that is definitely possible. Once defenders realize they can't stiffen their shoulders/neck and lead with the upper body some sanity will return to the game.

Continuing with the madness of the 2010 season, the Raiders have somehow sold out a home game, condemning me to watching Raiders football instead of good football.

So far everything has gone as expected. The Raiders offense end every play with a penalty, turnover, or Lechler 105 yard punt. Their defense plays just well enough that they aren't getting blown out. And I have no idea what to make of the Chiefs as a result.

ETA: Well what do you know? They decide to score while I was posting. 3 point game now.

Edit: And the Polish Cannon misses a game tying field goal after a botched KO return. This game is all kinds of *facepalm*.

The hit on Collie was a legal one; I'm kind of OK with it being a penalty b/c it's hard to assess intent on-field and I prefer to err on that side, but I think there's no chance he'll be suspended or fined for it.

That said, Sword, there was distinct helmet to helmet contact, which is what knocked him out; it's just that he didn't lead or intentionally hit with the helmet, which is why the hit should be considered OK by the league.

Somewhere in the third quarter, this changed from a sloppy, aggravating game into a sloppy, entertaining game. And the Raiders win in OT.

Edit: Random Packer on NBC live television coming out of commercial: "We got this shit!" :lol:

I hope you do. Gotta love live tv.

Seeing what Jacob Tamme is doing these past two games makes me kinda wonder if Dallas Clark is really all that good...

Clark is a good blocker in both pass protection and for runblocking; I don't know that Tamme is on his level there yet. As far as a reciever goes, Clark is good, but any other good TE could probably have similar numbers with Manning, as we're seeing Tamme do; but **channels Kalbear** recievers are pretty fungible in the Colts' offense; look at the weapons he's made out of Garcon/Collie/Blair White/Gonzalez (when he's able to walk); hell, even Reggie Wayne was "the guy who lined up on the other side of the field from Marvin Harrison" at one point.

With the way the Cowboy O is playing could we be seeing back to back shutouts for the Packers D?

(Clay Matthews is a beast)

I have to agree with everyone that has said this has been a weird season of football in general....pro, college and even the High School football in my area has seen a bizarre amount of upsets and outstanding play by usually not so notable teams and players. I have been loving it.

The Packers are playing really solid right now, which boggles my mind considering beat up this team is. I now feel bad for all the things I've said against McCarthy and the rest of the coaching staff previously in this forum. They've done a hell of a job salvaging their season with a patched together line-up. Even though my concerns about McCarthy have not been completely alleviated but I will give him credit for where credit is due.

Of course Dallas is just hopeless. This is simply an awful football team. The team has simply given up. I can't recall a team with such high preseason expectations turning out just plain bad before.

Another observation from this game: Clay Matthews is making a case for defensive player of the year. He's simply devastating.

hell, even Reggie Wayne was "the guy who lined up on the other side of the field from Marvin Harrison" at one point.

Wayne was pretty high-profile from day one, though the Colts did ease him in as a rookie. They spent a first-rounder on him.

Archived