What are you listening two?

Ski the Swift

The former. I haven't listened to any of his music.

Then maybe you should have started with another album, because Age of Adz is not his most accessible in my opinion. If you're willing to give him a second chance, try listening to Illinois.:)

Then maybe you should have started with another album, because Age of Adz is not his most accessible in my opinion. If you're willing to give him a second chance, try listening to Illinois.:)

The Age of Adz was the only album the stores in my area had, plus inaccessible music is not really a problem for me. I think, maybe, that his style of inaccessible is just not for me.

The Age of Adz was the only album the stores in my area had, plus inaccessible music is not really a problem for me. I think, maybe, that his style of inaccessible is just not for me.

But the thing is, Sufjan Stevens is far from inaccessible. The Age of Adz is different from his older stuff (maybe closer to his older older stuff though). But the music he was doing on Illinois or Michigan is in my opinion very accessible and instantly lovable.

I second giving Sufjan Steven's Michigan and Illinois albums a listen to before you make too firm a judgment. Think along the lines of the song 'Vesuvius' minus all the bleeps and bloops.

A few of my favourites:

(Michigan)

Chicago (Illinois)

(Seven Swans)

(Michigan)

I've been listening to the minimalist experimental lute --yes, LUTE!-- playing of Jozef van Wissem a lot lately. Some free (legal) tracks can be found here.

I've been listening to this daily on the drive into work, and I love it. White Blank Page is probably my favourite.

I'd have to say I went through a White Blank Page stage in my life, then an I Gave You All Stage. They are a quality band though, has anyone heard anything about their next project?

Once I finish ripping all this music back onto my new computer I'm going to get some of The Strokes and look into an Australian band called The Kill Devil Hills, they did a song in Triple J's like a version and it sounded grand. More news on them after a listen.

caught my ear recently. Not usually a big fan of the disaffected tone of voice that seems to be common over the last few years, but these guys really do it for me. I've also been listening to
by Rasputina again as of late. Epic.

Currently listening to LCD Soundsystem This is Happening. The more I consider it, the more I think that it's my album of the year for last year. While none of the tracks on the album particularly stand out for me, the album as a whole was consistently solid. Even The Suburbs --my other favourite album of last year-- has a few tracks that I find myself skipping over on occasion, This is Happening does not.

New one from the Decemberists drops tomorrow. Yay!

I second giving Sufjan Steven's Michigan and Illinois albums a listen to before you make too firm a judgment. Think along the lines of the song 'Vesuvius' minus all the bleeps and bloops.

A few of my favourites:

(Michigan)

Chicago (Illinois)

(Seven Swans)

(Michigan)

I've been listening to the minimalist experimental lute --yes, LUTE!-- playing of Jozef van Wissem a lot lately. Some free (legal) tracks can be found here.

Listened to those. Not bad. The second and third songs were probably my favorites and the other two were okay. Definitely better than The Age of Adz.

I think I need to give LCD Soundsystem more of a shot. I've liked what I've heard, and I know they're big critical successes. I think one of the songs I really liked from a previous album was "My Friends" or something with "friends" in the title.

"All My Friends" is the song in question. It's my favorite LCD Soundsystem song.

Mr. X - I just gave a full listen to "Stay Positive" on a minor road trip today. I like it a lot on the first listen which is usually a really good sign for me. I think there's a chance I'll like it more than Boys and Girls in America, which is exciting for me. I'd heard "Sequestered in Memphis" before, but that may have been the only track that wasn't new. The guitar solo on track five was stunning.

Cool. Like I said, it took me some time to get into Stay Positive, but now it's the Hold Steady album I'm most likely to listen to when I feel like listening to the Hold Steady.

I think I need to give LCD Soundsystem more of a shot. I've liked what I've heard, and I know they're big critical successes. I think one of the songs I really liked from a previous album was "My Friends" or something with "friends" in the title.

As Mr. X said, it's 'All My Friends' and it's off Sound of Silver. Oddly enough, I'd say I like Sound of Silver better than This is Happening even though I would not rank that near the top of my favourite albums of 2007. That sort of hints to my opinion of the albums I listened to last year as a whole; It was much more of a 'single' year.

I've heard it said elsewhere that This is Happening is essentially LCD's best attempt at a 'Berlin' era Bowie album, and I'm inclined to agree. While it's good in its own right, there's definitely something Bowiesque about many of the songs on the album.

And yes Ski, 'Drunk Girls' is by LCD and it's off the new one.

I'm a native of Portland from whence this band hails. and while I like some of their stuff, I'm not a huge fan. Mr. Melloy's delivery isn't one that I love, and I guess I just don't feel myself feeling much emotion when I hear their music. I enjoy the occasional song. "Valencia" is one that comes to mind (or is it "Valencia, I'm Yours." ?).

But do please report back on your thoughts on the new one should you get it which it sounds like you will.

You're thinking of two different songs. There's 'Valencia' and 'Los Angeles, I'm Yours'.

When I first heard the Decemberists I actually found Colin Meloy's vocals quite offputting as well. I listened to Her Majesty... a couple times, didn't like it and completely wrote off the band for a good 3 or 4 years. Shame too as Picaresque came out the following year and when I finally did listen to the album it completely changed my opinion of the band for the better.

Even though Meloy's delivery has grown on me -- I actually quite enjoy it now-- what I like most about the band is the well in which they draw their inspiration: British folk music, Woodie Guthriesque protest songs, sea shanties... I've got a real soft spot for music like that :P

Listened to those. Not bad. The second and third songs were probably my favorites and the other two were okay. Definitely better than The Age of Adz.

Check out all of Illinois then. It's hands down his best album.

I was going to link to another favourite song of mine off the album called 'They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back from the Dead!! Ahhhh!' but as the title sort of implies, it's a bit all over the place. I didn't want to scare you off.

Ah, what the hell,

Archived