NFL vol. 5

Rockroi

Didn't Football Outsiders run an analysis kind of like this a couple years back? I think their conclusion was that successful playoff teams tended to have better pass defense.

ETA: This is the closest I could find http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3177144

Here's what they say about that:

A great defense against the run is nothing without a good pass defense.

This is a corollary to the absurdity of "establish the run." If you don't believe us, meet our good friends the 2006-2007 Minnesota Vikings. With rare exceptions, teams win or lose with the passing game more than the running game -- and by stopping the passing game more than the running game. The reason why teams need a strong run defense in the playoffs is not to shut the run down early, it's to keep the other team from icing the clock if they get a lead. You can't mount a comeback if you can't stop the run.

Note that "good pass defense" may mean "good pass rush" rather than "good defensive backs."

But as to the common wisdom: "Defense wins championships" I believe them saying there's nothing to back it up. But I can't find anything on it right now so may have imagined it.

One thing they do say is, as Kal posted earlier, offensive performance is far more consistent from year to year than defense.

I will readily concede that the needing a good defense dictum was more true in the 20th Century than the 21st.

If teams today played under 1980 officiating standards (and neither they nor the officials adjusted), you'd have 40 PI calls a game, split between offensive and defensive. In the modern 'wrassle and pluck' system of pass offense/defense, you can get by without the same level of talent on the defensive side of the ball. As long as you can establish the cred to get away with the routine 'multiple chucks 15 yards down the field', you can play pass defense.

The Chargers really need to fire their special teams coach. They start off another game with a big mistake and follow it up with another blocked punt. I'm also sick of hearing about how they have the #1 ranked Offense and Defense (yet are 3 - 5). We all know that defensive statistic is practically meaningless, and the explanation has become quite obvious. When you lead the league in fumbles, rank among the worst in turnovers AND give up points and huge field position on extra teams, then of course the opposing teams have a shorter field to work with.

Not sure what is up with that, since the game isn't on here. Some crazy bounces in the SG/HOU game, especially the interception to seal it. But yeah the AFC East didn't have a good day. NE, Miami and the Jets all got creamed and it is up to Buffalo alone to get a win for the division.

Its been by far the strangest NFL season since I started following the league.

It's 2007 college football all over again.

Nice comeback win by the Jets. Sanchez seems to do well under pressure. Seems his game gets a bit more relaxed when he doesn't have time to think as much.

Edit: Weird Colts uniforms. Are they trying to look like the Giants?

Edit: Weird Colts uniforms. Are they trying to look like the Giants?

I wondered if they were some sort of throwback uniform, but why would the visiting team wear the throwback uniform when the home team isn't as well...?

Phillip Rivers gets a lot of criticism for his demeanor, much of it deserved. But you gotta give him credit for today. By the end of the game, he was short the top RB on the depth chart, the top TE in the game and the top FOUR WR on the payroll. Still got it done offensively.

Archived