What are you listening two?

Ski the Swift

I've been listening to a lot of Django Reinhardt today.

Thanks for the recommendations stormborne... the only one I'm half-way familiar with is Four Tet. I assume based on those recs you're a

fan. What about
?

Now playing: Charles Mingus - Live at Antibes. Before that it was AC/DC - Highway to Hell. I am nothing if not schizophrenic. :wacko:

So yeah, that Colin Stetson album I was talking about a few posts up: Best new music I've heard in quite some time.

Not sure if anyone here has about him, he seems to be getting some attention from NPR and the like, but essentially he's a bass saxophonist who has worked with the likes of Tom Waits and Arcade Fire among others. All the music on the album -- New History Warfare, Vol 2.-- was created entirely using sax, but often in nontraditional ways. For example, in order to get some percussion, he put a microphone next to the keys he was playing (The Stars in His Head (Deep Lights Remix).

(I don't know if the album's magnificence will come through on that one track alone, it might just scare people away, but definitely check out the album if you get the chance, it's really, really good.)

Hmmm...NPR type music is usually pretty much up my alley so I'm going to have to check this out.

Well I'm going by All Songs Considered standards as I'm not really familiar with any other NPR music programs.

It may not be for everyone, but it's right in my wheelhouse. The music is sort of a mix between jazz, ambient and avant-garde. There's some vocals on the album but they're primarily spoken word; One song reminds me a lot of

by the Clash.

Listening to Pleased to Meet Me and Don't Tell a Soul by the Replacements. A lot.

Since I got the relatively recently reissued versions of these albums, I've also been listening to "Portland" incessantly.

A positive review of the new Strokes album.

Apparently the singer and the band never got together during the recording process.

I've heard a few songs on the radio and they haven't been bad at all. It's a bit disappointing to hear about the band not fully getting together for recording at all.

I've heard a few songs on the radio and they haven't been bad at all. It's a bit disappointing to hear about the band not fully getting together for recording at all.

Was that an artistic choice on their part or was there some sort of internal tension between the guys? I'm excited for the new album, I wasn't a huge fan of their last album. Room on Fire is still my favorite from them.

Was that an artistic choice on their part or was there some sort of internal tension between the guys? I'm excited for the new album, I wasn't a huge fan of their last album. Room on Fire is still my favorite from them.

I'm not really certain, Trisk was the one with all the goss. They are all doing a lot of solo work aren't they? So maybe it just had something to do with their schedules.

Archived