[Book Spoilers] What did non-readers of the book make of it?

Brienne the Beauty

I watched it with a friend. I have to say, we're from the Netherlands, so not being English is something that plays. Although we can understand it fairly well.

He didn't like the dwarf.

He asked me about "The Iron Throne" but I guess thats something you'll find out later.

The part where Ned and Robert went to the crypts wasn't clear at all. He didn't get anything about Neds sister.

He didn't get one thing about the previous king and the link to the Targaryens on the other side of the sea. I had to explain.

Well, there was one more direwolf, but I think it also wasn't obvious yet, that there was one white wolf for one bastard.

At first he asked about John Arryn, I had to explain he was the right hand of the king.

He didn't get the scene with the letter. Coming from Catlyns sister who has returned to the Eerie.

May be that subtitles would have made a difference, I'm not sure.

But I think family's and relations weren't to clear for people who haven't read the books

I was talking about GoT with my boss at work today and so far he really enjoys the show. It was unclear to him why Catelyn had to stay in Winterfell, so I explained that part to him.

He thinks Viserys and the Lannister twins are evil bastards. He enjoys all the intrigue and will definitely keep following the TV series.

Also discussing the TV series with one of my minions, he hasn't read the books and can't really keep track of what's going on, but he says that "it ticks all the boxes: monsters, murder, war, rape etc." His favourite characters are Tyrion, Jon, Ned and he hates "the blond-haired ones". His comment was that he knows he's supposed to hate them, but it's just too easy.

And the funny thing is that IMHO they are portraying the Lannisters of the series in a better light than the first book showed them to be.

You have to remember that the first book is told almost completely from a Stark point of view. (except for Tyrion/Dany)

My mum finally watched both episodes - she phoned me just now and said 'I. AM. HOOKED!' Started blathering about the direwolves, how awful Joffrey was, how she loves Jon and Tyrion, etc. I was like, 'Told you! Now you see why I have been banging on about it for months'. :D

I managed to get a few of my friends to watch it, had to explain who the Targs were to a couple of them though and one thought that the Others were just homeless people who lost their clothes

:stunned:

Ah yes, those crazy, naked, sword-wielding, coldness-immune, glow-eyed hobos of the North...

Found a link to this over on winter-is-coming.net before I saw this and just spent like 45 minutes reading the first 6 pages. Some people are quite perceptive - there's a couple people in there that basically have R+L=J down (although they have some confusion over who Rhaeger is, calling him "the targaryn who kidnapped Ned's sister" is fine by me).

Guessing that means that my father probably has it figured out as well - he's quite a perceptive guy like that.

I think a reader is posting on that thread , and all he's doing is pretending not to know the names, somebody should notify the moderators and have them ban him! username is (anothermi) ,don't know if i'm overreacting and this is just speculation,though if he is new to the series than he must be pretty damn good.

Finally watched episode 2 with my girlfriend now. Hard to tell if she's really hooked as she doesn't say a lot throughout other than to ask me to clarify a few things (also - she is Spanish so needs to concentrate extra hard!). At the end of both episodes she has exclaimed, "Don't end there!" which is a good thing. She was quite upset at Lady being killed, she HATES Cersei, thinks she is pure evil. When Jon asked Ned about his mother and Ned replied, "we'll talk next time" she let out a groan; she was obviously eager to find out more and obviously is guessing that it might be a long way off before we do.

When Summer killed the assassin she didn't really react. When Nymeria attacked Joffrey she let out a "hooray!". She finds the scenes with Dany hard to watch because of the rape, but she got a bit more interested when Dany decided to take matters into her own hands.

I watched episode one with my boyfriend last night, and to say he was shocked at the gore and sexual content is an understatement. He was actually expecting it to be a glorified kids series...oh how he was wrong :lol: I even found myself trying to excuse the sexual content (especially the rape scene at the end) in particular by promising it was not that bad in the books!

In terms of the content, he found the number of characters quite overwhelming and I had to explain to him who people were at various points. He also found the Dothraki clichéd savages and rather dull. His only theory for the following episodes that I can remember was that Bran will survive, but will have a severe mental disability, perhaps becoming mute or having hallucinations. He was looking forward to seeing how the other characters would react to him.

I may force him to watch episode two tonight...in which case follow ups are hopefully happening tomorrow :D

Interesting stories indeed.

Several days ago I spoke with a friend od mine, who only watched episode 1. While he liked the show, he seemed to think it was going to be typical fantasy Good beats Evil (Stark beats Lannister) story. I'm very eager for the episode(s) in which he will be proven completely wrong :) . I asked him how he thinks story is going to develop, and here are some of his predictions:

1. Starks will beat Lannisters

2. Ned will personally slay Jaime

3. Dany and Jon will hook up

4. he doesn't question Jon's parentage

Thumbs up for the "Northren Hobos", that's classy. Girl shed a tear at the tragic end of poor Lady. More dissing on NCW, more "heey, he's not bad" on Jon Snow. Go figure.

She had a hard time understanding why Cat was so harsh to Jon when he comes to say goodbye to Bran. She did saw the looks in ep01, but still felt like it wasn't enough to justify such hatred. Any non-readers felt the same way?

Archived