Capclave 2013 - Columbus Day Weekend- Washington DC

Hi I'm new to the whole going to cons thing and this will be my first. Is there an official way to join BWB or is it just consisting of group meetups at various cons? I'm asking cause I would love to meet new people to talk all about grrm and asoiaf with (at Capclave), since most people I know only watch the show.

Based on the preliminary schedule (http://www.capclave.org/capclave/capclave13/programming.php), here is a list of GRRM's appearances at the con:

Friday, 8-9 PM: Reading

Saturday, 2-3 PM: Reading

Saturday: 7:30 - 8:30 PM: Mass signing

Saturday, 9:30 PM - midnight: The George & Howard Show (with Howard Waldrop and Gardner Dozois). Jellybeans optional.

Sunday: 10-11 AM: Kaffeeklatsch*

Sunday: 11 AM - Noon: "Not A Panel"

Sunday, 4-5:30: Signing

*Note the following: "For George's Kaffeeklatsch, there will be a drawing for seats. One ticket will be available in SFWA Medical Fund Silent Auction. Tickets will be distributed by the Silent Auction table in the Bethesda room."

From the con web site:

The Capclave room block has now officially sold out. However, fear not. There are several other reasonably priced hotels very close by including, but not limited to:

Holiday Inn : 2 Montgomery Village Avenue, Gaithersburg, MD

Wyndham Garden Hotel Gaithersburg : 805 Russell Avenue, Gaithersburg, MD

TownePlace Suites Gaithersburg : 212 Perry Parkway, Gaithersburg, MD 20877

So will there be a bar hangout/meet up (or anything) on Saturday after George's show ends?

Bill will doubtless correct me if I'm wrong, but...

1) There is normally a cash bar at the awards ceremony, which is the scheduled event prior to the George & Howard Show. Dunno if it'll stay open longer...but that doesn't matter because

2) The con hotel's bar and lounge stays open till 2 AM on Friday and Saturday nights.

Another question: anyone on here going to this from Baltimore?

Originally from B-more........well, still kinda there just a little north of the city.

I'm from Baltimore. If you're asking about carpooling that is probably not happening with a stranger though. Not that I'm likely to be there for more than a night anyway.

INI -SON! you better be there!

Side note - Plans for Fridays arrival time are still a wee bit up in the air. Grandbuddy has his labs, ct scan and stuff that day. We'll already be in DC. Haven't mapquested yet, but I don't imagine Childrens is far from Con hotel.

From the con web site:

The Capclave room block has now officially sold out. However, fear not. There are several other reasonably priced hotels very close by including, but not limited to:

Holiday Inn : 2 Montgomery Village Avenue, Gaithersburg, MD

Wyndham Garden Hotel Gaithersburg : 805 Russell Avenue, Gaithersburg, MD

TownePlace Suites Gaithersburg : 212 Perry Parkway, Gaithersburg, MD 20877

I had booked the Marriott TownePlace Suites a long time ago, given my Marriott guest rewards membership helps my being able to attend more cons. Stayed there for the floating Northeast Filk music con three months ago. It was a nice property less than a mile from the Hilton, and includes a modest continental breakfast (for anyone up that early). So don't despair. ;)

Unfortunately, the list closed last week. :(

See here for info about the pre-dinner mixer (open to all BWB) and, later in the thread, DaveAx is posting information about alternative plans for food:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/96716-update-with-list-capclave-pig-dinner-2013-rsvp-thread/

Thanks for answering my questions, I'm just excited about going to my first convention/meeting other asoiaf fans. My boyfriend and I decided to get a hotel for 2 nights now instead of one, so we will be at Capclave for all 3 days. Looking forward to meeting you all. Any descriptors, or should I just ask ppl in GOT/ASOIAF gear if they are BwBers?haha

Thanks for answering my questions, I'm just excited about going to my first convention/meeting other asoiaf fans. My boyfriend and I decided to get a hotel for 2 nights now instead of one, so we will be at Capclave for all 3 days. Looking forward to meeting you all. Any descriptors, or should I just ask ppl in GOT/ASOIAF gear if they are BwBers?haha

Come to the scheduled Meet & Greet on Friday afternoon. That will let you identify a fair percentage of the BWBers in attendance.

Meet&Greet is 5pm to 5:30pm. I'll post the room number soon.

I'll likely be wearing my House of Black and White shirt that day so people can easily find me.

Here is a truly hideous photo of me in a tiara, and Lord Dracarys wearing the House of Black and White shirt: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2854/9666368943_18c17c2096.jpg

Archived