NHL: Playoff Edition

BLU-RAY

Game 7 predictions?

Earlier tonight (before the game), I watched Barry Melrose say that while he thought the Wings would win and force a 7th game, he didn't think they were going to be able to beat them 4 straight times. I think I'm going to have to disagree. If it were the Wings trying to bounce back after losing 3 straight, I might like their chances a bit better, but I have no faith in the Sharks to do the same.

Of course, I didn't have any faith in the Canucks in this situation either, but they held off the Blackhawks.

If the sharks blow this, can we start calling them the caps of the west?

Dude, if anything, you would call the Caps the Sharks of the east (and I'm not convinced the Caps' playoff record is anywhere near as bad as the Sharks' yet). Since the lockout, the Sharks have had quite a history of doing amazing in the regular season and choking in the first or second round (except for last year, when they got swept in the third). If they lose tommorow, it'll be the first time since the lockout they've lost a series in a game 7 too- which is how the Caps went out twice in the past three years.

So is Game 7 to be played in San Jose on Thursday, 7:30CDT or 5:30PDT?!? WTF? That early for a game? On a weekday? I guess they wanted to have as many people watch the game as possible, but that's kinda early for the folks attending the game after work in SJ/Area.

Dude, if anything, you would call the Caps the Sharks of the east (and I'm not convinced the Caps' playoff record is anywhere near as bad as the Sharks' yet). Since the lockout, the Sharks have had quite a history of doing amazing in the regular season and choking in the first or second round (except for last year, when they got swept in the third). If they lose tommorow, it'll be the first time since the lockout they've lost a series in a game 7 too- which is how the Caps went out twice in the past three years.

I haven't been following the Sharks that long, but I would agree with this assessment. As a Caps fan, I've started rooting for the Sharks as my Western Conference team because we seem like kindred spirits.

When you think about it, this is an incredibly stupid move on my part.

About the Caps, apparently Leonsis is gonna leave Beaudeau's job status up to George McPhee, who stated earlier that he thinks Beaudreau's job is safe. Which is cool, but if the Caps fall in another prolonged slump next year like they did this year, you gotta believe that either he or McPhee are toast.

Game 7 predictions?

Earlier tonight (before the game), I watched Barry Melrose say that while he thought the Wings would win and force a 7th game, he didn't think they were going to be able to beat them 4 straight times. I think I'm going to have to disagree. If it were the Wings trying to bounce back after losing 3 straight, I might like their chances a bit better, but I have no faith in the Sharks to do the same.

Of course, I didn't have any faith in the Canucks in this situation either, but they held off the Blackhawks.

I had the same opinion as Melrose. I have a lot of respect for the Sharks, but the Wings seem pretty fresh considering the way the series is going and I'm giving them the nod this time. I just hope they'll have enough gas for the Canucks and Bruins.

More buzz around here then there's been in a long time - I think the locals have finally gone long enough without a cup again to be a little less spoiled.

Some choice cuts from local radio regarding Thornton

"He's hot garbage."

"Joe Thornton is on the same level as A-Rod for me."

And those are from the hosts. I don't feel so bad for the guy rubbing me the wrong way all these years, now. (For reference, his having hit a cop or two in his younger days has as much to do with it as the fact that I think he's a bit of a whiner and much nastier than his reputation.)

Well, I wanted a game 7 out of this round and someone one actually fell into place. Sorry LoB that it happened to your team, but I will be watching tonight and cheering for the Sharks. I'm 0 for 3 for this round predictions so if I want the perfect 0 for 4 Sharks need to win.

Winner of this I still think will make it past Vancouver though :laugh:

That was fun. Go Sharks!

Really strange for me to have a local pro team to root for. Never gonna happen in football or baseball, seems unlikely the Warriors will be worthy of it any time soon and the Earthquakes are just totally out of the question. But I can root for the Sharks.

First of all :bowdown: to the Red Wings. What a performance. What a franchise. See you guys again next year.

Vancouver fans: Are you scared? Or just well rested. Be honest now.

As far as this series, wow, just wow. That's what a playoff series should be. (Though alternating wins would be better.) 6 games by one goal; the 7th by two with an empty netter. Fantastic.

Marleau scored. Not only that, he played the body all night. Gutless my ass.

Apologies to Sirius for at least two more annoying games in San Jose. Apologies to Weekapaug for enjoying him being wrong. Suck it haters! :P

Vancouver fans: Are you scared? Or just well rested. Be honest now.

A little from column A, a little from column B. But the fear has less to do with the Sharks (though they're undeniably a quality team) and more to do with the Sedins' lack of production and Luongo's inconsistency.

WWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHOOOOOO!

Please don't do this again Sharks, it's a terrible strain on my nerves.

snake: 3 points

Caligula_K: 8 points

BLU-RAY: 12 points

Cable: 7 points

Sirius: 7 points

Biter: 14 points

Demonblade: 14 points

Spaced Kelso: 7 points

Habber: 7 points

Tyrion Lannister: 1 point

Spaced Kelso: 3 points

The Eastern Conference Finals start tomorrow. Bring it on, Demonblade and BLU-RAY. :box:

(3) Boston vs. (5) Tampa Bay - Boston in 6.

The Bruins are clearly my least favorite team of the final four (in part because they're the only ones without Swedish players on their roster), so it would make sense for them to make it to the finals. Also, Thomas has been really good. The question is - am I now underestimating Tampa Bay yet again?

(1) Vancouver vs. (2) San Jose - San Jose in 7.

Luongo vs. Niemi will be a key matchup, unsurprisingly.

After watching this second round, I firmly believe that we are going to see two game 7s for the Conference Finals. No team that made it this far is coasting or riding a hot streak, as they all four either made it through convincingly (as per the East), or they battled through some adversity and in the end came out on top (i.e. the West). At this point, anybody left has as good a chance as anybody else. Having said that, only two teams can emerge, so here are my picks:

Boston vs. TB - Boston in 7. TB's talent will take them to Game 7, but the Bruins are going to push them around like they did to Montreal.

SJ vs. Vancouver - SJ in 7. Both of these teams nearly shit the bed getting here and both of these teams have some key players that are almost total non-factors in games. So I'm thinking that neither team is going to dominate and we'll have a pretty entertaining series.

Archived