[BOOK SPOILERS] EP101 Discussion, Mark II

I watched it,liked it as much as possible after reading a book but..I don`t understand what the heck is wrong with Theon,i don`t like his cast at alll!And repeating Catelyn too old,an so on.

But one thing i am interested about,is what have they done with the scene where Rob should fight Joffrey and Bran should fight Tommen,i know it would be stupid for 20 years old Rob to fight young Joffrey,but what will then be the reason for Joffrey to send a murderer to kill Bran?

But one thing i am interested about,is what have they done with the scene where Rob should fight Joffrey and Bran should fight Tommen,i know it would be stupid for 20 years old Rob to fight young Joffrey,but what will then be the reason for Joffrey to send a murderer to kill Bran?

The same as in the books, I guess.

but what will then be the reason for Joffrey to send a murderer to kill Bran?

Joffrey didn't do that because he was mad at Bran, he did that to impress his father. If you remember (in ASOS or AFFC) Cersei recalls that Robert said they should just kill the child, it would be a mercy, or some such thing. Joffrey was doing it for attention, NOT because he hated Bran for beating Tommen.

Overall I absolutely loooooooved the show!!!!!!!!!!! Im still in a bit of shock over how amazing it all was coming to life in front of me.

But if I had anything negative to say it would be that the Dothraki just didnt seem that gritty to me, Khal was all clean where I was expecting him to be dirty as hell and the rest of his people seemed like clean brutes.

Joffrey didn't do that because he was mad at Bran, he did that to impress his father. If you remember (in ASOS or AFFC) Cersei recalls that Robert said they should just kill the child, it would be a mercy, or some such thing. Joffrey was doing it for attention, NOT because he hated Bran for beating Tommen.

Ah, i thought he did that to revenge Rob but i mixed it up, i`ve read it long ago...

Was it really that late on? I'll need to re-read. I loaned out GoT but will get it back tomorrow.

Just found out Winterfell is Doune castle. I can't believe i grew up 5 miles from Winterfell. Cool.

I'm pretty sure the first mention of it is in the prologue for ACOK (this would also be right after Dany makes the Dragons hatch). I suppose it may have appeared sooner without being mentioned.

Awesome that you grew up so close to Winterfell... I'm jealous!

When does the comet appear?

Drogo's funeral pyre. The Dothraki believe that the first star to appear that night is the spirit of the dead man, so the comet appearing the night of Drogo's funeral shows how great a khal he was.

Drogo's funeral pyre. The Dothraki believe that the first star to appear that night is the spirit of the dead man, so the comet appearing the night of Drogo's funeral shows how great a khal he was.

It appears earlier in the book than that. In the chapter where Bran and Rickon has had dreams foreshadowing the death of Ned, Maester Luwin is studying the comet through his copper lens.

seeing as how Dany still hasn't made it across the sea four books later, I think we could potentially wait on her plotline for at least one episode.

I think that doing so would allow more explanation of what's going on with Ned+Robert, a little more time introducing the main characters, and expanding a few key scenes. Jon and Tyrion's talk at the feast and The Things I Do for Love were both good scenes, but lacked the punch they could have had if they were a bit longer.

Yep, I agree, if you aren't going to make the first episode longer, then Dany’s story can definitely be pushed back. Although, it is good to make the connection right there when Robert says "not all of them" in response to Ned's "The Targaryens are gone". So maybe Dany and Viserys could be introduced and set up ("I'm gonna marry you off to this brutal horse lord in exchange for an army to win back our kingdom"), but leave all the wedding stuff for later.

Definitely could have used more time for some scenes.

A couple questions.

We know that the guy giving the gift of snakes at Dany's wedding was a Dornish envoy, right? I thought that was a pretty cool nod to the Dorne plotline from AFFC. I also liked the glimpses of Unsullied that we got at Illyrio's manse and at the wedding.

But this got me thinking: were there any other nods to the continuity in this episode? For instance, was Mance Rayder at the feast? I seem to recall catching a glimpse of someone in a black and red cloak, but not being able to see their face.

Also, during the first Viserys/Dany scene there's some sort of mural on the wall behind Viserys that shows some ships on what look to be rough seas. I wonder, could this be depicting the Doom of Valyria? The book does mention that there's a mosaic of the Doom at Illyrio's manse, and seeing the mural in the show made me think of that.

Been trying to keep up with the threads so forgiveness if someone else has pointed this out: I loved how an effect was done to make Dany and Viserys appear all golden and glowy when first the Khal is being introduced to them but Illyrio. It was the only time I noticed the effect being used but I felt it was a nice touch on several levels - notably they are children of the old Valyrian blood. Very ethereal effect if I may say.

Am I the only one who laughed at this comment? "I'll see you guys later, I'm going to go polish my sword in a peaceful area now."
Heh. Better euphemism than taking my talents to south beach, I suppose.

But this got me thinking: were there any other nods to the continuity in this episode? For instance, was Mance Rayder at the feast? I seem to recall catching a glimpse of someone in a black and red cloak, but not being able to see their face.
They haven't cast Mance, and no one was in a special cloak - plus Mance wouldn't be wearing that cloak south of the wall.

Archived