Boardwalk Empire - Thread #2 (apparently this evolved into a SPOILER thread behind my back)

Bronn Stone

Jimmy just signed his death warrant, maybe so did Margaret. He should have had Harrow kill him but I guess Harrow wouldn't do it or Jimmy didn't want him to be the one, he thought it better it was someone he didn't know.

Next week looks like the episode I've really been looking forward to, Chalky getting his vengeance.

I didn't understand exactly what was going in during the bathroom murder scene. :dunce:

I'm pretty sure the guy Slater was talking to was someone who collaborated with the Black and Tans during the war in Ireland, since he called him a traitor after he killed him. Some IRA business he was doing on the side.

SOV is probably right: the guy Slater killed was probably either someone who worked with the British against the IRA, or maybe someone from a different faction judged to not be loyal enough. (Apparently in an interview Charlie Cox, who plays Slater, has said that Slater's boss is a thinly veiled stand in for Eamon de Valera, so it could be something to do with the Irish Civil War, although I don't think the timeline has advanced far enough for that yet).

Gillian is disturbing.

QFT

You'd think that after reading ASOIAF all these years and watching GOT it wouldn't be that big a deal*, but the Jimmy Gillian relationship really weirds me out.

*Though I have to admit seeing Cercei and Jaime and Dany and Vicerys er, um... relate is a bit more uncomfortable than just reading about it.

Didn't mention it before, but it's been almost a week since the last episode and I still can't believe that Jimmy apparently was content to walk out of the room without confirming Nucky's death or have someone whose job was to stay in the room and confirm it. (And maybe act as a backup if the hit wasn't successful).

Seriously, Jimmy, what the fucking fuck?! I mean, I know he's reluctant to kill Nucky and probably half-assing it, but... seriously?! Is he just engaging in self-sabotage now?

Yeah, Gillian is getting pretty creepy. I don't even have words to explain this stuff away anymore. :ack:

Thanks for the explanation of the murder scene. I kept looking away and was probably missing things (not a huge fan of gore). And on that note, I can live the rest of my life without seeing someone hung upside down in a butcher's shop again and never miss the experience. That was gross!

Didn't mention it before, but it's been almost a week since the last episode and I still can't believe that Jimmy apparently was content to walk out of the room without confirming Nucky's death or have someone whose job was to stay in the room and confirm it. (And maybe act as a backup if the hit wasn't successful).

Seriously, Jimmy, what the fucking fuck?! I mean, I know he's reluctant to kill Nucky and probably half-assing it, but... seriously?! Is he just engaging in self-sabotage now?

Maybe he did have someone, but once that fed popped up, they all probably buggered the fuck out of there. And the "he's alive" shouted as Jimmy was walking out was probably all the confirmation the poor bastard needed.

Yeah, Gillian is getting pretty creepy. I don't even have words to explain this stuff away anymore. :ack:

Thanks for the explanation of the murder scene. I kept looking away and was probably missing things (not a huge fan of gore). And on that note, I can live the rest of my life without seeing someone hung upside down in a butcher's shop again and never miss the experience. That was gross!

My only thoughts were "Ewww! he's getting his blood all over the meat! People are going to eat that!"

My only thoughts were "Ewww! he's getting his blood all over the meat! People are going to eat that!"

Hah, I was thinking the same thing, but then they actually held off on the blood for that scene. I imagined that there was going to be a spray and a lot more o fit.

Wonder what Nucky's game is. I can't see how selling machine guns to the IRA helps him..anyone catch something I missed?

Cash and muscle, methinks. Nucky has been "half a gangster" as Jimmy said. While the political power is huge, he's way too much in the limelight and dependent on his brother for muscle. He appears to be taking Rothstein's advice to bide his time until he can strike. Eli is right, Nucky is smarter and more dangerous than Jimmy is. Jimmy is already becoming heavy-handed.

The bigger question is how he gets out of the federal charges. He'll need to find out who the informants are ( Eli and/or Van Alden) and become a full on gangster by whacking them.

Well, I think Manny has finally realized he's backed the wrong horse. I'm betting Jimmy is going to implode spectacularly once he gets a taste of real power, with Nucky fucking him from the sidelines. Nucky seems to be doing everything in his power to leave Atlantic City a mess in his absence, so Jimmy will cop all the blame, and Nucky can make a triumphant return as a saviour and hero, cleaning up Jimmy's inevitable cluster fuck.

Well, I think Manny has finally realized he's backed the wrong horse. I'm betting Jimmy is going to implode spectacularly once he gets a taste of real power, with Nucky fucking him from the sidelines. Nucky seems to be doing everything in his power to leave Atlantic City a mess in his absence, so Jimmy will cop all the blame, and Nucky can make a triumphant return as a saviour and hero, cleaning up Jimmy's inevitable cluster fuck.

Basically. Nucky gave them a poisoned gift, since if Chalky follows through on the strike the city will be crippled by it and lose tons of money, Jimmy is cracking under the various pressures in his life, (he's not going to be very good at pretending the way that Nucky can always act glad to see someone and able to help them with all their problems) and in the meantime Nucky will have a supply of dangerous weapons, dangerous people who'll be indebted to him, and all the cash and resources that he doesn't have in liquid form at the present.

The only thing is I'm not sure if Nucky is going to swoop in to retake his old position or if he's going to go even more behind the scenes and man behind the man than he is now, and become something like what the Commodore was in season 1.

By the way, does Margaret's daughter have Spanish Flu? I thought it would have peaked and died down by this point in history, but whatever she has it doesn't look good, and if it supposed to be Spanish Flu, well... poor Nucky will probably be preparing for another child's funeral just after he's gotten them to call him dad.

Basically. Nucky gave them a poisoned gift, since if Chalky follows through on the strike the city will be crippled by it and lose tons of money, Jimmy is cracking under the various pressures in his life, (he's not going to be very good at pretending the way that Nucky can always act glad to see someone and able to help them with all their problems) and in the meantime Nucky will have a supply of dangerous weapons, dangerous people who'll be indebted to him, and all the cash and resources that he doesn't have in liquid form at the present.

The only thing is I'm not sure if Nucky is going to swoop in to retake his old position or if he's going to go even more behind the scenes and man behind the man than he is now, and become something like what the Commodore was in season 1.

By the way, does Margaret's daughter have Spanish Flu? I thought it would have peaked and died down by this point in history, but whatever she has it doesn't look good, and if it supposed to be Spanish Flu, well... poor Nucky will probably be preparing for another child's funeral just after he's gotten them to call him dad.

My thought was that the girl has tuberculosis (commonly called consumption in Nucky's era) because of the low grade fever that comes and goes. Also the big outbreak of Spanish flu was a few years earlier, though it was still going around at the time of the show.

Rothstein is the man.

He thinks and moves like a master chess player in regards to his business and associations but he keeps coming off as an arrogant little shit to me, he's got charm but when it comes to the caliber of his character he's nothing compared to Nucky and Chalky, even the Commodore before his stroke.

And although Jimmy is over his head, I got sincere joy out of seeing him through Mr. Giggles Doyle over the balcony.

Archived