Egypt thread 4

mormont

Congratulations, Wyclef Jean! Your tedious meandering sub-Marley mutterings and the threat of more such has clearly been the straw that broke the camel's back. Oh and the Egyptian people too.

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

This is truly Amazing. Tunisia, South Sudan, Egypt. Three peaceful revolutions in 2 months. Has the world ever seen such a thing?

This is truly Amazing. Tunisia, South Sudan, Egypt. Three peaceful revolutions in 2 months. Has the world ever seen such a thing?

Try November - December 1989. East Germany, Bulgaria, South Africa, Czechoslovakia, Chile. Followed by a not so peaceful revolution in Romania.

ETA: With Poland and Hungary earlier in the year, and the rest of communist Europe following suit in the following years. Most of the successful revolutions were peaceful, with Romania and Yugoslavia being the exceptions.

What's been happening in Tunisia anyway recently? Egypt has been completely over-shadowing it. The only news I could find is that illegal immigration to Italy has been increasing and that Italian authorities aren't happy.

Anyway I'll admit to surprise, I didn't think Mubarak would fall. My question though is: is it only him whose gone, or is it the regime itself? Big difference.

This could also be characterized as a soft military coup with public support.

But I don't see how you transfer to a democratic system without some type of military force maintaining order during the transition.

Regardless of the eventual outcome, it's always inspiring to see a dictator toppled.

Try November - December 1989. East Germany, Bulgaria, South Africa, Czechoslovakia, Chile. Followed by a not so peaceful revolution in Romania.

ETA: With Poland and Hungary earlier in the year, and the rest of communist Europe following suit in the following years. Most of the successful revolutions were peaceful, with Romania and Yugoslavia being the exceptions.

This is an interesting comparison.

:) It's awesome. I'm very glad that the protests were successfull. I also hope that the political climate in Egypt gets better and that the elections won't become a sham.

I wished and still wish that German radio and TV would talk a bit more about the secular groups in Egypt, that did contribute a lot to this movement, and not only mention the Muslim Brotherhood as the only real party.

Woohoo!

I just really, really hope this doesn't get screwed up down the road. Democracy can be pretty ugly sometimes, so let's just hope it doesn't get too ugly. To a very large extent, that's going to depend on the Egyptian military.

I think Mubarak may have pulled a fast one on the military last night, telling everyone he was going to say one thing and then simply changing his mind either shortly before or when he actually went on camera. And after his speech, he was told by the military that wasn't going to stand.

My predictions, if anything would happen: Yemen, possibly Algeria, possibly Iran.

Do we count Jordan as already fallen, or are more thorough changes required. I haven't heard any news reports lately from Amman, so I don't know if people are satisfied with the changes or not.

I guess the Gulf States are 'safe' for the moment, with the possible exception of Oman.

al-arabiya reported that sulayman stepped down too, which is great. The old guard is now truly out.

I'm not seeing any confirmation of that in the other papers, such as Al Jazeera and The Guardian, although I hope it's true.

I'm still slightly nervous over Mubarak, though. He's out of power, but not out of the country. I can't imagine that being a stable situation, particularly if some Egyptians later decide they want to bring him in for questioning over crimes committed under his dictatorship.

EDIT: There's not much chance of this happening in Saudi Arabia anytime soon. Aside from the obvious reasons (repression), the regime has been too good at co-opting the Islamic establishment in the country, and in any case they have the money to more or less bribe their populace.

Archived