Capclave 2013 - Columbus Day Weekend- Washington DC

Great. It was already speculated how Rhaenyra got her father's crown - the one Jaehaerys I had made, the one with the seven jewels representing the Seven Kingdoms. She wore that crown during the Dance, Aegon II the crown of the Conqueror.

It seems that Lorent Marbrand (who apparently became Lord Commander of Rhaenyra's Queensguard) and Arryk Cargyll were with Rhaenyra on Dragonstone when her father died. If another knight defected to her that would make it 4:3 Kingsguard-wise for the two contenders. Pretty even. Especially since I don't give Ser Criston Cole all that long. He supposedly paid dearly for his treachery.

Have a nice flight! And go on and try to remember anything else.

Should hopefully manage to post more later but I can admit now that I had a truly wonderful time. I have to thank a lot of people for that.

From discussions on the Syphilis Suite to the amazing Friday meal to the sensational Silent Sisters costumes, it was an amazing success all the way.

Great. It was already speculated how Rhaenyra got her father's crown - the one Jaehaerys I had made, the one with the seven jewels representing the Seven Kingdoms. She wore that crown during the Dance, Aegon II the crown of the Conqueror.

It seems that Lorent Marbrand (who apparently became Lord Commander of Rhaenyra's Queensguard) and Arryk Cargyll were with Rhaenyra on Dragonstone when her father died. If another knight defected to her that would make it 4:3 Kingsguard-wise for the two contenders. Pretty even. Especially since I don't give Ser Criston Cole all that long. He supposedly paid dearly for his treachery.

Have a nice flight! And go on and try to remember anything else.

One more thing I can remember is during the description of Aegon's crowning there were only four kingsguard in attendance, which supports your assertion that three were on Dragonstone.

I've finally made it home - and they didn't even lose my luggage this time. Actually, the airline felt really bad about the last flight and didn't charge me for my checked luggage. Hey - that's $80!

Anyway, thanks everyone for an excellent weekend. I had SO much fun and met so many people.

Love to you all and I'll write more about the events tomorrow after I get some sleep (and have to work - bleh!)

Despite my trepidation with regard to cons and my original plan to just attend the Friday night dinner, the good people of the BwB convinced me to show up for all three days. I didn't really do much con stuff (panels, etc.) except for the GRRM events, but simply hanging out with old and new BwB friends was reason enough to have a great time. Props to MC and kair for a fantastic dinner and to Xray and Bill for their hard work in organizing the whole thing.

Now that I've finally met Pod, I can't imagine why we ever blame him for anything. Much credit and thanks to him and JetBoyGirl for making a con n00b feel at ease.

We're on the train home to NYC at the moment. Always a blast to see old friends and meet new ones.

Capclave itself was very nice. It's the smallest con I've attended, and I really liked the small, contained, and relaxed feel of it.

Why do we have to go back to our jobs again?

Despite my trepidation with regard to cons and my original plan to just attend the Friday night dinner, the good people of the BwB convinced me to show up for all three days. I didn't really do much con stuff (panels, etc.) except for the GRRM events, but simply hanging out with old and new BwB friends was reason enough to have a great time. Props to MC and kair for a fantastic dinner and to Xray and Bill for their hard work in organizing the whole thing.

Now that I've finally met Pod, I can't imagine why we ever blame him for anything. Much credit and thanks to him and JetBoyGirl for making a con n00b feel at ease.

DITTO DITTO to everything Naz said!

Many thanks for not only making me feel at ease but for welcoming my little silver haired darling into the fold.

It was an absolute delight meeting everyone and I have to say that was my favorite part of the whole weekend.

Hope everyone has returned home safely. POD - enjoy your last day in DC!

Should hopefully manage to post more later but I can admit now that I had a truly wonderful time. I have to thank a lot of people for that.

From discussions on the Syphilis Suite to the amazing Friday meal to the sensational Silent Sisters costumes, it was an amazing success all the way.

I am still giggling about the Syphilis Suite. And with all the other racy stories being told, it kinda made sense in a very perverted way. :rofl:

I should also reiterate that the Silent Sisters (CS and LV) totally stole the show. They were almost as popular as George, what with everyone wanting to take pics with them.

eta: Oh, and I had some great conversations with George and Parris about Bayonne, New York, old movie theaters, and architecture (go figure). Thank you both for being so gracious and friendly during dinner.

eta2: And holy shit... Bill... thanks for those Mercenary Dodo pint glasses. What a great surprise.

In response to Lord Varys:

Silverwing is still alive. The three wild dragons are there on a hill at Dragonstone and the locals have names for them like 'Sheep Stealer' or some such. They were never claimed when they were dragonettes for some reason. Rhaenyra's oldest son is 15, the next is 14, and then the third is 13. The other two can fly on their dragons (and so she will send them out as envoys, the 14-year old to the Baratheons) but the third's dragon isn't big enough. There were references to some other children with dragon eggs who carry them everywhere and sleep with them.

There are many details about Rhaenyra being named heir to the king in 101 or 103 ACL, with references to all the people who swore oaths to her as heir, the contracts that were signed, and so on. It seems that a lot of time has passed since she was 'crowned' heir, and many of those original supporters are dead.

The Queen Who Never Was is there at Dragonstone, and gives some fierce words of wisdom. She was a great dragon warrior, back in the day.

Rhaenyra is 8 months pregnant when she finally finds out that the king died and Aegon declared himself King. A number of days had passed with the king's chamber sealed to hide the truth of his death until the smell finally began to seep throughout the Keep. Eventually the evil queen Alicent and Aegon allowed the bells to toll and news to get out.They sent official word to Rhaenyra telling her that she would keep Dragonstone if she swore fealty. Incidentally, Aegon didn't want to take his sister's throne, but his evil mother convinced him that Rhaenyra would kill his 2 children and the other blood relatives in order to solidify her rule, so he only accepts the throne to protect his family. He sends her 'generous' peace terms, btw, but when she refuses he goes ape shit. Anyways, Rhaenyra goes into labor when she hears the news. She is in labor for 3 days and when the baby is born it is a premature still born girl. Rhaenyra recovers for a day, then declares war, blaming the Usurper for stealing her throne and for murdering her only daughter.

GRRM gave lots of details about the 'peace negotiations' that occurred before any battles - the two sides giving each other terms. For example, Rhaenyra wanted to make peace with her sister, Aegon's sister-wife.

And to Mercenary Chef:

Oh man, the food was phenomenal. I tried a bunch of stuff I would've never tried before. The baby beets - yum! The pig head! The fried balls of whatever the hell it was! Everything was fantastic and I can't believe you were able to make every thing taste so perfect while cooking it in a place that wasn't a kitchen!

And of course the desserts were wonderful too. In all serious I ate so much I almost made myself sick, which is why I had collapsed there at the end. Sooo goooooood. Thank you so much, everyone who made the dinner happen!

BTW, how is it that I met people and had no idea I was meeting kairparavel and My Lady Ashalind? I must be losing my hearing or something.

So I'm repeating what's already been said by others but I want to thank all of you for this weekend; I was pretty nervous about my first con, my first experience of anything in this, ahem, realm, but every positive expectation was met and exceeded and every bad one was soon dispelled, all except for the one about how much it would suck when it ended. Well, that and Maryland/DC traffic. You guys rule. I hope/plan for this weekend to be the first of many experiences...pretty much what I want is, decades hence, to be the non-famous equivalent of the George and Howard and Gardner show, my head full of fondly remembered tales of debauched revelry and stimulating conversation. Though being actually famous would be cool too.

Anyway, you guys rock and this weekend was great. Restored more than a little of my faith for the future and in that of mankind in general.

-Tripp

JetboyGirl,

that's really great!

Some additional questions:

1. You said Aegon II had two children. Did he have a son as well as a daughter? We already know that his daughter will become the first wife of Aegon III, but is the other child a boy or a girl? Any memory on the names of those children? Or the names of Aegon's II missing brother (by now we know Aegon II, Prince Aemond, Queen Helaena, but one brother is still a mystery)?

2. Any inclination what the High Septon/Faith made of Aegon's II coronation? Was the High Septon there and/or actively involved in the coup? Or did they stay out of the whole thing?

3. Ran already confirmed that Rhaenyra's three elder sons were born during her first marriage to the Velaryon (was he the Lord Velaryon by the way, or merely a knight/second son) but were rumored to be actually the sons of her Strong lover. Are those sons described in a way which would make those rumors accurate? Meaning: Had they non-Targaryen features? With Rhaenyra as mother and a Velaryon father they should have had the silver-gold hair and the purple eyes. As of yet we don't know if the Strongs were had darker hair and such. But if that was the case the chances are very good that Rhaenyra's elder sons did not look Valyrian at all, or that they would have only some Valyrian features (i.e. purple eyes or silver-gold hair).

4. Did I understand you correctly that the three elder sons are all supposed to serve as envoys, but that only two of them can fly on their dragons? The original report said that the three elder sons would were sent to Storm's End, the Vale, and the North, respectively (by the way, my guess is that the North and the Vale will declare for Rhaenyra - the Arryns especially, since they are kin to her). If that's the case, is one of them going to be an envoy without a dragon?

5. Any memory on the names of the elder sons of Rhaenyra? We know that she had five sons, and the younger two - Aegon III and Viserys II - were fathered by her uncle Prince Daemon Targaryen. They would have been the children running around with their dragon eggs, I assume.

6. Any details on Rhaenyra's Prince Consort, Prince Daemon Targaryen? He supposed to be some sort of Über-Targ, but according to Ran he may not make such a big impression in 'The Princess and the Queen'? Did he do anything? What was his advice in this whole affair? Is he close to his niece-wife and queen?

7. In comparing the two pretenders for the Iron Throne, who comes of as more in charge of things, Rhaenyra or Aegon? Aegon is reluctant at first but has he already started to put his own people into power? How much influence have Ser Otto Hightower - the Hand - Queen Dowager Alicent Hightower, and Ser Criston Cole? On the other side: Is it Rhaenyra pushed into fighting back or is she adamant from the start to claim her rights? Does the coup come to a surprise to Rhaenyra's court, especially the other guys, Daemon, The Queen Who Never Was, or Rhaenyra's elder sons?

Archived