Capclave 2013 - Columbus Day Weekend- Washington DC

1. She was on bed rest since she was pregnant

2. The master of coins Beesbury objected and was killed by Cole.The coup was fairly silent as they kept the kings death secret. Cole also crowned Aegon II.

3. Yes we hear about all 6 of her sons and learn that her first husband was a velaryion and her second was her uncle, I think Daemon Targaryen. We also learn that Aegon II had two younger brothers and married his sister Helena.

4. Yes. There was a lot of talk about dragons. Rhaeneryas side has 9 (plus 3 wild) and Aegon only has 4 dragons. They talk about taming the wild dragons and then send her two boys as emissaries to the vale the north and storms end.

This. Is. Awesome. Are there any more names known? Who was the child Rhaenyra was pregnant with in 129 AL?

Have princess Rhaenys and Baela Targaryen been mentioned? I would love to know more about them

Really great. Let's continue this discussion over here: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/79950-the-princess-and-the-queen/page-24

Thank you very much One-Eyed-Raven!

Is it clear with whom Rhaenyra is pregnant at the beginning of the story? If it turns out to be Viserys II - which is not unlikely - then he may turn out to be one of the causes of the Dance.

As to the coup: Are there any other Targaryens beside Alicent's children present in the city? Any other siblings or cousins of Viserys I, and if so, how do they react to this development? Does Ser Otto survive the whole coup thing, or is he already replaced? Apparently, Ser Tyland Lannister is eventually going to become Aegon's Hand (which also seems to indicate that the Lannisters declare for Aegon II)?

Are all of Aegon's brothers on his side, or are they/some of them indifferent or even against the coup?

It's interesting to see that Alicent's daughter, Helena, has a non-Valyrian name. She may be a Targaryen, but she is also a Hightower, and naming Aegon II 'Aegon' can be read as a political statement as well (that he should be king).

If Rhaenyra has nine dragons (plus the wild ones), where are they? With her on Dragonstone, or with the others in the Dragonpit? Any mentioning of historical dragons we already know about? Vhagar should be still around, if he is already mentioned, is he already ridden by Aegon's brother Prince Aemond?

Meraxes and Balerion should be dead, but are Quicksilver - Aenys's dragon - and Silverwing - Queen Alysanne's dragon - still around? How big is Rhaenyra's she-dragon Syrax, assuming that she appears?

How old is Rhaenyra at the beginning of the story? Has she only six sons, or are there daughters as well? My guess is that she was somewhat older than one might have thought, well past thirty, perhaps even close to forty. How old are her older sons? How old is Aegon III if he appears? Are Aegon III and Viserys II her only sons from uncle Daemon, or do they have more?

Any mention as to why Daemon Targaryen could be this Ãœber-Targaryen he is supposed to be? Really great though that Rhaenyra did marry her uncle. That sort of incest was mentioned in the appendix of AGoT but actually never realized until now in the family tree we know as of yet.

Any word on Rhaenys Targaryen, The Queen Who Never Was? Is she Viserys's I Targaryen mother as some of us have speculated? If so, did she abdicate in favor of her son? Anything on Baela Targaryen? A cousin/aunt to Rhaenyra and Aegon? Apparently she is not Aegon's little sister-wife...

Are the (future) dragon-rider Nettles and Alys Rivers, the bastard-seer one and the same?

Did he give any other news?

About TWoW? No, not that I remember, except that he's been pretty much late for all of his writing projects (Dunk & Egg, TWoW, Dangerous Women, his Season 4 episode script). He may also have been saying this in jest, partly.

The day before, he said that Dangerous Women, the cross-genre anthology that includes "The Princess and the Queen" would be coming out in December. As Lany (I think) mentioned, the audiobook would have Iain Glen narrating his story. He also said that the original version of "The Princess and the Queen" was meant for the World of Ice and Fire book (combined with the stuff that Ran and Linda had already written), but it got extremely long and they didn't want the World book to have so much text (since it's essentially a coffee table book). So he cut out a lot and set it aside for what may ultimately become a Silmarillion-type book in the hazy distant future. Except that he said, for him, it would be more like a "Grim-arillion", which got more than a few chuckles. Then, when working on the anthology, he thought the Dance of the Dragons story would be a good fit, and with Gardner Dozois' help, he cut it down even more, to about 30,000 words and the result is what you'll see in Dangerous Women.

A word about the Barristan chapter (mostly non-spoilery). At first, I thought it was the same chapter that he'd read at Boskone last February. But in hindsight, it seemed much shorter to me, and somewhat different. Either he re-worked the chapter, or split it up, or it's a different chapter altogether, but in the same setting. I may try to confirm this today, if I get a chance to talk to him again. The Tyrion chapter was the same one that he read at WorldCon, apparently (from what people tell me). Both of these chapter readings seemed complete, unless he left out some middle parts. The "Princess and the Queen" reading was clearly not the full story.

I just wanted to thank everyone for an amazing weekend, I had a blast meeting all of you! Definitely not my last con, and I've gotten started on writing for the first time in years. It's been a great experience, can't wait till next time!

WOW!!!! What an excellent weekend meeting all of you BWB'ers in attendance at CapClave. The readings were excellent. Hearing George read is good, hearin him giggle is excellent!

It was great fun meeting and hanging out with Lily, Bex, Lany, maid, Naz, Pod, X-ray, and everyone!

I'm sitting in the airport heading out, sadly missing the afternoon signing today. But I can't complain, since I was able to spend quite a bit of quality time with GRRM (even if it was in my silent sister costume).

Well, then I ask a few additional, hopefully, precise questions:

1. Any word on who hangs out with Rhaenyra on Dragonstone beside her husband and her sons (i.e. members of her inner circle, lords, knights)? Any word on who is named Hand of the Queen?

2. Any word on Princess Rhaenys Targaryen ('The Queen Who Never Was') or Baela Targaryen? Was Rhaenys perhaps Viserys's I mother? Did Rhaenyra have any daughters?

3. Any details on Aegon II? Has already any children with his sister-queen?

4. Has Prince Aemond - one of Aegon's II brothers - already bonded with Vhagar (we know that he eventually rode Vhagar in the Dance from ADwD).

5. How did Rhaenyra eventually find out that her father has died and her half-brother usurped the throne? Did word get our, or was Rhaenyra officially commanded to do homage to King Aegon II?

6. Any information on Aegon's II future allies? Does Lord Hightower follow Ser Otto's and Alicent's lead? Does Highgarden follow Oldtown's lead, or has nothing happened yet? Any reaction of House Beesbury on the murder of their lord?

Sitting in the airport on my iPhone, but I'll take a stab at #1.

If I recall correctly, one of the kingsguard was already with Rhaenyra on dragonstone. Sometime during the night after the Aegon was crowned, one of the other whitecloaks defected (along with a squire and some others) to join her on dragonstone. They also stole away with the original crown.

Apologies for the post (on my iPhone an getting ready to board)

Archived