NHL: Playoff Edition

BLU-RAY

Congratulations, Vancouver Canucks. Well done.

Crap. What to root for now? Three solid teams; three dubious fanbases. Or bitterly tuning out entirely.

Considering the demonstrable a-holeness of Bruins fans, the fact that Tampa sounds like a Bruins home game in the Lightning's own barn, and the Canucks fans are loud as fuck as long as things are going well, I'm leaning towards trying to support Vancouver going forward.

If that crowd goes silent again because of some minor setback I can see myself bitterly tuning out though.

Congratulations, Vancouver Canucks. Well done.

Crap. What to root for now? Three solid teams; three dubious fanbases. Or bitterly tuning out entirely.

Considering the demonstrable a-holeness of Bruins fans, the fact that Tampa sounds like a Bruins home game in the Lightning's own barn, and the Canucks fans are loud as fuck as long as things are going well, I'm leaning towards trying to support Vancouver going forward.

If that crowd goes silent again because of some minor setback I can see myself bitterly tuning out though.

The irony is that the Canuck fans were very loud in Game 4...in San Jose. I chuckled every time I heard "Lou" when Luongo made a save.

I completely emphasize with your struggle as to who to root for. If the finals had come down to SJ and Boston, I doubt I'd have cared enough to watch. Boston sports fans are douches in general, and no way would I have been able to support the Sharks after they'd knocked out BOTH of my favorite teams (the Kings being the other.) I didn't watch last year's finals for much the same reason.

By fairweather fans I refer to all of my obnoxious friends on Facebook who are suddenly Canucks fans. I'm quite sure that most of these idiots don't watch hockey regularly and cheer for the Canucks because they're the last Canadian team left. Which is lame and an insult to all of the Canadian boys playing for US teams.

Stepping outside of hockey, but...how about the Atlanta Braves? They couldn't even sell out PLAYOFF games in the early rounds.

You'll get no useful or logical discussion out of me regarding Braves fans. I don't even consider them human. Indeed, Braves fans are lesser beings than Dodgers fans in every meaningful way. I can't even work up any hatred for their lame-ass, Atlanta based team.

Which is lame and an insult to all of the Canadian boys playing for US teams.

This has always frustrated me. Every single team has around 65% Canadian rosters. Except for maybe Montreal.

Did I wish misfortune for Phil Kesler this week? Somewhat. Is he still my favorite player come the next Olympics? Almost certainly. Tim Thomas? Fuck yeah! Mike Modano? One of the best ever, anywhere. And motherfuck the Stars.

I just don't understand why anyone not from their city would give a shit if the team is in Canada or not. And where I may understand it (say like in Montreal) I don't respect it.

He'll play if there's any way he can.

So Thornton played that game with a separated shoulder. I may not like the dude, but you gotta respect the hell out of him for that.

:stunned:

:lol:

Jumbo is like the A-Rod of hockey without the roids or the championships. Supremely talented by any measure yet somehow despised for the most part outside his city.

Yeah Bones, I am so over the whole hockey-as-national-pride bullshit myth. If the Jets never left in the first place, you could be damn sure that I would not only cheer against any other Canadian team, but in Vancouver's case, I would actively hate rivalled by my disdain for the Flyers. I hated this team back in the early-mid nineties. But now I'm supposed to cheer for them because their game tickets are sold in the same money that I use? Fuck that. These fools on Facebook seem to have forgotten that.

:stunned:

:lol:

Jumbo is like the A-Rod of hockey without the roids or the championships. Supremely talented by any measure yet somehow despised for the most part outside his city.

Pretty apt comparison...though I might have gone with Barry Bonds instead. Was there ANYONE outside of San Francisco who liked that guy?

Pretty apt comparison...though I might have gone with Barry Bonds instead. Was there ANYONE outside of San Francisco who liked that guy?

I don't think it's quite comparable. I doubt anyone hates Thornton or A-Rod as much as they hate Bonds. Thorton/A-Rod hate = that guy's such a douche; Bonds hate = that guy RUINED BASEBALL!1 And Bonds is objectively better than the other two at his profession. Which is saying something. Which makes the roids thing say even more.

As a Vancouverite completely and utterly disinterested in hockey (yes, yes, I know, we exist), I am pleasantly surprised on behalf of the Canucks. No longer can I use their strange inconsistency and cold feet against them in a joke if they do win the Cup this year, which of course I wish they will, just to spite an old teacher who had the audacity to root for the Blackhawks last playoff season (even normally blah me was offended for our poor Nucks :P). The Sedins are kinda cute too, in a burly kind of way, and I have a soft spot for Kesler.

Go Canucks. But really, Canadians are everywhere in hockey. I think the Blackhawks last year had more Canadians than our own, wonderfully imported team? Either way, Canada wins... sort of.

Congratulations to the Canucks and their fans! Despite Luongo's best efforts to choke the team on that second SJ goal (2 on 0, eh? I think I shall LEAVE THE NET), and a damn fluky goal to win it, y'all finally made it. I do think the Sharks deserved to win last night, and I would have liked this series to go to seven, whichever team won, but at least now Vancouver has lots of time to prepare to crush Boston if they make it. Please crush Boston, yes?

Congratulations to the Canucks and their fans! Despite Luongo's best efforts to choke the team on that second SJ goal (2 on 0, eh? I think I shall LEAVE THE NET), and a damn fluky goal to win it, y'all finally made it. I do think the Sharks deserved to win last night, and I would have liked this series to go to seven, whichever team won, but at least now Vancouver has lots of time to prepare to crush Boston if they make it. Please crush Boston, yes?

Well there you go, Little Boot. Now you've jinxed Boston's chances. Hope you're happy.

Archived