U.S. Politics 21

Ser Scot A Ellison

Dude.

C'mon.

What? AP clearly took offense to FLOW calling Pawlenty 'Marshmallow Boy'.

I agree with him because I think it creates an environment where a 'Ghostbusters' remake is possible, and thereby lessens us all as members of a civilized society.

Civility now!

http://www.salon.com/news/the_supreme_court/index.html?story=/politics/war_room/2011/03/04/citizens_united_clarence_thomas_supreme_court_robert_reich

Basically, Scalia and Thomas should have recused themselves from the Citizens case, and Thomas should recuse himself from any case involving the constitutionality of the ACA. I know Salon is pretty consistently progressive, can someone, especially the massive amount of lawyers on the board, comment on this?

Merentha,

Chief Justice John Marshall was the Secretary of State for John Adams. He wrote the opinion inMarbury v. Madison (a petion to the Court for a Writ of Mandamus regarding Marbury's appointment to the DC Court Marshall issued when he was Secretary of State) establishing the assume power of "Judical Review". Do you think he should have recused himself? Does Marshall's failure to recuse put "Judicial Review" into question?

http://www.salon.com/news/the_supreme_court/index.html?story=/politics/war_room/2011/03/04/citizens_united_clarence_thomas_supreme_court_robert_reich

Basically, Scalia and Thomas should have recused themselves from the Citizens case, and Thomas should recuse himself from any case involving the constitutionality of the ACA. I know Salon is pretty consistently progressive, can someone, especially the massive amount of lawyers on the board, comment on this?

If you want to apply the standard Salon advocates there, you'd find a whole lot more than Scalia and Thomas getting recused from a whole bunch of cases.

If you want to apply the standard Salon advocates there, you'd find a whole lot more than Scalia and Thomas getting recused from a whole bunch of cases.

Thanks. I'm really generally clueless when it comes to the finer points of legal history.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703559604576176663789314074.html

The executives at the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), which distributes the taxpayer money allocated for public broadcasting to other stations, are also generously compensated. According to CPB's 2009 tax forms, President and CEO Patricia de Stacy Harrison received $298,884 in reportable compensation and another $70,630 in other compensation from the organization and related organizations that year. That's practically a pittance compared to Kevin Klose, president emeritus of NPR, who received more than $1.2 million in compensation, according to the tax forms the nonprofit filed in 2009...

...Despite how accessible media has become to Americans over the years, funding for CPB has grown considerably. In 2001, the federal government appropriated $340 million for CPB. Last year it got $420 million. As Congress considers ways to close the $1.6 trillion deficit, cutting funding for the CPB has even been proposed by President Obama's bipartisan deficit reduction commission. Instead, Mr. Obama wants to increase CPB's funding to $451 million in his latest budget.

Meanwhile, highly successful, brand-name public programs like Sesame Street make millions on their own. "Sesame Street," for example, made more than $211 million from toy and consumer product sales from 2003-2006. Sesame Workshop President and CEO Gary Knell received $956,513 in compensation in 2008. With earnings like that, Big Bird doesn't need the taxpayers to help him compete against the Nickleodeon cable channel's Dora the Explorer...

...The best way to stop the "partisan meddling" in public broadcasting that MoveOn.org complains about is by ending the taxpayers' obligation to pay for it. The politics will be out of public broadcasting as soon as the government gets out of the business of paying for it.

Public broadcasting can pay its presidents half-million and million dollar salaries. Its children's programs are making hundreds of millions in sales. Liberal financiers are willing to write million-dollar checks to help these organizations. There's no reason taxpayers need to subsidize them anymore.

Another sad example of these 'BIG CORPORATION' executives getting fat bonuses from the taxpayers, while their businesses rely on taxpayer funding to even stay afloat.

I mean, NPR would be in bankruptcy if it weren't for the fact that they get a bailout from the taxpayers every year.

it's a disgrace.

Something should be done about it.

Unfortunately, 'BIG PUBLIC BRAODCASTING' is considered 'too big to fail' I guess.

NPR = wall street executives?

:wideeyed: :stunned:

:laugh:

Of course, to quote Roger Ailes, everyone at NPR is a "Nazi."

Talk about tempest in a teapot. That entire article is disingenuous idiocy. Jesus...

NPR = wall street executives?

:wideeyed: :stunned:

:laugh:

Of course, to quote Roger Ailes, everyone at NPR is a "Nazi."

Or a panda.

Or a nazi panda.

Talk about tempest in a teapot. That entire article is disingenuous idiocy. Jesus...

How so?

Are we not always hearing how million dollar salaries for high level executives at the taxpayer expense are an offense to all that is holy?

How is this different?

Or a panda.

Or a nazi panda.

Or a kung-fu nazi panda.

I detect an anti-pandite sentiment 'round here...

How so?

Are we not always hearing how million dollar salaries for high level executives at the taxpayer expense are an offense to all that is holy?

How is this different?

I think when bonuses are going to executives who directly contributed to causing the greatest financial crisis since the depression as opposed to people who create educational programming, the outrage is a bit different. To say nothing of pittance this would have on any deficit spending. ETA: deleted

I like NPR. I have for decades. I think NPR has a selection bias but does make a sincere effort at objectivity.

I download Fresh Air, Writer's Almanac, and News from Lake Wobegone podcasts everyday, all for free. While Garrison Keillor leans liberal, his Prairie Home Companion shows are about as middle-America as you can get.

I guess Fresh Air is the only one of those that occasionally covers political topics, but even there I think Terri Gross really makes an effort to be as objective as possible.

Archived