NFL vol. 5

Rockroi

Yeah, pretty sure they're all 15-yd facemasks.

This is ridiculous, though, and I FUCKING LOVE IT. Anybody think we'll see Wade resign tonight?

I keep flashing to the opening of "the Last Boy Scout" and see Jerry Jones taking the part of the scared running back, breaking out of the box and capping Wade Phillips, saying "Ain't life a bitch" and then shooting himself...

I think they have all been 15 yards for several seasons now.

Honestly I'm really starting to feel the way people are in that Onion article. The cowboys are so incredibly pathetic I'm almost feeling sorry for them...

...except not really. I'm loving this.

ETA: Well damn, no shut out.

Were I Zygi Wilf, that press conference would have ended Brad Childress' employment. As a Head Coach, you don't openly mock a key player by name. Especially after a win. Privately, such feelings are not only fine but practically required of one who regularly deals with the Princess of Hattiesburg. But going on the air with it was decidedly not managerial. You are gone.

ETA: The incidental face mask rule was eliminated before the 2008 season. In theory, this was supposed to result in an incidental face mask being a non-foul. But the refs still throw the flags and they now only have fifteen yard options.

The incidental face mask rule was eliminated before the 2008 season. In theory, this was supposed to result in an incidental face mask being a non-foul. But the refs still throw the flags and they now only have fifteen yard options.

I guess that's why I didn't notice. But how aggravating. That was about as incidental as they come. His head didn't move an inch and the mask was released right away.

Edit: So I guess I can stand behind my original statement: That was NOT a 15 yard facemask.

Lawrence Phillips... :tantrum:

Edit: Al Michaels is ruining my 49er/stress free bye week. Damnit.

Why can't the Packers use some of their larger backs as TE's a la Chris Cooley? Or even a DE? Instead of the LOL OLDSCHOOL formations?

Were I Zygi Wilf, that press conference would have ended Brad Childress' employment. As a Head Coach, you don't openly mock a key player by name. Especially after a win. Privately, such feelings are not only fine but practically required of one who regularly deals with the Princess of Hattiesburg. But going on the air with it was decidedly not managerial. You are gone.

ETA: The incidental face mask rule was eliminated before the 2008 season. In theory, this was supposed to result in an incidental face mask being a non-foul. But the refs still throw the flags and they now only have fifteen yard options.

What did he say?

Something like, "I'm not gonna come out here like Brett Favre and tell you guys I need a hug..." referencing a joke Favre made in a press conference earlier this week. I'll see if I can find a story or a clip.

Seriously, why do I ever doubt the Pats, their insane head coach or their incredibly gifted and a little too attractive QB? What’s the point?!?! We currently have like 6 WRs with a combined height of 28 feet; a RB who was cut by the Jets, another who was undrafted; our QB also throws to 6 targets (Welker, Hernandez, Gromkowski, Tate, Branch, and Woodhead), five of whom he did not throw to last season, our D is made up of people I could not name if I had a map, a roster and 11 extra guesses. Oh and we just happen to have the best record in football. The Pats traded a guy this season for a 4th round pick and that guy lasted all of 4 games with his new team. We are undefeated since.

-The Jets will be fine. No, really. It was only the first game of the season where the offense really had to step up and win the game and it just so happened that during that game, Sanchez threw 2 INTs with a QB rating in the 40s. I’m sure that won’t happen again. That much.

Oh, Rockroi. I've missed that Patriot fan hubris that gets so immediately and dramatically punished. Losing to the Mangini-led Jets is one thing; losing to the Mangini-led Browns though...that's gotta hurt.

Aren't the Jets now the same record as the Pats? And who holds the tiebreaker in the division?

And what's even funnier is that the Bears have one fewer wins than the Pats. Hee.

Oops too early to condemn the Jets. They still got a chance.

Never fear, they were playing the Lions.

Insane comeback by the Jets there. Drew Stanton is awful.

See? Stanton sucks but what was worse was the call for him to actually try to complete a pass on 3rd and 2 while up three points with just a couple minutes left in the game. Run the ball? Suck some clock? No, this is the Lions. Adding insult to injury Stanton doesn't even have the sense to take the sack and lobs some half-assed throw for the incompletion. Clock stops... Here Jets, take 40 free seconds with which to tie us. Please.

Why did Stanton play? What happened to Stafford?

He got the same previously injured shoulder whacked in the 4th. Too early for the Lions to start looking for another QB that'll save the team?

All-in-all it's probably a good thing the Jets didn't lose to the hapless Lions. I was afraid GRRM would be so pissed he'd kill another Stark.

Archived