[Book Spoilers] What did non-readers of the book make of it?

Brienne the Beauty

'Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things' was definitely more of a success. My girlfriend was very sleepy just as we started to watch, but she became pretty enraptured by it all and seemed gripped throughout. She made me rewind the moment when Dany hits back at her brother because she enjoyed it so much, and she applauded :) She's also definitely a big Arya fan and loved the conversation she and Ned had this episode.

She was very much into it by the time we got to the final scene and literally screamed "nooo!" as it faded to black. She's also a Tyrion fan, and seems to think that it quite clearly wasn't him who tried to hurt Bran.

The introduction of Sam seems to have gone down well, his scenes were making her laugh a lot. She seemed able to follow the intricate story and exposition much easier this time aroun; that said, she was asking me some questions for clarification just at the moment Ned found Gendry, so I had to make sure she caught what was happening there.

"WTF? How was this the horse's fault? How brutal is that guy?"

"As if she'll catch the cat... wait, what's that giant thing there?"

:thumbsup:

As it faded to black:

"Quick, put the next episode on. WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE'S NO MORE??"

Hook, line and sinker :wideeyed:

A conversation with my non-reader friend/co-worker today (about ep 5).

friend: Holy crap! Shit went DOWN in Game of Thrones last night! So... I wonder what that Eunich guy's plan is anyway???

me: Varys? Yeah he's pretty interesting eh?

friend: No, I mean Littlefinger.

me: Littlefinger's not a eunich, Varys is though. I could see getting them confused.

friend: Oh. I thought they both were, I thought that's how Littlefinger got his name!

me: *laughing* no, he's not, but that's hilarious! I always thought his nickname must mean something else...

She's pretty hooked already. :) I've convinced her not to read the books until at least after she finishes the first season, so there should be more to come. :)

People like the show, but they want some "white walker action."

I don't know how to break the truth to them though. =\

Which truth? That every book except AFFC which isn't a complete book anyway includes at least one major scene where characters in the north fight the others and/or wights, and sometimes armies full of them? Don't forget Jon fighting Othor, the Fist of the First Men, or Sam the Slayer... They'll get white walker action this season.

Which truth? That every book except AFFC which isn't a complete book anyway includes at least one major scene where characters in the north fight the others and/or wights, and sometimes armies full of them? Don't forget Jon fighting Othor, the Fist of the First Men, or Sam the Slayer... They'll get white walker action this season.

where in clash of kings are there white walkers? Sam the slayer IIRC is in ASOS as is the fist of the first men, othor is AGOT but ACOK? Don't remember any Other action am I wrong?

ACOK also doesn't have any white walker scenes from my memory. The Fist and Sam the Slayer are in book 3. But yes, we do see one more white walker this season. Still, that only leaves us with two white walker scenes scenes in two seasons, assuming they follow the books accurately. Doesn't sound good for people who hope to see them every week...But it's just a minor gripe, really.

I watched episode 5 last night with some non-bookwalker friends. Afterwards I asked if they had any predictions for future episodes and one said "How about Loras to shave Renly's other armpit" :lol:

Silly people. Loras makes Renly shave the other armpit after the BJ, it turns him on.

At least it's not as bad as in movies/TV shows where someone has to stop shaving their face suddenly and yet there's no uneveness as they go charging out the door to heroically confront the emergency situation.

I get a huge kick out of this thread, since I don't know anyone who's watching this without having read the books already.

So, Episode 6. Reactions?

The Husband is loving it. He wants to rewatch it on Saturday night (this is our standard procedure). Too many things going on for just one watching.

He can't wait until they come out on DVD (although I do remind him they are "on demand" :lol: )

He refused to watch episode 7 on the computer because he would then have to wait 2 weeks for a new one.

He really doesn't make a lot of comments, but he is very hooked on the series.

My mom and brother both love it. They hate the Lannisters with a passion (besides Tyrion) and love the Starks. My brother thinks Littlefinger is up to something and refers to him as "that weasely creepy little fuck". So basically they're hooked and both get angry that they have to wait a week for another episode.

I've been spending a lot of time at various nOOb sites, people who haven't read the books but are totally committed to trying to decipher all the mysteries via the HBO series. One odd thing keeps popping up--in the Renly/Loras scene, one of them (can't remember which, but probably Renly) said that Stannis had 'all the personality of a lobster.' Well, this...weird analogy has led to no end of pointless (to those of us who know Stannis) speculation about--What Does This Mean? There must be a clue here. We know, of course, that there isn't, but I can see their point and their confusion. Who says somebody has the personality of a freakin' lobster? If the writers had said he had the personality of a dead mackeral, or just a dead fish or whatever, well, that's different. That immediately says basically, no personality at all. But, lobster? Even the whole 'sea food' reference to Stannis is meaningless, but then to narrow it down to the most expensive seafood delicacy seems to impart...something.

No great or huge point to be made here, just that I keep seeing it over and over at various nOOb sites--What does it mean? Why a lobster? A lobster is (in our modern world, anyway) above all, expensive. A special meal, a special treat, for most of us a rare and special treat. Does it mean that Stannis is somehow associated with the sea, somehow special and rare? Its just such an...odd analogy, one that I'm guessing the writers did not intend, at all.

Just passing along the nOObs confusion over Stannis=lobster. I expect (and look forward to!) the snarky Tyrion-like comments, and I'll probably agree with most all of them. Just posted this to point out how the nOObs out there are viewing Stannis=lobster.

(LOL, just writing this, ohhhh, wish I had a choice bit of lobster right now, dipped in warm butter, yum) Sorry, Stannis.

ETA: An example of the never-ending Stannis=lobster speculation from a nOObs thread:

Hmmm... Stannis the Lobster. I really can't wait to meet him. I'd love to see a scene between him & Joffrey & Cersei...

Hilarious!!!! Now I'll be disappointed if Stannis is less lobster-like than advertised. I'm also interested to see how he's any different than the Mountain. The Mountain isn't lobster-y, he's dumb but mammalian, not crustacean, so looking forward to Stannis...

I have a non-reader friend who ended up watching the pilot after I mentioned the show to him. He has no clue about ASoIaF and his comment after seeing the pilot was like: What is the show about? It seems just like scenes depicting life in medival times without any sort of central plot.

My advice was for him to watch the first five episodes and then decide after that if the show is worth following or not. IMO, the book and the show takes a while to setup the whole premise of the ASoIaF series and I think five episodes is a good sample to decide whether or not you like or dislike the show.

So my question is: How many episodes do you think a clueless non-reader viewer should try before deciding whether or not to stick with the series?

5 episodes are about right. That's when things really get rolling, and if the plot does not interest them or they are not invested in the characters they should not go any further.

ASOIAF & HBO's GOT is not for everyone. Some people don't care for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived