Capclave 2013 - Columbus Day Weekend- Washington DC

Meet&Greet is 5pm to 5:30pm. I'll post the room number soon.

I'll likely be wearing my House of Black and White shirt that day so people can easily find me.

Here is a truly hideous photo of me in a tiara, and Lord Dracarys wearing the House of Black and White shirt: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2854/9666368943_18c17c2096.jpg

Adorable! Are tiaras a suggested accoutrement?

Side question: If we have pimps smoking as an emoticon, why don't we have a princess in a tiara? :pimp: :hat:

Adorable! Are tiaras a suggested accoutrement?

Side question: If we have pimps smoking as an emoticon, why don't we have a princess in a tiara? :pimp: :hat:

When the heck did we get multiple pimps? :blink:

Tiaras are strictly optional.

By the way, that House of Black & White shirt is definitely something worth looking for if anyone is looking to find the BWB. I'll probably be wearing one either Saturday or Sunday, and I'm pretty sure a number of other Bros will be sporting them as well.

Thanks for answering my questions, I'm just excited about going to my first convention/meeting other asoiaf fans. My boyfriend and I decided to get a hotel for 2 nights now instead of one, so we will be at Capclave for all 3 days. Looking forward to meeting you all. Any descriptors, or should I just ask ppl in GOT/ASOIAF gear if they are BwBers?haha

Look for people in 'Blame Pod' shirts.

Look for people pointing and at Pod and blaming him, while wearing Blame Pod shirts... :P

I sincerely hope I can manage to snap a pic of me and Pod, with me in my Blame Pod shirt. A girl can dream...

Pretty sure I still have a picture of Pod in a Blame Pod shirt.

UPDATE on the Readings:

George R.R. Martin will be reading a chapter from THE WINDS OF WINTER and a section from "The Princess and the Queen" which is in the upcoming Dangerous Women Anthology. One will be Friday the other Saturday. No indication as to which is which...

AB

Brock - sadly, there are no more Blame Pod shirts to be had. :(

As to why we're blaming Pod... It's just what we do? I can't really explain the phenomenon (being a fl00b and all) but that's just what one does around here when something goes wrong. :dunno:

ETA: Pod I would not blame you for leaving that shirt at home!

As to why we're blaming Pod... It's just what we do? I can't really explain the phenomenon (being a fl00b and all) but that's just what one does around here when something goes wrong. :dunno:

Everytime this question comes up, I think of the old Robert Jordan quote..."ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again".

Basically, we've been on this board so long, we can barely remember. :drunk:

Or this may be one of those weird scientific tests, showing how we humans do something just because!

Everytime this question comes up, I think of the old Robert Jordan quote..."ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again".

Basically, we've been on this board so long, we can barely remember. :drunk:

Or this may be one of those weird scientific tests, showing how we humans do something just because!

That's a nice theory, Mr. Tinfoil Hat.

The real answer is because it's always his goddamn fault. For example, this morning, he changed my work email password to something I don't remember.

The real answer is because it's always his goddamn fault. For example, this morning, he changed my work email password to something I don't remember.

:leaving:

I am leaving on my travels tomorrow morning. I should be on the net every so often but either way, I should be arriving at the con hotel on Thursday at around 5ish. So i'm happy to catch up with anyone else there at that stage. :) Or Bill, happy to help out with set-up Thursday/Friday also!

:leaving:

I am leaving on my travels tomorrow morning. I should be on the net every so often but either way, I should be arriving at the con hotel on Thursday at around 5ish. So i'm happy to catch up with anyone else there at that stage. :) Or Bill, happy to help out with set-up Thursday/Friday also!

That's awesome. I'm leaving tomorrow to start my travels as well, also arriving Thursday.

Where are you coming from?

If you are coming from further away than Ireland, I'll be impressed! :)

I'm not sure who arrives when but i'm sure us early birds can arrange to meet after arrival. I'd give you my phone number but it is Irish. I'm presuming the hotel will have wifi anyhow, so I can keep up to date here.

2803 miles from Portland, OR

4527 miles from Ireland

Okay, you have me beat!

So, where all are you traveling before? I'm heading out today to visit family in NJ (near NYC).

I'll definitely check in here once I get to the hotel.

*Officially offering myself up for car-sharing!*

I live in New Brunswick, NJ. I can drive or be driven, and we can help cut the cost of gas and tolls! Preferably we could use whichever of our cars was more gas efficient. PM me!

Oh, just to note, I'm planning on leaving late late Saturday night or early Sunday morning (gotta get back to work).

Forgot about that :blush:

Seeing as how we have some BWB and/or convention neophytes, I figure it would be helpful to post some general guidelines to con-going.

1) You get out what you put in.

Don't just sit back and wait for others to find you. Keep an eye out for people in BWB shirts, or names you might recognize on badges, and introduce yourself!

2) Do not ask GRRM -- or any author -- for an autograph at any time outside of the designated autograph session on Saturday evening.

It's considered extremely rude to pester authors to sign your books, so leave them in your bag or your room until Saturday night.

3) These conventions are run by volunteers.

A little politeness and patience goes a long way to solving the inevitable snafus.

4) These conventions are run by fans.

Don't just hang out with the BWB -- if the opportunity presents itself, start a conversation with non-BWB book fans. I've met some lovely people this way.

5) Don't be an asshole.

Your behavior, as a member of the BWB, will reflect back on GRRM. Whether that is right or wrong or fair is beside the point. The upshot: please temper your behavior and your worst tendencies (at least in public). Failure to do so can get you booted from the convention, so fair warning on that one.

Please don't be put off by the above. Most of these rules are applicable beyond conventions and are just good sense. The rule about book signings is convention-specific, and I only mention it because that one isn't as well-known to new convention goers. :)

If you have questions, ask away!

A tip for book-collectors:
If you're not in the DC area often, and will have a vehicle, you may want to plan a side trip to the Daedalus Books warehouse store,

either during the con or on your way to/from the event.

It's just off I-95, in the DC suburb of Columbia MD.

They're one of the great places for remaindered books, CDs, and DVDs, with decent selections in all genres.

(Also a great place to pick up holiday cards and calendars for cheap, too.)

Here's a link to their web site:

http://www.daedalusbooks.com/Main/Stores/Col/WareHouseOutlet.asp

Archived