Wise Man's Fear II (SPOILERS)

WrathOfTinyKittens

I have loved reading the different theories and alot of the speculation is very insightful. What would really upset me and it is a possibility that there is no big grand finally. The story ends with him finishing his story and thats it, just silence in three parts. I do have a small basis for this, I went to a signing here in Virginia Beach about 9 months ago and I asked Patrick straight out how many books was in this story and he told me three and he had the end already written. Then he signed my book Blue Blue Blue pretty cool.

Trabob that the series is three books is depressing if true. The earlier wise man's fear thread had some links (largely in response to my question, but no doubt others had asked it before on other threads) to places where PR or his editors have suggested there are further adventures of Kvothe to come. Someone should ask Patrick what the position is.

It's hard to imagine dramatic things happening in the interlude in Doors of Stone. At the best, Kvothe can turn the corner. But obviously the focus is on narrating the story.

En denotes in or into

Temerant (as above, same source)third-person plural present active indicative Violate

Voistra broken into Vo is tra

En Temerant Vo Is Tra

translates googley to

See, we call it, delivered to the violation of

which could clean up to

See, we call in violation

Which was The Old Knower position.

Nice try Thistle, but even for those things that we can work out the meaning of Rhintae etc from other contexts, they don't really tanslate to Latin or anglo-saxon or Indo-sanskrit or anything like that. So I would be wary of concluding that the book means "see we call in violation".

I think you are thinking of the locks on Kvothe's thrice-locked chest.

I don't have the book with me (I'm at work), but a friend of mine sent me this quote from the excerpt from book 2 that was released before book 2 was out(incidentally, this excerpt didn't make it in, so we might have to take it as apocryphal.)

That quote is from book 1.

Nice try Thistle, but even for those things that we can work out the meaning of Rhintae etc from other contexts, they don't really tanslate to Latin or anglo-saxon or Indo-sanskrit or anything like that. So I would be wary of concluding that the book means "see we call in violation".

Kind of confused by your method of address.

I was just taking the Latin notion for a ride and sharing what I found.

I believe could generally denotes uncertainty or wariness.

At any rate, I'd kind of glazed over "give it up" in your response to Slick Mongoose for the first draft of this post. There's really no need to silence lexical geekery.

Someone mentioned earlier if Denna's letter with the random capitalized words meant something. I tried to see if there was a secret message and failed, but I'll put the text here to see if anyone else wants to have a look.

"Kvothe,

I’m sorry to leave Imre without word or warning. I sent You a message the night of my departure, but I expect you never received it.

I have gone abroad looking for greener pasture and better Opportunity. I am fond of Imre, and enjoy the pleasure of your Occasional, though Sporadic, company, but it is an expensive city in which to live, and my prospects have grown slender of late.

Yll is lovely, all rolling hills. I find the weather quite to my liking, it is warmer and the air smells of the sea. It seems I might pass an entire winter without being brought to bed by my lungs. My first in years.

I have spent some time in the Small Kingdoms and saw a skirmish between two bands of mounted men. Such a crashing and Screaming of Horses you have never heard. I have spent some time afloat as well, and learned all manner of sailor’s knots, and how to spit properly. Also, my Cussing has been greatly broadened.

If you ask politely when we next meet, I may demonstrate my newfound skills.

I have seen my first Adem Mercenary. (They call them blood-shirts here.) She is hardly bigger than me, with quite the most remarkable grey eyes. She is pretty, but strange and quiet, endlessly twitching. I have not seen her fight and am not sure I wish to. Though I am curious.

I am still enamoured of the harp. And am currently housing with a skilled gentleman (whom I shall not name) for the furthurinse of my study in this.

I have drunk some wine while Writing this letter. I mention this to excuse my above spelling of the word Furtherence. Furtherance. Kist. You know what I mean.

I apologize for not writing sooner, but I have been a great deal traveling and not until now have I had Means to write a Letter. Now that I have done, I expect it might be a while longer before I find a traveler I trust to start this missive on its long road back to you.

I think of you often and fondly.

Yours,

D.

Pstscrpt. I hope your lute case is serving you well."

Someone mentioned earlier if Denna's letter with the random capitalized words meant something. I tried to see if there was a secret message and failed, but I'll put the text here to see if anyone else wants to have a look.

"Kvothe,

I’m sorry to leave Imre without word or warning. I sent You a message the night of my departure, but I expect you never received it.

I have gone abroad looking for greener pasture and better Opportunity. I am fond of Imre, and enjoy the pleasure of your Occasional, though Sporadic, company, but it is an expensive city in which to live, and my prospects have grown slender of late.

Yll is lovely, all rolling hills. I find the weather quite to my liking, it is warmer and the air smells of the sea. It seems I might pass an entire winter without being brought to bed by my lungs. My first in years.

I have spent some time in the Small Kingdoms and saw a skirmish between two bands of mounted men. Such a crashing and Screaming of Horses you have never heard. I have spent some time afloat as well, and learned all manner of sailor’s knots, and how to spit properly. Also, my Cussing has been greatly broadened.

If you ask politely when we next meet, I may demonstrate my newfound skills.

I have seen my first Adem Mercenary. (They call them blood-shirts here.) She is hardly bigger than me, with quite the most remarkable grey eyes. She is pretty, but strange and quiet, endlessly twitching. I have not seen her fight and am not sure I wish to. Though I am curious.

I am still enamoured of the harp. And am currently housing with a skilled gentleman (whom I shall not name) for the furthurinse of my study in this.

I have drunk some wine while Writing this letter. I mention this to excuse my above spelling of the word Furtherence. Furtherance. Kist. You know what I mean.

I apologize for not writing sooner, but I have been a great deal traveling and not until now have I had Means to write a Letter. Now that I have done, I expect it might be a while longer before I find a traveler I trust to start this missive on its long road back to you.

I think of you often and fondly.

Yours,

D.

Pstscrpt. I hope your lute case is serving you well."

Yes, I played around with those capital letters, too. I am probably reaching here, but remember when Denna was talking about a magic that is made true because you wrote it down? I am thinking that is what she is trying to do here--something about the capitals relates to some sort of magic system. Maybe Yllish knots? If you write out the capitalized letters in one long string, one thing becomes apparent: there are lots of "I's." Maybe the I's could represent blank space in the rope/cord. The other letters, like Y's and K's and A's and M's, could represent some specific kind of knot. The only thing sort of annoying about that theory is it doesn't let the reader be clever at all, because none of us know anything about Yllish knots. It would be more fun if the letters or words made a code any one of us could break right now if we were exceedingly clever.

I was thinking Denna's letter may have been trying to lure Kvothe east away from the University, in it's magical "subtext."

After re-reading the Aleph/Selitos story told by Skarpi. I am pretty convinced the Angels are "the singers" Haliax was referring too.

I think he called them "singers" because if he called them by their proper name they would know where he is and be able to judge the rather horrible action of killing a bunch of people.

ETA: It could also be a double entendre. The singers refer to "Angels" and to people who spread the Chandrian's story (Like Kvothe's father.)

Regarding Lorren and his importance/relation to the Amyr and the missingbooks on the Amyr:

1) The Cthaeh tells Kvothe that the Masters at the University may have the knowledge (of the Chandrian, and by extension, the Amyr) but wouldn't tell him even if he asked. Surely the master Archivist would be included in this knowledge

2) Lorren's giller, Viairi, from tNoTW had the description of what might be an Amyr... Kind of a Ranger/Aragorn type, with sword, knife, traveling hunter's clothes, and a strong build. Perhaps the library acquisitions department is part of the order Amyr

I think the abundance of "I"s is just because the word "I" is always capitalized.

I would rather look only at the capitals that would not normally be capitalized, but I'm not too hopeful of finding anything -- I think it's just imitating old documents where many words are capitalized.

Honestly, I hope Kvothe doesn't consider that repealed Expulsion his Expulsion he mentions in the beginning, because that'd be lame.

Though, how old is Kvothe now (in the story, not the present)? 17, 18? He's 25-ish in the present. He's been on the lam for 2 years. Book 3 has to cover basically 6 years. Book 2 covered a year. So I imagine much of Book 3 will consist of Kvothe peacefully learning Naming? Err, that is to say, we'll skip over large chunks of times where nothing happens? I dunno.

Though, I wouldn't mind an expulsion scene where the Master Hemme tells Kvothe how he discovered Kvothe's deal with the tuition-dude and how he's basically been stealing money from the University and the Maer, how he writes to the Maer about how Kvothe, Arliden's son stole the money, and how his Uncle has cut him off. And none of the Masters will react to Hemme using the word Uncle, none of them will even bat an eye at the fact the Maer had been sponsoring Kvothe, but Kvothe will be like "What."

Or something similar wherein they mention how Kvothe has been basically stealing from the Maer and Lorren makes an off-hand remark to how horrible it is to be stealing from family, or something.

At that point Kvothe will realize he's got Lackless blood, sneak through the Underthing to the door, and be like "Shit, that poem sez I can open this thing." And he just opens it for the lulz.

Also, 11 guests, wat. Where do they all come from?

I think the abundance of "I"s is just because the word "I" is always capitalized.

I would rather look only at the capitals that would not normally be capitalized, but I'm not too hopeful of finding anything -- I think it's just imitating old documents where many words are capitalized.

Hmm...I looked at it without the standard cap's, too, but it seemed to me if the cap was what what significant, then all the caps must have been significant. Because Denna used lots of fragments in that letter. Causing strange words to be capitalized at the beginning of a sentence. And she didn't have to do it that way. None of her other notes or letters are like this. Since she was largely ignoring typical use of the capital anyway, had she so desired, she could have written "i" instead of "I." That was why I ultimately decided all the caps must have significance.

Or, she could have just been drunk, as she says.

Actually, I think Kvothe is only 16 by the end of WMF, at least if you don't consider the extra time in the Fae.

But we're never given a precise age for present-day Kvothe, are we?

No, they are celebrating his 17th birthday near the end. With his extra Fae time he's prob closer to 17 1/2, 18.

He's 3 beards between 17 and 18. :P

In the present day he's described as, if you look really closely, he's about 25. I suspect there's still some overestimation there, he's been through a lot. He could even be as young as 20, maybe.

There are a lot of lurkers on this thread. Come join in, by all means. Signing up is a matter of minutes, and I'm sure you have a lot to share...

I always took Kvothe to be 25-27. However this does create interesting time problems in the third novel. That's virtually ten years that Kvothe has to explain (ok maybe as little as five if he ends the story before coming to the Waystone Inn and we take his current age to be 18=19.

Does anyone else feel that there is no way to cover everything in the final books. Short of Kvothe being like "the Name of fire came to me in the bath, as I saw the flickering flames. They looked like music, and I grabbed my lute and played. The fire roared in response".

Did Deena rook Kvothe with her ring and Ambrose play the role of the pawnshop keeper who is in on it?

The Widow's Wail con seems oddly foreshadowing considering what later happens with Deena's .ring. This is told a chapter after Kvothe sees Ambrose and Deena together.

I was thinking this. She explains the trick to him and then in the next chapter that happens. It seemed really fishy and I was expecting more to come of it.

Archived