Boardwalk Empire - Thread #2 (apparently this evolved into a SPOILER thread behind my back)

Bronn Stone

I took great childish amusement in the expression on Mr. Slater's face when he thought that Nucky had found them out. :lol:

And I am starting to wonder if Jimmy isn't going to get himself killed.

I was amused by the swedish nanny.

I was a bit confused about the accent at first, sounded German to me, but she was singing in Norwegian (not Swedish).

Internet consensus elsewhere that Margaret's daughter has polio.

Surely there's too little evidence so far to rule out either polio or TB?

I took great childish amusement in the expression on Mr. Slater's face when he thought that Nucky had found them out. :lol:

And I am starting to wonder if Jimmy isn't going to get himself killed.

Basically I'd be worried about any character that isn't a portrayal of a real life person, like Nucky, Eli*, the Commodore all really existed, Jimmy was only "inspired" by a real life person or persons that worked with Nucky.

So yeah, Jimmy's pretty much doomed.

ETA:

* Just found out that there technically wasn't and Eli, the real Nucky's brother was named Alf though his character sticks very closely but not exactly to his Boardwalk Empire counterpart.

Also just found out that Nucky and Eli's (Alf's) real last name wasn't Thompson but Johnson. Seems most of the characters based on real life people (putting aside the extremely well known or infamous ones Rothstein, Capone, Luciano, Dempsey, Cantor, etc.) have had their names (usually just their last name) slightly to moderately altered for the series.

Real life Nucky did have an assistant named James Boyd but aside from doing some dirty work for Nucky here and there is very different from Jimmy Darmody, so I still think Jimmy has a target on him.

Basically I'd be worried about any character that isn't a portrayal of a real life person, like Nucky, Eli, the Commodore all really existed, Jimmy was only "inspired" by a real life person or persons that worked with Nucky.

So yeah, Jimmy's pretty much doomed.

The other thing I was wondering (since Jimmy is such a major character) is if that friendly butcher is going to go after Angela instead... or the little boy.

The other thing I was wondering (since Jimmy is such a major character) is if that friendly butcher is going to go after Angela instead... or the little boy.

Something tells me that Manny isn't the type to do that, but that was one hell of a death glare that he and Jimmy were sharing at the end of the episode. And watching the episode again, you can see all the motivations for Jimmy tossing Doyle coming together. Jimmy's tired of bowing down to power brokers, especially ones that presume to lecture him like Manny did earlier in the episode. On top of that Jimmy is sick of hearing about the money Manny is owed, he despises Doyle, (like everyone else in the world) and just before Jimmy throws Doyle off the balcony he says "yeah, cause you're his friend" regarding Doyle bringing Manny to the party.

So, Jimmy, perhaps as a result of natural impulsiveness and perhaps aided by a drink or two and some other things (like Eli) souring his mood, decided to make a statement to Manny the power broker, that Jimmy is just as dangerous as he is and doesn't have to bow down to him anymore. And when you consider Jimmy's lifetime of feeling like he's on the outside looking in and resentment of the Old Boy's club, I think any would-be power broker from the Old Boy's club should be very, very careful about pissing Jimmy off or challenging his authority.

How many episodes do you think it'll be before Jimmy turns into a full-blown Caligula? A part of me thinks it might begin going badly as soon as next episode, since I'm not sure how well Jimmy is going to navigate the touchy matter of dealing with Remus...

To be honest, I find the assertion that "you can't be half a gangster" irritating, because that's exactly what political bosses (including the historical Nucky Johnson) were. And IIRC, real Nucky didn't even need to order hits or whatever, because his political power was completely sufficient to achieve his ends and to protect him from gangsters that he dealt with.

I am going to read the book in the near future, since I find the phenomenons of political bossissm, Prohibition, etc. that the show touches truly fascinating, but IMHO it is a pity that they dumbed Nucky's complex position and intricate balance he was able to maintain down so much.

Re: Jimmy, I just don't see them killing a major character like that. Few series (cough-cough) would dare.

OTOH, I do fully expect him to crash and burn as a boss of Atlantic City and hope that he'll go back to working for Capone in time for the election contraversy, gang war with O'Banion and Capone's rise to the pinnacle of power. Those are interesting events that deserve a depiction and there is great chemistry between Jimmy's and Capone's characters.

Enjoyed last night's episode a lot. Liked the stuff with Chalky and Dunn Purnsley setting up the strike, and got a kick out of the transition from the prosecutor wondering what Nucky is doing in Ireland to him blowing away a cock with the Tommy gun. Also enjoyed the botched assassination attempt on the butcher. Have to wonder why Jimmy is being such a prick; I guess power turns you into an asshole.

Favorite part of the episode was the assassination of McGarrigle. Even though it benefitted Nucky greatly, he was shaken up the event that he essentially caused. Overall, a strong episode and probably my favorite this season. No Van Alden, and I tend to think that might be why I enjoyed it more. He's not a bad character or anything, but his time on the show just somehow seems to detract from everything else going on.

It was also great to see a new trailer for "Luck"which comes in January. As a huge fan of Deadwood, I will most certainly watch a David Milch show starring Dustin Hoffman, Nick Nolte, and Michael Gambon from the looks of it. I never saw John from Cincinatti (I think it's the only HBO show that isn't on HBOGO), but from what I've heard, I should keep it that way.

Why in the hell would you think that a guy who hung half dead people in his shop as an example would be some kind candyass/pushover?

Well, Manny did goof by not sensing the set-up, didn't he? If the hitman hadn't missed, our favorite butcher be history. And for all we know he still might be soon because as far as I know he is an invented character, while his opponent Waxy Gordon is a historical one.

I also disagree that Nucky "caused" McGarrigle's murder. It probably would have happened anyway. Now I only hope that treaty with England doesn't get signed before Nucky gets his whiskey...

Emily's polio + Margaret's Catholic guilt + Nucky's kid issues - does this mean that we are going to lose her from the show? I like both the character and actress, but changes of the cast do provide a sense of authencity/believability and unlike Jimmy she is not one of movers and shakers, alas.

Internet consensus elsewhere that Margaret's daughter has polio.

Good call, never doubt internet consensus on a medical diagnosis.

Well, Manny did goof by not sensing the set-up, didn't he? If the hitman hadn't missed, our favorite butcher be history. And for all we know he still might be soon because as far as I know he is an invented character, while his opponent Waxy Gordon is a historical one.

I also disagree that Nucky "caused" McGarrigle's murder. It probably would have happened anyway. Now I only hope that treaty with England doesn't get signed before Nucky gets his whiskey...

Emily's polio + Margaret's Catholic guilt + Nucky's kid issues - does this mean that we are going to lose her from the show? I like both the character and actress, but changes of the cast do provide a sense of authencity/believability and unlike Jimmy she is not one of movers and shakers, alas.

If Emily survives I think Margaret will feel she needs Nucky for her medical expenses so she'll stik around. But the affair between her and Owen will come to a head. I think we haven't seen the last of Lucy (though I agree with those who think her character is annoying) or her baby, I think they will make their way back into Nucky's life one way or another.

Soon as Manny entered the house I knew Angela was dead, when I heard the shower running I knew it wasn't Jimmy in there but the girl Angela met on the beach and she was a goner too.

Little Theo is too interested in fire, he's going to end up burning something down to the ground, probably Nucky's house.

Loving this show very much, it's better than ever now. Just please don't let Jimmy sample the heroin and become an addict, that kind of storyline is so tired.

To be honest, I find the assertion that "you can't be half a gangster" irritating, because that's exactly what political bosses (including the historical Nucky Johnson) were.

I've been thinking about this a bit and come to the conclusion that the show isn't endorsing either a pro or a con on Jimmy's words, that it's just showing both sides. On the one hand Nucky had a lot of trouble dealing with full-on gangsters, even low ranking ones like the D'Alessio brothers, who were willing to use pure violence to harry him and with minor changes to circumstances, could have easily been responsible for the deaths of both Nucky and Eli.

On the other hand you have Jimmy, who has absolutely no skill at all for the political side of things. He can't glad hand, he can't charm, he can't play relationships and loyalties, etc. The only thing he can do is use violence to keep people in line until he goofs too badly, like he did in that half-assed assassination attempt on Manny.

Jimmy's point of view, that someone willing to use violence can take power from someone who isn't, is perfectly true. But if he can't play the other side of the game, he's not going to be able to keep it either.

Last night's episode was a gut wrencher. I really didn't think Manny would get Jimmy's family involved once he saw that Jimmy wasn't around. I figured he'd wait for another chance. Well, should be interesting to see how the confrontation between the two ends up. Or, since it's likely to be Richard Harrow that finds Angela, do we think Richard will go ahead and kill Manny himself, without any say so from Jimmy?

I seriously giggled out loud when I saw it was Manny himself banging the door like the worst hitman ever, not giving a single damn.

Speaking of Richard, I crossed a thought he could have a meltdown and blame Jimmy for Angelas death?

stranger things have happened. And lets face it, it pretty much is Jimmy's fault. All he had to do was uphold his part of the bargain, regardless of how much he didn't like Manny. Instead he tried to get cute with his newfound power...

Wow that was sad, I didn't see it coming for Angela. She was a great character that carried around a lot of sadness...I hate to see her gone. The season has been great so far, I think the writing and dialogue have improved immensely since Season 1. Nucky is full of 1-liners this season and there have been plenty of "Holy Shit!" moments, without taking it over the top.

Well, Angela will be missed in my household. :crying: I'm not terribly surprised; it was my running theory. But I liked her and I'm sad to see her go. Was I the only one who thought Manny was deciding what to do when she was begging him for her life -- that he didn't come there to kill her and only did it because Jimmy wasn't there?

Eli is as dumb as a brick. And Nucky is in big trouble now...

Archived