Aussie LII

brook

I have a soft spot for Lleyton, I don't really know why because he's as obnoxious as everyone says but I still can't help but like him.

I don't think I'll watch tonight though, Phil's in Melbourne until tomorrow night so I have a little over 24 hours when theres actually something other than sport on tv, I think I'll enjoy it.

is any of you nsw-ers going to the big day out on the thurs? we have two friends who have purchased tickets - now the organizers are letting anyone with tickets for that day bring a person in for free - so james and i are now going :thumbsup: if anyone is, and keen for a hellosies, buzz on!

I'm Baaaccckkk.

Was checking out HBO AGOT news and was pleased to find there would be Emilia Clarke and Jason Momoa sex scenes and though I should drop in here.

I kind of like Hewitt, the same way i kind of like Anthony Mundine. They might be arseholes, but they are Australia's arseholes.

Just because I'm lazy, so exactly which states are in turmoil, with what and how bad is each place? And I don't want to know about the Australian Cricket team (zing!).

Sorry Ski I was almost singing the German national anthem when Sven Ottke put Anthony 'Ahkmed X' Mundine to sleep.

Brook, you might be able to catch that episode where he appeared on Home and Away on youtube. :)

is any of you nsw-ers going to the big day out on the thurs? we have two friends who have purchased tickets - now the organizers are letting anyone with tickets for that day bring a person in for free - so james and i are now going :thumbsup: if anyone is, and keen for a hellosies, buzz on!

grrr I want to and could bludge on friends tickets but its the smallest kids birthday so I can't, although I did consider lying to him and telling him his birthday was wednesday...

As for Lleyton on H&A I said I have a soft spot for him, not that I actually want to see him do anything except play tennis (and after getting 4 hours sleep the other night because I stayed up and watched him fail to finish off a game he had won I don't think I wanna do that anymore either :P)

Damn, hard to believe that Queensland, Victoria and even WA have been hit hard by floods in the middle of what I have always known as the bushfire season. Hope everyone is safe and still able to enjoy the Australia Day celebrations next week. Does anyone have anything planned?

Meanwhile I'm nearly two months into my trip and still having a great time :thumbsup:. Highlights of Europe so far have included a Lord's tour, watching an EPL game (Hammers v Everton - the fans were psycho), hiking in the Bavarian Alps and checking out Munich's famous beer halls. I've also met quite a few BwBers along the way which has been a good laugh (the London BwBers are a great bunch). I'm currently staying with friends on the Luxembourg-Germany border and trying to help their kids out with English. Still have another 10 days or so in Germany before heading to the Netherlands, back to the UK and finally to Italy.

On an unrelated note, I received some good news a few weeks ago - I managed a couple of distinctions (Procedure and International Law) and one credit (Humanitarian Law) in my last semester of uni. So uni is officially over and my graduation paperwork has come through. Now on to that whole "work" thing...

BTW, has anyone seen or heard from GS? He seems a bit quiet on the board lately and isn't responding to my txts :dunno:. Also, maybe we need to start thinking about a BwB meet (probably in NSW again?) for the first half of 2011?

@stormborne: Hope you enjoy the BDO. I'm currently toying with the idea of buying a ticket to the West Coast Blues 'n' Roots Festival this April (Bob Dylan is the headline act). Only thing holding me back is the price - $150 a ticket is fairly steep for a Festival that will mostly be comprised of local acts and a few internationals that I'm unfamiliar with.

On an unrelated note, I received some good news a few weeks ago - I managed a couple of distinctions (Procedure and International Law) and one credit (Humanitarian Law) in my last semester of uni. So uni is officially over and my graduation paperwork has come through. Now on to that whole "work" thing...

Awesome, Pax. Been waiting for this bit of news. I know you've only been wearing it for a little while, but how does that LLB feel?

Congrats on the LLB, Pax! Here's to hoping the good old Lemon, Lime and Bitters degree helps you go far. :)

Apologies to any Melbournites for not giving them the heads up but I did take a short trip down to Melbourne the past couple of days. I was busy watching the Australian Open so didn't really have any spare time, flew down on the Thursday morning, went straight to the tennis all day and night, got back to the hotel, slept, woke up, went to the tennis again, flew out at 7pm. ;) Next time I might spend a bit more time down there, I think I might make this Australian Open trip an annual thing. Cost me a few hundred bucks but it was worth it to see guys like Federer playing live.

And I will admit that Melbourne does appear to be a more pleasant city for walking around etc than good old Sydney, but I may have to take a longer stay to make a proper verdict. ;)

Congratulations Prearts, now you can enter the real world of work. I'd recommend an extra extended stay in Europe to stay away from it. That's my plan anyways. I'm wishing I could of scored some time off work to go see the Blues n Roots festival, not only does it have Bob Dylan but Mr Elvis Costello, the Black Keys and many other good acts. Such a pity.

Pax - glad you're having a great time in Europe. So jealous about the London meet-ups! We definitely have to organise some more aussie meets. Some time just after 17 April sounds about right ;)

Hi folks yeah I am still alive but had a nasty virus on the comp untill today.

Congrats Pax but seriusly only 2 distinctions and a credit?

you can do better than that :P

Well done mate now enjoy the rest of the trip.

Hope everyone is well and will catch up soon.

Welcome to the brotherhood.

Unfortunately, you may also need to do the "further study" thing as well. You have an equivalent of the College of Law in WA??

Jeor,

Apologies to any Melbournites for not giving them the heads up but I did take a short trip down to Melbourne the past couple of days. I was busy watching the Australian Open so didn't really have any spare time, flew down on the Thursday morning, went straight to the tennis all day and night, got back to the hotel, slept, woke up, went to the tennis again, flew out at 7pm. ;) Next time I might spend a bit more time down there, I think I might make this Australian Open trip an annual thing. Cost me a few hundred bucks but it was worth it to see guys like Federer playing live.

You a tennis fan as well? I went down 2009 and 2010 to Melbourne but for the Opening Day - flew in Sunday Night, flew out Tuesday night or Wednesday day. It's always a nice trip at the beginning of the year. Waiting three hours to snaffle Roger Federer's autograph....brings back good memories. Couldn't go this year. Grrr...

Hi folks yeah I am still alive but had a nasty virus on the comp untill today.

Congrats Pax but seriusly only 2 distinctions and a credit?

you can do better than that :P

Well done mate now enjoy the rest of the trip.

Hope everyone is well and will catch up soon.

Good to hear you are ok Griff, we were all a bit worried. How was your chrissy and new year? Back at work yet?

You a tennis fan as well? I went down 2009 and 2010 to Melbourne but for the Opening Day - flew in Sunday Night, flew out Tuesday night or Wednesday day. It's always a nice trip at the beginning of the year. Waiting three hours to snaffle Roger Federer's autograph....brings back good memories. Couldn't go this year. Grrr...

I am indeed a tennis fan...I've always liked tennis since I was young. Figured it was the sport for nerds. ;) I was in the First team for school although never really went on with it, but nowadays as well as my teaching duties I'm responsible for managing some of the school tennis teams so I still get on the court to do some basic coaching. Still a keen watcher though!

I love tennis so much. I remember crying when Pete cried back in '95, and staying up late and combining Wimbledon and World Cup soccer AND Ashes viewing into one giant marathon.

Does anybody remember that Nike ad where Agassi and Sampras play one point and it goes for ages and they end up with beards but the ball kid falls asleep and a ball rolls out of his hand, and they have to replay the point? Hilarity.

I was at the tennis yesterday - saw those American twins, Novak Djokavic and THE match - Schiavone vs Kuznestova. Amazing. I was going for Svetty though. And I am so tired now. 9 hours in the sun will do that to you. My favourites for the tournament (sentimental, not necessarily on form): Kimmy Clijsters and Novak.

Pax, congrats on your LLB. Now you can come over and develop a crack addict with me. :P On a more (only by a smidgen) serious note, you should totally work for these people:

http://www.marquelawyers.com.au/work-with-us/hiring/

Hello to everybody else. I would be interested in a BwB catch up in Sydney but in between my USA trip in April and quite a few engagements/ weddings before then, my availability is not good.

x

I have absolutely no plans, that almost never happens so I'm looking forward to it.

Although I just realised that given it is the day before Darius' birthday I may have to go out somewhere to prevent a surprise visit from my MIL. She usually turns up unannounced after bedtime on their birthdays so I've already made plans to go out to dinner on thursday but the public holiday may be too tempting.

We intend to sleep in.

Then we intend to sloth about the house doing fuck all. Maybe I'll watch some cricket, or read a book, or participate in our continuing watch of BSG. I should really be working on my research paper, but a mid-week day off is just too awesome to spoil with productive activity.

I haven't done a single productive thing in almost two weeks thanks to the floods. My work was completely inundated so we're currently in a temporary office in the city waiting for our backup data to arrive. I've effecively been going into work at 9am and leaving after lunch. I'm getting used to it too, which is probably bad. But only work was really affected so I'm quite lucky overall.

As for Australia day, I too am doing nothing, I can't even be bothered going to the hottest 100 bbq I was invited too. I'm going to spend the day reading. And napping.

Archived