What are you listening two?

Ski the Swift

I'm currently listening to Final Fantasy X-2 Piano collection.

What I really like about it is over the years I've had numerous gamer friends who have seen the cd case, laughed at the idea of me owning music for FF X-2 and then asked to borrow it when I've put it on.

Thanks for this thread, which I belatedly discovered. I have bought a surprisingly high percentage of the recommendations here, though I recognise that may be a bad thing, old and out of touch fart as I am.

One thing, I don't think I've seen much discussion of The

, whom I've got into via Amazon recs from purchases you've recommended. Any views on them?

I'm hopelessly addicted to Perth band Pendulum's remix of the

Pure awesome :thumbsup:.

Also catching up on some albums I missed from last year: Vampire Weekend's Contra and Two Door Cinema Club's Tourist History. Both enjoyable listens so far but they need more time before I would recommend them to anyone here.

@Kuro and stormborne: I ended up getting Newsom's Milk Eyed Mender and listened to it quite a bit when on holiday. TBH I couldn't get into the album as a whole, but the middle three tracks (Sadie, Inflammatory Writ and This Side of the Blue) were all really good tracks that I enjoyed.

ETA: For fans of The National: check out the new music vid of

, feauturing some familiar faces from the likes of Flight of the Conchords and Mad Men.

@Kuro and stormborne: I ended up getting Newsom's Milk Eyed Mender and listened to it quite a bit when on holiday. TBH I couldn't get into the album as a whole, but the middle three tracks (Sadie, Inflammatory Writ and This Side of the Blue) were all really good tracks that I enjoyed.

At least you tried :). No love for Peach, Plum, Pear or Clam, Crab, Cockle, Cowrie?

At least you tried :). No love for Peach, Plum, Pear or Clam, Crab, Cockle, Cowrie?

Peach, Plum, Pear is pretty cool, but it ends a little strangely for my tastes. My favourite Newsom song is still probably Jackrabbits, which I first heard on an episode of Later with Jools a month or so before you guys recommended The Milk-Eyed Mender. Might have to try Have One On Me at some stage down the track...

Anyone here (apart from AK) looking forward to Manchester Orchestra's new album (due next month)? I've been hanging out for this one for quite some time - their album Mean Everything to Nothing was easily one of the best albums of 2009.

I like The Stand-Ins, though I have a habit of listening to "Singer Songwriter" and "Calling and Not Calling My Ex" repeatedly while skipping much of the rest of the album. I like the rest of the album, but none of the other songs compel me to play them like those two.

The Stage Names is a great album from start to finish. Check out the opening track, "

," the fifth track which is full of plays on well-known numerical song lyrics, "
," or the closer, "
," which mixes John Berryman biography with a remake of "Sloop John B." If you like those, check out the whole album to hear the space between those three songs filled in with songs of largely equal quality.

I also own Black Sheep Boy, but I haven't listened to it enough to recommend anything from it. Never heard either of the two albums before Black Sheep Boy.

Black Sheep Boy is my favourite, though it took me way longer to get into (why does that always seem to be the case?). I like pretty much every song on the album, but a couple of good ones are

and

As for their older albums, I'm still a huge fan, but I don't think they have the same ratio of really good songs to less good ones. If you like their folkier stuff though, their first few albums are the way to go. Westfall is probably my favourite of their older material, awesome fucking song.

I don't really know how to take this, to be honest. (I know pfork's reputation, but then I write for a living, too.) But I laughed out loud for sure.

Hah, I bash p4k all the time, but I really didn't mean it in a bad way. I do a lot of writing for music stuff here and I would be lying if I said I didn't get pretty overblown about stuff I like.

I'm rewatching some of the LCD show last night and literally crying.

Listening to Teenage Fanclub's Shadows. It's much gentler than Bandwagonesque, but still following the winning formula of jangly guitars and harmonies that bloom.

It is a very good album. There is a lot of competition from their back catalogue but I think it does feature some of their most beautiful songs - When I Still Have Thee, Dark Clouds and Shock and Awe in particular.

Archived