NHL: Playoff Edition

BLU-RAY

And...exhale.

The Sedins looked much better tonight, which I think is a VERY encouraging sign. The Canucks simply aren't going all the way without the twins stepping their games up. Luongo still makes me nervous as hell, though. That first SJ goal was just terrible on his part.

Fantastic game.

The Sedin's may indeed be awake again. But so might Marleau be?

The Canucks finally got the memo about Niemi's blocker side high. This worries me.

Luongo showed a glimmer of his infamous occasional crack in the mental armor. This encourages me.

It's worth noting that the one blatant/pointless penalty SJ took, was revenged, and tied the game. Dany, pull your head out.

Let's ice Demers next time, M'kay?

I keep hearing how loud the Vancouver fans are, so I paid attention. Only when they are leading as it turns out. Since I've been repeatedly informed that San Jose fans must be n00bs at this, I'm going to assume that they just haven't learned to meditate and watch quietly while behind like real hockey fans. :smoking:

Sidenote: If the pre-game show masturbates over (Thornton and Kesler in this case) someone, expect them to be a non-factor by the third.

Fucking A! At least 3 more games of this! And I'd be a fool if I believed anything less than ETA: 6 a game 6, or 5 more.

Mood: Almost drunk now, wait Enthused

What a game! Looks like all players are starting to play up to their potential, finally (except for Luongo, maybe- that first goal was not pretty). Hope the rest of the series is this exciting.

And I know I'm late on my predictions, so feel free to throw these out, but:

Tampa in 6

San Jose in 7

Fucking A! At least 3 more games of this! And I'd be a fool if I believed anything less than ETA: 6 a game 6, or 5 more.

Mood: Almost drunk now, wait Enthused

I think we're looking at at least 5 more games, and probably 6. I expected this series to go the distance, and that first game only reinforced that thought for me.

Of course, if Vancouver wants to win it in 4, I won't complain. Don't see that happening though.

I foolishly chose to watch TV last night rather than the game. Well by saying 'I' I mean my gf and I, and it looks like I missed a good one. I'm kinda bummed that TSN is not showing anymore games, as I dislike the CBC analysts quite a bit. *sigh*

I keep hearing how loud the Vancouver fans are, so I paid attention. Only when they are leading as it turns out. Since I've been repeatedly informed that San Jose fans must be n00bs at this, I'm going to assume that they just haven't learned to meditate and watch quietly while behind like real hockey fans. :smoking:

Vancouver fans are loud, if you go to a bar or something. In the arena itself, not so much. Tickets are priced in the stratosphere (250 bucks a pop for the nosebleeds) so for the playoffs you have some diehards in the 'cheap' seats and the rest are suits or rich people there because it's the trendy place to be or whatever. My sister got a comped seat yesterday, phoned me on the way to the game - "Ok, what are the names of the players on our team?". I love my sis, but that's the kind of fan you get in Rogers Arena right now.

Anyways, Nashville fans were way louder than Vancouver last series, let alone the Shark Tank. You guys are impressive.

Also, go Canucks! I spent the game incredibly drunk so I don't remember a lot, besides Lou handing Joey Joe Joe a goal. Oh, Luongo. :worried:

I can never understand why a goalie making $10M can't shoot the puck, it isn't that hard to do, in my warm ups for pick up hockey I usually fire 5-10 pucks around the glass from behind the net or pick some corners after I've had my warm up shots.

I'm kinda bummed that TSN is not showing anymore games, as I dislike the CBC analysts quite a bit. *sigh*

Agreed, I can't stand Jim Hughson, especially when he's doing Canucks games. Honestly, a bit of homerism is fine but his hard-on for Kesler is out of hand. I couldn't even stand to listen to him in the Nashville series. TSN just has way better hockey coverage, and their intermission coverage is in a different league than CBC's.

So if the Thrashers move to Winnipeg, how do you guys think the realignment will go? I'm thinking that Nashville should end up in SE, Minnesota in Central, and Winnipeg in NW. Sorry Detroit, no move East for you. I can't imagine fucking with the Atlantic or NE, so the Red Wings are staying, imo. It makes no sense to put them in Atlanta's old spot in the SE.

So if the Thrashers move to Winnipeg, how do you guys think the realignment will go? I'm thinking that Nashville should end up in SE, Minnesota in Central, and Winnipeg in NW. Sorry Detroit, no move East for you. I can't imagine fucking with the Atlantic or NE, so the Red Wings are staying, imo. It makes no sense to put them in Atlanta's old spot in the SE.

I think Detroit should move to the NE, Boston to the Atlantic, Penguins to the SE, Winnipeg to the NW, and Minnesota to the central. It's too bad it wasn't Phoenix though, they could move to the NW as Winnipeg and then Vancouver finally could be in the Pacific where it should be.

I think Detroit should move to the NE, Boston to the Atlantic, Penguins to the SE, Winnipeg to the NW, and Minnesota to the central. It's too bad it wasn't Phoenix though, they could move to the NW as Winnipeg and then Vancouver finally could be in the Pacific where it should be.

eh... too much change to established teams don't you think? You eliminate/restrict Boston's rivalry with Montreal and Toronto, you give the SE teams Crosby but now Flyers lost a great rival.

I agree with Demonblade. NE and Atlantic are pretty sound right now and have some very established connections there. Only thing I could see instead of Minnesota moving to the central is something with Colorado over there in no man's land. Straight to the Central is sorta a stretch and that would leave the NW division basically about 3000 kms all straight east-west of each other. But perhaps move the Stars into the Central and the Avs take their place in the Pacific. The Avs don't have that strong of ties to any of the Canadian teams and it would help cut down on everyone's travel. Stars seem to have good chemistry with those California teams but...something has to give. I think they'd look great in a Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Columbus division.

Demonblade's idea is simplest though so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the way they go. Who thinks the move will happen this fall? I'm skeptical.

Vancouver fans are loud, if you go to a bar or something. In the arena itself, not so much. Tickets are priced in the stratosphere (250 bucks a pop for the nosebleeds)

That's depressing.

Anyways, Nashville fans were way louder than Vancouver last series, let alone the Shark Tank. You guys are impressive.

Thank you.

Even though I'm away this year, I did scream my ass off for over a decade in that building while constantly bombarded with shit from the internet and some of the media that we didn't deserve a franchise.

Stars seem to have good chemistry with those California teams but...something has to give.

This would be a travesty.

There is a reason why I have to explain to a n00b or out-of-towners why the crowd at the Tank boos the word "star" during our national anthem when Dallas is in town.

"Wait, did San Jose just boo the Star Spangled Banner for a second?"

"No, they were booing the word 'Star'"

Demonblade's idea is simplest though so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the way they go. Who thinks the move will happen this fall? I'm skeptical.

I think it's gonna happen this fall, to be honest. Nobody wants Atlanta to stay there besides Bettman, and he doesn't have the clout to keep the team in Atlanta like he did with Phoenix. In Phoenix, there were at least a few people kicking the tires, but there is nothing like that in Atlanta. He was so adamant on keeping the team in Phoenix in part because Balsille thought that he could circumvent the rules and get his team, but he forgot that the NHL is a private club, not a faceless corporation with hostile takeovers, and that he has to be invited in, not force his way in like he tried. I also think that Bettman used True North and Winnipeg fans as a bargaining chip in Phoenix, something that he simply can't do in Atlanta, because he has little leverage there. Plus, True North did him a huge solid by staying silent and waiting in the wings. Bettman probably realises that he should stay out of this one and let things take its course.

As I will be in the final year of my two-year program for my Education degree, and thus I will be too broke to get season tickets (a life-long dream of mine), I will probably be getting a kickass TV package for all the games. I just hope that it comes in HD, because watching hockey this year in HD has been a sweet blessing. :love:

Don't remember who, but somebody on TSN i believe said it can't be this year because the Board of Governors has to vote on it and there's no time. So there you go :). Obviously still probably will happen, just not this year.

ETA... Wait, did you mean the franchise move or the move between divisions? 'Cause the franchise move is happening this summer for sure in my books.

Well reallignment would have to be this year, but if it isn't it wouldn't be so bad seeing the Caps so many times next year. What would be awesome is having Winnipeg and Minnesota in the same division but that looks like that would rock the boat too much, methinks. Too many other teams would have to switch divisions for that to be possible. Minneapolis is reasonably close and is a much prettier city to visit than Edmonton or *shudder* Calgary. But alas. :(

Well reallignment would have to be this year, but if it isn't it wouldn't be so bad seeing the Caps so many times next year. What would be awesome is having Winnipeg and Minnesota in the same division but that looks like that would rock the boat too much, methinks. Too many other teams would have to switch divisions for that to be possible. Minneapolis is reasonably close and is a much prettier city to visit than Edmonton or *shudder* Calgary. But alas. :(

What about Colorado to the Central, Nashville to SE, and Winnipeg to NW? That let's you have the Jets and Wild together, and puts old rivals Colorado and Detroit in the same division.

Colorado might work, but looking at google maps it appears that Dallas is closer to Columbus than Denver is, so it might make more sense to move them instead. But then Colorado or Vancouver would have to move to the Pacific division, and I don't see the NHL breaking up all of those Canadian teams so it'll probably be Colorado that would go. Actually thinking about it, it may make more sense for the NHL to just keep the alignment the way it is for the year, just in case Phoenix ends up moving next year anyway (which is still a very real possibility) and we will have to worry about realignment again. The Coyotes moving to, say, Quebec City or Hamilton would probably put the final nail in the coffin for those in Detroit who want to be in the East.

Tampa sure isn't screwing around. I'm having flashbacks to '04 already.

ETA: 5 on 3. Boston has to come through here.

Edit2: And they get it done by a cunt hair. And damn, do these fans seem douchey.

There's been a long-standing rumor that Detroit ownership was promised that they'd be the first team to move into the Eastern Conference if the opportunity arose. That's not to say I think we'll be lucky enough for it to happen, just that it's been a supposed handshake deal for years.

My dream situation would be this one, floating around the local papers:

Detroit bumps Boston from the Northeast and joins Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and Buffalo. Boston moves to the Atlantic with Philadelphia, New Jersey and the New York teams. And Pittsburgh joins Washington, Carolina, Tampa Bay and Florida in the Southeast, ensuring more Sidney Crosby-Alex Ovechkin matchups for Bettman & Co. and the new TV deal with NBC/Versus.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110516/OPINION03/105160336/Wings-stuck-in-West--but-still-hope-for-exit-to-East#ixzz1Mey0Uv7F

But that'll never happen. 6 games against the Hawks is not worth a home game against Toronto or Montreal once every three years or whatever horseshit rotation we're on now.

Archived