What are you listening two?

Ski the Swift

OK, you do also know Electric Feel by the same band as well I hope? Also an amazing song.

Actually I hadn't until you linked it. Other than 'Time to Pretend' the only other exposure to the band I've had is through my cousin and nothing he played me really peaked my interest.

'Electric Feel' is pretty good, still like 'Kids' more though. I'll have to give the full album a listen to now... I'm pretty sure my local library has a copy.

Plus you're a chef and I like food. Seems perfect!

it is decided then. we are friends. now that we are friends can i borrow some money?

OK, you do also know Electric Feel by the same band as well I hope? Also an amazing song.

Chef - I listened to Them Crooked Vultures just a bit more while I was messing around on my iTunes yesterday. Just tracks 3 and 4 (I only did 1 and 2 on my first listen), and I was more impressed. How's this. As soon as I've thoroughly saturated my brain with the new Radiohead I will commit to giving TCV's album at least two listens in its entirety.

it is hard to not listen the shit out of a radiohead album. but, i have to tell you, the vulture album is just topnotch.

Everyone should love Them Crooked Vultures solely because I saw them at their first ever (secret) show.

that is awesome! i cannot tell you how jealous i am of you. how amazing was the show?

Did JPJ look like he was about the same age as Josh Homme and Dave Grohl?

He didn't look bad, he seemed pretty limber and really looked like he was enjoying himself. Homme also seemed happier than I'd ever seen him before.

that is awesome! i cannot tell you how jealous i am of you. how amazing was the show?

It was pretty amazing. I think tickets were like $40 and they were going for about $1200 on ebay so I was really lucky to snatch one in the ten seconds they were on sale. It really felt like something special' date=' especially when John brought out the keytar.[/size']

Has anyone heard Jose Gonzalez? I think he's actually Swedish, or at least hails from Sweden despite his name not suggesting as much. Anyhow, he's a singer-songwriter type that got some hype a bit back. I snagged his album at the library, but I'm yet to listen.

I think somebody mentioned him and his other band Junip upthread. Very mellow, folksy, spare guitars that touch on the classical, sounds like an aloof troubadour. What album have you got? I like his cover of The Knife's Heartbeats and Massive Attack's Teardrop. (And hey, he also did Kylie Minogue's Hand On Your Heart! I like Kylie. :P)

Re: In Our Nature

Ah, the second LP. Brighter sounding than Veneer, the first one. One track even has handclaps. This kind of minimal folk doesn't always grab me, but I like JG enough. I think it was mainly because of his covers. He can really make other people's music sound like his own. (See Heartbeats.)

(Wth, it's 3 am here and I got out of the bed because of my coughing and I couldn't sleep. Now, after re-listening to some JG for these posts, I'm drowsy. He's that mellow.)

Has anyone heard Jose Gonzalez? I think he's actually Swedish, or at least hails from Sweden despite his name not suggesting as much. Anyhow, he's a singer-songwriter type that got some hype a bit back. I snagged his album at the library, but I'm yet to listen.

I've heard a few of his songs but not that much, mostly some of his cover versions. They were pleasant but a bit bland, I agree with Eyelesbarrow that he does make his cover of Heartbeats sound like his own song, but I still prefer the original.

Today, I've been listening to The Decemberists' The King is Dead, Belle and Sebastian's Dear Catastrophe Waitress and R.E.M.'s Reveal. They were selected semi-randomly, but in retrospect they do work quite well together. After having listened to The King is Dead a few times since I bought it, I'd probably rank it as one of their better albums, I particularly like Don't Carry It All and This Is Why We Fight. It's been a while since I've listened to Reveal but I was reminded of how much I like the album, I know it often isn't regarded as one of their best albums, but I think it is a bit under-rated - it may be a step below Automatic For The People or Murmur but I'd say it compares well to most other R.E.M. albums.

Not an album, but I just got home from a great Skunk Anansie show. That's a high that's going to stay with me for a few days. Should've made a new year's resolution to catch more live shows.

it is decided then. we are friends. now that we are friends can i borrow some money?

:lol:

Along those lines, I can't get the new Strokes single out of my head.

Linky?

I've been in the mood for new music but do not have the funds to support that whim. :thumbsdown:

So instead I will have to suffice with youtube playing me off music.

Can anyone else else recommend me some music, you know, stuff that I will like?

I just picked up the Best Coast album from the library, so I should no longer make embarrassing comparisons about the band that don't hold up :P

Also listening to some Apostle of Hustle which is the solo stuff of Andrew Whiteman from Broken Social Scene.

I've been in the mood for new music but do not have the funds to support that whim. :thumbsdown:

So instead I will have to suffice with youtube playing me off music.

I don't know if you'll find anything you'll like for sure, but whenever I'm in the mood for good, free, music I check this blog. And that's just for full albums; While it's no longer updating, Epitonic used to be my go to place to discover new artists --found out about Low, Legendary Pink Dots and so many others on the site-- and the MP3's are still available to download. Also, while I may hate on them, the Playlist section of Pitchfork often has some good downloadable tunes as well.

I could recommend stuff you'd like or I could recommend you good music. ;)

I listened to the newest Pineapple Thief album (Someone Here Is Missing) on the way to work... and again on the way home. It's damn good stuff, with much more of an electronic sound in it than their previous album. I'm very impressed. It probably would've made my best of 2010 list if I'd listened to it earlier. I'm not sure if I like it better than Tightly Unwound yet, but it's very close. It's going to take a few more listens.

Archived