Wise Man's Fear II (SPOILERS)

WrathOfTinyKittens

How insanely high would Hemme be willing to set Kvothe's tuition in order to piss off the Maer? Ten bucks says the Bursar is asking for a little more than is necessary to pay Kvothe's tuition when he draws on the Maer's accounts. Therefore, it would be the Maer who discovers the deal, not the University, when he inquires after the huge bills he's paying for Kvothe's education.

The smart money is on Kvothe opening the Four Plate Door. Gets expelled and uses the secret entrance to discover whats it in.

50 talents barely amounts to walking around money for the Maer. Then its half of anything over 20 goes to Knvothe and half goes to the Univeristy/Bursar. 15 and 15 and 50 so 80 talents? Still would be surprised if the Maer noticed.

Ser Scott

Hemme may not even have another shot at setting Kvothe's tuition. Unless he kills the Master Linguist, a sickness is not going to last a whole semester.

Also, was there mention that he was kicked out for something unepic that you have referred to? The smith apprentice says he was kicked out for using dark magics which is of course a story exaggeration but could also refer to an investigation into the events surrounding the bandit camp. Which I believe was previously mentioned. I can buy the Maer, who already showed doubt at Kvothe's kill count, discovering the Martin's dead which Kvothe uses as a link to the other bandits in what is surely be construed as dark magic. But then he buries the body a valley away and there would be significant decay.

Ser Scott

Hemme may not even have another shot at setting Kvothe's tuition. Unless he kills the Master Linguist, a sickness is not going to last a whole semester.

Also, was there mention that he was kicked out for something unepic that you have referred to? The smith apprentice says he was kicked out for using dark magics which is of course a story exaggeration but could also refer to an investigation into the events surrounding the bandit camp. Which I believe was previously mentioned. I can buy the Maer, who already showed doubt at Kvothe's kill count, discovering the Martin's dead which Kvothe uses as a link to the other bandits in what is surely be construed as dark magic. But then he buries the body a valley away and there would be significant decay.

Even aside from the burying and the decay, investigation would reveal nothing more than a heavily mutilated corpse. While unsavory, not necessarily evidence of malfeasance in itself. All of the bodies that Kvothe malfeased were burned, and so it would not be possible draw links between the injuries, especially since the Maer doesn't have any idea how sympathy works. However, Marten's or Tempi's testimony of what happened would probably be more than enough, even without the corpse. It's not like Kvothe was under an alias, and he didn't even bother to tell them to keep hush-hush about the whole thing.

Just some general thoughts on this...

Didn't love the book. It lacked plot direction. And...bah, I don't want to be negative.

Let's see. I'm pleased that I picked up on the Meluan thing. It was this bit that did it for me, personally:

I’d started a second bottle of wine by the time I read that young Netalia Lackless had run away with a troupe of traveling performers. Her parents had disowned her, of course, leaving Meluan the only heir to the Lackless lands. That explained Meluan’s hatred of the Ruh, and made me doubly glad I hadn’t made my Edema blood public here in Severen.

- Chap. 74 - Rumors

I'm imagining a possible reconciliation between her and Kvothe in book three. I mean, the Maer is such an influential force in the world, we have to expect more to happen there. Especially with his handy-man having a life debt of sorts to Kvothe. BTW, the way that turned around, I was surprised the Wizard and the Butler weren't in cahoot together. Nice.

So, did anyone like Rand? I found his struggles with bandits odd, especially considering his standing in the world. Perhaps Cinder made them more than they really in reality were, up until the point Kvothe showed up? I wonder if the Chandrian know Kvothe, already.

Oh, and for me, biggest moment of the book was Kvothe suddenly realising how similar Denna's pursuit of knowledge (among other things) is to his own. Both are hungry for wisdom and power, and take enjoyment out of acquiring it. I feel more sorry for Denna than Crazy-Eyes Kvothe, though.

Concerning Kvothe's blood, I had to respect his temperament and sufferability with the Maer. That man needed brought down a peg or two. How Kvothe didn't blow up on him sooner was a mystery.

Anyway, back to Kvothe Lackless. If the Maer can't get his lovely lady-wife pregnant (surprised he admitted how he wooed her!) and Kvothe is back in their good books, can we expect him to inherit the lot? Fits in with him having the box. Alhough he is not above theft.

Stego,

I agree the Maer may not begrudge Kvothe the pocket money. How would Lady Lackless react if she were to learn of Kvothe's graft?

Depends, if Hemme decides to write a letter to the Maer that states "Kvothe, Arliden's son, ..." or just "Kvothe ..."

Is there another secret way into the Archives besides the tortuous 15-minute stomach crawl through the air vent? I was left with the impression there wasn't.

Also, I'm with Scott - I think the Chancellor's done for.

Tears, I think in WMF Kvothe said he got scared while having a Plum Bomb flashback, that he got clautersphobic in the tunnel crawl to the archives, so I think it's the only way in. However, in NOTW, I thought Kvothe said that once in the Archives he was able to unlock some door that made entrance easier. :dunno:

Hello! Newbie and chronic-lurker here from Sydney *waves to other Aussies*

Props to all with their great theories and insights!

Just a few little musings of my own to add. As the per the quote below - does "kote" then mean "disaster"? If so, an interesting name to take on . . .

Also regarding the theories of Kvothe going slightly to the dark side and randomly killing people (Sim etc as the poet) - I don't believe that. In WMF's, in the beginning, he says to the Chronicler - "I've killed men and things that were more than men. Every one of them deserved it."

So I don't buy that he goes semi crazy or mad or starts killing wantonly.

Thats all - keep on the good work people.

Oh, Siaru is related to Temic in some manner, the phrase Kilvin says to Kvothe about disaster is "Chan Vaen edan Kote", Expect disaster every 7 years. Chan seems likely to be 7, so yeah.

Hello! Newbie and chronic-lurker here from Sydney *waves to other Aussies*

Props to all with their great theories and insights!

Just a few little musings of my own to add. As the per the quote below - does "kote" then mean "disaster"? If so, an interesting name to take on . . .

Also regarding the theories of Kvothe going slightly to the dark side and randomly killing people (Sim etc as the poet) - I don't believe that. In WMF's, in the beginning, he says to the Chronicler - "I've killed men and things that were more than men. Every one of them deserved it."

So I don't buy that he goes semi crazy or mad or starts killing wantonly.

Thats all - keep on the good work people.

Hey there and welcome, you should check out the Aussie Thread in the General Chat forum. Lots of us to talk to.

Also I have to agree with Scot in that I don't think Master Herme is going to be hanging around long.

Archived