[BOOK SPOILERS] EP101 Discussion, Mark II

So simply undressing her then bending her over to have your way with her is better and less cheesy?
It's certainly faster to do, shows almost as much information, and if her being comfortable with Drogo later on (after learning how to please him and herself) happens like I think, it's entirely redundant. It's easy to show that Drogo wasn't totally rough with her (and they did do this, especially in comparison to the wedding party), and it's easy to show that Drogo wants to make her happy, he just doesn't know how. This is actually kinda confusing in the books; why would he switch from 'get her all excited' to 'don't care, moving on' back to 'hey, this foreplay thing is kinda awesome'? I get the foreplay the first night and then not worrying about it, but if he doesn't care after the first time why would he change?

What's up with the pronunciation of "Arya," it sounds like they're saying "EYE-ah"? That can't be right, there's an "r" in there! I've always thought it was "are-EE-ah" (like "Aria" in music).

Or an I just hearing it wrong?

I believe that's how Martin said it should be pronounced. The one with the "r" sound is wrong. There was a thread a long time ago by those who met Martin at various conventions asking about pronunciation of character names.

It was important for a number of reasons to non readers:

- Firmly established the Lannister family, particularly Cersei & Jaime, as important players in the series (remember, neither has a POV chapter in the first book)

- Drove home the death of Jon Arryn as an important event, and more than a passing mention from Cat to Ned in the next scene

- Explained what the "Hand of the King" is and began to sketch the outline of the power structure in King's Landing

- Hinted that something sinister was afoot and that Jon Arryn had knowledge of it

All these are essential points to establish with the audience. I thought the scene was executed brilliantly as it was 100% exposition but didn't immmediately appear that way. Like it or not, TV series need expository scenes like this for the benefit of those not familiar with the source material (or don't remember every detail ;)).

Yes, and also, it establishes that being Hand is VERY DANGEROUS, and hints that most of them don't last very long...which will obviously soon become important when Ned ponders taking it up. And it establishes that Jaime isn't really interested in power, not to the extent that Cersei is.

I liked the scene and I agree it's important for a number of reasons. To be honest, the first time I read the books, it took me a while to realize the full importance of the Jon Arryn plot. So it is good to have that reinforced early, before Catelyn and Ned get the letter.

Man, I'm so glad we got that screen shot with the Others and the sword. Holy shit! A crystal fucking sword! That is so awesome I can barely stand it. It looks like a vicious icicle of death. And then there's the other Others back there in the mist? All talking in their broken ice language? Soooo cooool.

And it makes me sad that you guys weren't feeling Robb. I thought he was awesome because he was able to convey quite a bit in a subtle way, without overdoing it. For example, there was that amazing look he gave his mom during the feast scene - it was part "oh come on I was having fun, why do I have to do this", part "oh shit, i'm in trouble" and part "yes, yes, i'm the big brother, I'll take care of it." Just wonderful. Then there was that brief but weighty glance that passed between Jon and Robb when Jon found puppy Ghost; that for me really reinforced how close they are and that despite what other people say, Robb considers Jon to be his brother 100%.

So I think I even liked Robb even more than I liked Jon, although that may be because at this point in the series Jon Snow is an emo teenager.

As I said over at TWOP - to you, I think - it's AAARRRRRya. Like a pirate. That comes straight from GRRM's wife. It is not like the song term.

Definitely the first time I've posted about. Not that I expect accurate depictions of my previous comments from you.

Thanks for the info

Sorry, I thought that this post was basically the same thing, phrased the same way.

Before I go into an all-out monologue, I'd like to ask one question about Arya. During the show, I kept hearing her name being pronounced "AY-a" - but reading here I see that it is Arya. Is it the actress's and/or character's dialect and pronunciation that makes it sound like Aya? The name IS pronounced like "AR-ee-a," right? I think it's beautiful.

And it makes me sad that you guys weren't feeling Robb. I thought he was awesome because he was able to convey quite a bit in a subtle way, without overdoing it. For example, there was that amazing look he gave his mom during the feast scene - it was part "oh come on I was having fun, why do I have to do this", part "oh shit, i'm in trouble" and part "yes, yes, i'm the big brother, I'll take care of it." Just wonderful. Then there was that brief but weighty glance that passed between Jon and Robb when Jon found puppy Ghost; that for me really reinforced how close they are and that despite what other people say, Robb considers Jon to be his brother 100%.

So I think I even liked Robb even more than I liked Jon, although that may be because at this point in the series Jon Snow is an emo teenager.

agree about the emo thing, but i want to point out that harington is doing a great job with jon, and he's actually less emo than usual. maybe it's just because he's older :D

When i talk about great job i mean that guy i really, really expressive. just details - the tone of the voice, the glances. All the doubts i had are gone now.

agree about the emo thing, but i want to point out that harington is doing a great job with jon, and he's actually less emo than usual. maybe it's just because he's older :D

When i talk about great job i mean that guy i really, really expressive. just details - the tone of the voice, the glances. All the doubts i had are gone now.

I'm with you. I've always been a fan of Kit Harrington's casting as Jon. He is definitely doing a good job with the brooding, the resentment, the earnestness and so on. I think maybe because I was expecting to like Harrington's Jon so much that I was a little surprised that I liked Madden's Robb to such a degree. I am really looking forward to what both of them do with their characters.

Talking about this reminded me once again how sad I am that there weren't more direwolf puppies running around. I know the pups were hard to train and all, but it seems like a shot or two of the kids playing with their puppies, or the puppies chasing each other about, would have been easy enough to do. Direwolf puppies! C'mon, HBO, more puppies = more viewers totally loosing their shit from the cuteness. Who needs good acting when puppies are involved?

Right. ACOK will have more dicks and more puppies.

While I'm all for this, why does it sound so wrong (and really dirty)? :P Kidding!

Edit: No really, it's a pretty nasty combo...

;-D

I loved Robb's look at Sansa when Joffrey is checking her out (when the King arrives at Winterfell). Particularly since it's after the shaving scene when Robb mentions he heard Joffreys a prick (or whatever he said- but that's the gist).

About the "white walkers". When Tyrion is talking to LC Mormont on the Wall, Mormont tells him that "the fisherfolk near Eastwatch have glimpsed white walkers on the shore". It seems kind of odd that this information wouldn't have been a bigger deal on the Wall, that he wouldn't have conveyed this information to Winterfell, or that Benjen wouldn't have mentioned it to Ned. Even if Ned might not have completely believed it, he most likely wouldn't dismiss a report from Mormont out of hand, and Mormont's dialog makes it sound like he does believe that something is out there.

I think this is the first time the term is used in the book, and I don't remember where else it is - is it definitely meant to refer to the Others? (Although, even if it isn't, wights should have been a pretty big deal too).

We haven't seen that much of Robb, but from what we have seen and the Stark featurettes we got earlier, I am very confident in Richard Madden's portrayal of Robb. I think he has captured the character very well, and I look forward to his scenes in the upcoming episodes.

After reading both threads, I think it's safe to say people will bitch about anything.

Well of course. People can't just appreciate the series for what it is. It must be torn apart and nit-picked until we all end up hating it because of eyebrows or beards.

Archived