A Thread for Small Questions VII

Angalin

What an interesting and well thought out reply, WD.

I agree that LF had no reason to outright lie. You raise a goodpoint about knowing about the little birds, I think this might have been what he meant.

The evidence:

LF arranged that Sansa always met with Dontos in the God's Wood, where there were no wall for the birds to hide in.

When Sansa met with tQoT Butterbumps was made to sing very loudly so that they would not be overheard. It's widely speculated that this meeting was arranged by LF.

Good catch there.

It is, but we must also bear in mind that Varys' survival, as he more or less says himself, is not down to the fact that no-one has any power over him - quite the reverse. If the former were true, he'd be perceived as a threat or a rogue element, and would need power of his own for protection, which he does not have. So in much the same manner as Tywin simply assumes he can always kill Varys if he crosses him, it's quite possible that LF thinks he has blackmail material. But as with Tywin's physical threats, that doesn't mean that Varys is actually under the degree of control LF claims to have in that scene with Cat: only that LF believes it to be so.

What do the Kingsguard do when they're not protecting the King?

I'm thinking about Robert going to Winterfell. With the exception of Renly (who isn't even the third in line to the throne), nobody in the Royal family was at Kings Landing. Yet four of the Kingsguard remained. Barristan is on the Council, so I can understand that, but what were the other three doing? I guess protecting the Council? Seems odd they'd have more Kingsguard protecting the Council than the entire Royal Family.

While what Rinso wrote is certainly true, I'd say that the Warden titles are in reality more honorary than anything else.

The Dornish certainly would never take orders from Mace Tyrell, neither the Ironmen from Tywin.

Who was the Warden of the South during Robert's rebellion? From what I recall, it seems Mace Tyrell was calling the shots in the field, far more than any of the Dornishmen, and they were both on the Loyalist side.

Who was the Warden of the South during Robert's rebellion? From what I recall, it seems Mace Tyrell was calling the shots in the field, far more than any of the Dornishmen, and they were both on the Loyalist side.

I'm pretty sure the Lord of Highgarden has always been the Warden of the South. Also, did any Dornishmen actually fight in the Rebellion? I always thought they didn't.

Just thought I'd ask because it's a bit unclear to me, who ruled at Dragonstone during the Targaryen dynasty up to Robert's Rebellion? Was it always one of the lesser members of the Targaryen family? In fact, I don't even know who ruled there when Aerys was king - was it Rhaegar?

Yes, it would've been Rhaegar while Aerys was king. Dragonstone became the seat of the heir apparent to the Iron Throne.

OK thanks! So basically most years of the Targ Dynasty, the Heir would hold Dragonstone - but was the fortress built by Aegon the Conquerer, or another Targ, or did it already exist under a different name?

Someone can correct me cause I might be totally wrong about this, but I was actually just reading the FAQ a few hours ago and there was mention of Dragonstone being conquered way before they made any inroads into the main continent. I'm not sure if that means it already existed or, perhaps more likely, they controlled the lands where Dragonstone was built.

OK thanks! So basically most years of the Targ Dynasty, the Heir would hold Dragonstone - but was the fortress built by Aegon the Conquerer, or another Targ, or did it already exist under a different name?

Dragonstone was the most Western outpost of old Valyria. The Targaryens fled here after the Doom of Valyria, some time before the Conquest.

I'm pretty sure the Lord of Highgarden has always been the Warden of the South. Also, did any Dornishmen actually fight in the Rebellion? I always thought they didn't.

Mace Tyrell was Lord of Highgarden and Warden of the South during Robert's Rebellion. He won a minor battle against the rebels at the start of the rebellion. Then all he did was besieging Stannis in Storm's End until the end of the war.

Prince Lewyn Martell of the Kingsguard had brought Dornish forces to fight for Rhaegar. They participated at the battle of the Trident where Lewyn Martell was slain.

While both Highgarden and Dorne fought on the Targaryen side in the war, we hear of no Dornish forces serving under Mace Tyrell.

Dragonstone was the most Western outpost of old Valyria. The Targaryens fled here after the Doom of Valyria, some time before the Conquest.

I've wondered how the kingdoms of Westeros felt about having a Valyrian outpost pretty much in sight of Westeros. How did Valyria manage to hold onto Dragonstone? Wouldn't the Stormlords or Lords of the Vale been interested in capturing it? On a related note, who controlled the "Crownlands" before the Targaryen conquest?

The Storm Kings seemed to control the lands past the Blackwater at some juncture, so I'd guess them.

The dragons probably kind of made it difficult to go and capture Dragonstone, I expect. More interestingly... why just an outpost? Why wasn't Valyria preparing Dragonstone as a launching pad for an invasion of a whole new continent? One with vast mineral wealth in the westerlands, which surely would have appealed to them.

More interestingly... why just an outpost? Why wasn't Valyria preparing Dragonstone as a launching pad for an invasion of a whole new continent? One with vast mineral wealth in the westerlands, which surely would have appealed to them.

Not sure if the books mention how long Dragonstone was an outpost, but perhaps it was Valyria's long-term plan to launch a conquest of Westeros from Dragonstone but the Doom happened first.

Why did Gregor kill Elia's children? Who gave him command to do this?

I mean, I know the official version doesn't say he has to kill the children, but did Gregor just do it out of his bloody nature or was there someone else who whispered this command to him?

Why did Gregor kill Elia's children? Who gave him command to do this?

I mean, I know the official version doesn't say he has to kill the children, but did Gregor just do it out of his bloody nature or was there someone else who whispered this command to him?

In ASoS Tywin indirectly tells Tyrion that he had given Gregor the command to kill the children. He says that Elia was killed as well because he didn't explicitly tell Gregor to spare her, and that at the time he hadn't yet realized what Gregor was. In the same conversation between Tywin and Tyrion it's stated that Ser Amory Lorch killed Rhaenys, while Gregor killed Aegon.

Archived