Jeyne Westerling

themadking

They meant something because Catelyn wanted an heir to Robb's kingdom. I believe the matter is discussed in length in Catelyn's point of view. A son would reinforce Robb's political future and Jeyne's hips were evidently crucial to this. Hence the emphasis on her hips.

I ask, again: Why mention them more than once? Why have one person describe them noticeably different from someone else? Why overemphasize something that, at face value, ends up being anticlimactic?

Jeyne's hips are Chekov's guns, but it sure isn't just because Catelyn wanted her to pop out sons.

everytime i hear her name i facepalm. Learn from you dad's mistakes, honour got him and his people killed. this stupid family cannot play the game of thrones. Catelyn was the only one who was remotely competent in that regard and he sends he away.

He should have also let the lord karstark live, and use him as a hostage,married frey girl and handled his business

If anything is to be said for this series most wars are started and nded with alliances and behind the scenes actions, the swords are just the icing

Lol I think a lot of people do that (facepalm) upon mention of Jeyne Westerling. . . I think she showed to us that Robb, in spite of being King in the North, was still just a boy. He suffered a boy's death, anyhow. Part of me wishes that Robb had wed Margaery Tyrell--it would have been more of a political alliance than the simple boy-girl relationship Jeyne and Robb had.

". . . the swords are just the icing on the cake." I like that!

• 2 weeks later...

Did Sybell have a hand in the RW? She told Jamie, but who wouldn't? Twyin is dead and asking Walder Frey would take to long. If this was a scheme then of course she lied! And why did he marry her in the first place? Love at first sight, please. Refusing to have a bastard because of being raised with Jon by Cat, plausable. And it's true that the switch would be unoriginal because of Arya... But what about Davos' death and Brans and Rickons death

I will repeat it once again: All that pain would have been avoided if Lord Walder Frey had showed young pretty Roslin Frey to Robb and let them speak a little before he left the Twins; Robb, being as he is, would have fallen in love with her, and would have kept his pants on at the Westerling´s keep...

Robb, being as he is, would have fallen in love with her, and would have kept his pants on at the Westerling´s keep...

I dunno.... the whole "fall for the girl nursing you back to health" would still rear its pretty lil head when he's out west gettin hurt. And you know that first love is z0mg serious business!! when you're 16....

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I think it was just him being a boy and indulging in a young, foolish action. When Catelyn found out, the primary thing that struck here was how young his marrying Jeyne Westerling was. . . I think it's a brilliant reminder by GRRM in the text that Robb, despite being a king, was also a naive, inexperienced boy. And it was this that led him to his grave.

I ask, again: Why mention them more than once? Why have one person describe them noticeably different from someone else? Why overemphasize something that, at face value, ends up being anticlimactic?

Jeyne's hips are Chekov's guns, but it sure isn't just because Catelyn wanted her to pop out sons.

Yeah, I am gradually coming over to this line of thinking. If only Catelyn had mentioned her hips, then we could attribute that to an aspect of Catelyn's interest and character. But more than one character mentioned her hips, and like it or not, the descriptions are different.

So I think we're left with the possibilities that 1. this is not the real Jeyne Westerling, and, if so, why would her mother take part in this deception, or 2. Martin is trying to fuck with us.

I like the growing up with Cat and Jon, made Robb decide never to father a bastard, and just to be sure married Westerling. I dont like one of my fav characters to be a horney dog, or a romantic. I like him being a mammas boy the most

As much as I dislike Cat for her treatment of Jon, is there any textual evidence supporting this claim? I've heard it put forward before, but I just thought Robb married Jeyne because he had great sex, fell in "love" and decided to marry the girl even though he knew it was wrong.

As much as I dislike Cat for her treatment of Jon, is there any textual evidence supporting this claim? I've heard it put forward before, but I just thought Robb married Jeyne because he had great sex, fell in "love" and decided to marry the girl even though he knew it was wrong.

No, alas there aint. But still...

Yeah, I think it was just him being a boy and indulging in a young, foolish action. When Catelyn found out, the primary thing that struck here was how young his marrying Jeyne Westerling was. . . I think it's a brilliant reminder by GRRM in the text that Robb, despite being a king, was also a naive, inexperienced boy. And it was this that led him to his grave.

Actually he wasn't indulging in anything, Robb was wounded in battle, Lady Spicer (Lady is questionable here) saw a chance to advance the house and put her daughter in the room to tend to him, now whether planned or not Robb was under the influence of both drugs and hormones once he understood what happened he had two choices and neither was good on his fathers honor or the House of Stark, he made an immature honest mistake tried to rectify it as best he could but alas no Frey was super prickly.

Now my question is Robb had protection, where were his protectors? a protector not only protects the King from danger but also his self, why was there not a guard in the room or at the door?

Now my question is Robb had protection, where were his protectors? a protector not only protects the King from danger but also his self, why was there not a guard in the room or at the door?

TBH, I doubt Jeyne would have been viewed as much of a threat. Sleeping with her was not the problem, marrying her was.

TBH, I doubt Jeyne would have been viewed as much of a threat. Sleeping with her was not the problem, marrying her was.

True; but the question remains where are the people that should had advised him? someone should have said Robb don't bed or wed the girl, someone should have been thinking in advance like as soon as they saw a HOT YOUNG Dish ready to be served to the KITN.

Like who? Theon left, the Tullys were fighting their own battles, Karstarks are dicks, and his Mom was, i dont remember. He is the King, you cant cockblock the King, and like I said after he banged her, the brainwash from his mother and half brother, and maybe even the "honor" of his father compelled him to marry. I could see Westerling Mom helping him out with the decision

Actually he wasn't indulging in anything, Robb was wounded in battle, Lady Spicer (Lady is questionable here) saw a chance to advance the house and put her daughter in the room to tend to him, now whether planned or not Robb was under the influence of both drugs and hormones once he understood what happened he had two choices and neither was good on his fathers honor or the House of Stark, he made an immature honest mistake tried to rectify it as best he could but alas no Frey was super prickly.

Is there a way to read Robb's two choices as

1. Real person here (Jeyne) who will suffer

or

2. Anonymous Frey I've never met and only the alliance will suffer?

If so, Robb chooses right for a person over right for a cause, which is a problem and would not match with Ned's decisions, right?

I think his decision wasn't just simply because of the girls honor. If he wanted to save her honor he could have arranged a marriage with one of his bannermen for her. Like what happened to edrick's Storm's mother.

No I think the reason he married her is because recently he lost extremly important people in his life. He lost Ned, Sansa is prisoner, Arya is probably dead, and then he heard that Bran and Rickon was killed by Theon whom he considered as a brother as well. And then this girl gave him a little comfort, she became important to him and he didn't wanted to lose her as well. I think if there wouldn't be so many big losses for him just right before, even if he sleeps with her, he would have a clear enough mind not to marry her.

Now as for how much were those his actuall feelings that is a different question. Maggy the Frog, Jeyne's grandmother (or greatgrandmother) was famous for making love potions. It can be that Robb's strong feeling towards Jeyne were the effect of such a potion.

Like who? Theon left, the Tullys were fighting their own battles, Karstarks are dicks, and his Mom was, i dont remember. He is the King, you cant cockblock the King, and like I said after he banged her, the brainwash from his mother and half brother, and maybe even the "honor" of his father compelled him to marry. I could see Westerling Mom helping him out with the decision

At that time he had SmallJohn, Black Walder Frey ( you think he want to protect his family honor), Black Fish and others according to what I read and reread in Catelyn chapter 6 ACOK.

True; but the question remains where are the people that should had advised him? someone should have said Robb don't bed or wed the girl, someone should have been thinking in advance like as soon as they saw a HOT YOUNG Dish ready to be served to the KITN.

Even if someone saw the danger, what could they really do to prevent it? Demand that Robb's bednurse be some old crone instead of the nubile Jeyne? It's nice to think that Robb could have been saved from himself, but the reality is that in this situation he's the one who needed to exercise good judgment, and based on the suffering - both physical and emotional - that he was experiencing, along with typical teenaged boy hormones, he simply didn't. I have no idea if Jeyne went out of her way to be a temptress whilst nursing him, or if it was a premediated plot between her and Sybell to seduce the Young Wolf, but the point remains that there's little anyone could have done, besides Robb, to prevent this outcome from occurring.

Archived