Is Robb still alive?

Whatever

The wights, Catelyn and Beric and the other "undead" are very much changed, and in many ways diminished, compared to their former selves.

And?

Characters who appear dead did not stay dead, which is what you are claiming is good evidence that robb is gone for good.

Now I happen to agree that Robb is gone for good, I just thought that that was a very odd way of refuting it, given all the other characters who appeared dead, but did not stay dead.

• 1 year later...

Hmmm.... in the first Theon chapter, when the Walders are coming to release him, they mention getting confused between Theon and another prisoner (presumably one who has been treated just as badly), could this be Robb? As mentioned, we never saw his head. The body could be anybody. We never have a first hand POV of the 'Wolfking'. And they only needed GW to 'prove' Robb dead.

As for motive, could this be Roose having a back up plan? He has never given himself fully to one side or the other. If Ramsey is killed at Winterfell and Roose 'saves' Robb from his sons dungeons....

And as for GRRM preferring characters to stay dead.... ask Uncat, the Mountain (Robert Strong?), Beric, Un-Brienne what it's like to be dead. They came back - albeit sometimes with a new name, but they came back!

Crackpot, but I'm starting to believe Robb might be alive!

NIce theory, however it is extremely unlikely that Robb is still alive.

However, in saying that, it seems that something doesn't quite add up, and we still may have some significant details yet to learn.

Ha, imagine if the Freys just framed is death to fool the Lannisters, because they think he is AA and they are actually going to save the world and everyone hates them for no reason.......NOT

Absolutely not. If this were true, I would lose all respect for Martin as a writer. Part of what makes his universe so compelling is that anyone can die, and when death becomes impermanent, it loses meaning. From a narrative perspective, this would be the worst move he could possibly make - reversing the most significant death in the series thus far. Swap out Jeyne and have her give birth to his kid - fine. But bringing Robb back ruins everything. I thought he was a fun character, I cried when he died, but no. Just no.

Absolutely not. If this were true, I would lose all respect for Martin as a writer. Part of what makes his universe so compelling is that anyone can die, and when death becomes impermanent, it loses meaning. From a narrative perspective, this would be the worst move he could possibly make - reversing the most significant death in the series thus far. Swap out Jeyne and have her give birth to his kid - fine. But bringing Robb back ruins everything. I thought he was a fun character, I cried when he died, but no. Just no.

:agree:

Unless, Martin just used it as a mechanism to advance the plot whilst having other plans for Robb?

I highly doubt it though.

Still wanna see the Greatjon cut loose....

I don't think there's anything that could be done with the plot that merits as big as screw-up as bring Robb back. Robb being dead has changed everything in fundamental ways for everyone both in-universe and out. Even pretending to bring him back would be a mistake.

Greatjon rampage... Mmmm... Possibly even better than Frey pie :D

Archived