What are you drinking now?

Harlot

Sour beers are my favorites. A local restaurant called the Pumphouse makes a kreik seasonally, and there is Le Folly. But I would love some of your other recs.

From Russian River Brewing Company out of Santa Rosa, CA:

Consecration - sour brown ale aged in Chardonnay barrels with currants. Probably the best American sour I've had.

Supplication - another sour brown, aged in Pinot Noir barrels with cherries. Only had it once, but damn near as good as Consecration.

Sanctification and Temptation are two sour blondes I've had from them, which were good but not quite as awesome. I'd say Santification was the more interesting of the two, as it reminded me more of a medium body white wine than a beer.

From Ithaca Brewing Company in Ithaca, NY:

Brute - I'm not sure they are making this regularly, which is a shame. Very much like a gueuze -- tart and refreshing.

Cascade Brewing from Portland, OR has a reputation for making good sour beers, though I've yet to try any of their stuff.

My favorite Belgian sours are things like the Rodenbach Grand Cru (the brewery where New Belgium's current brewmaster used to brew), lots of the Cantillon beers (the Iris is a personal favorite), the Girardin Gueuze 1882, and Liefman's Goudenband.

ETA: I just realized that if you go by avatars, this is a conversation between two hummingbirds. Oh, the things that amuse me on a Saturday morning.

A Moka pot brewed cup of coffee.

ETA: on the Gueuze discussion, I really like them. I have a Boon Mariage Parfait standing by now. As a note: according to the label the beer should be fine to at least 2030.

What's their best do you think?

I dispute the best-beer-is-from-CO claim, but New Belgium is a great brewery doing great things. Pretty much anything from their Lips of Faith series is worth seeking out. Eric's Ale was a revelation for me, I loved Vrienden (a collab with Allagash), and Le Terroir, the dry-hopped sour released not long ago, is ridiculously good.

Maharaja kinda sucks. Sorry guys. It's also a fact that I am not as crazy about super malty IPAs, and would take a Ballast Point Sculpin, or a Kern River Just Outstanding, or an Alpine Nelson any day of the week.

My favorite Belgian sours are things like the Rodenbach Grand Cru (the brewery where New Belgium's current brewmaster used to brew), lots of the Cantillon beers (the Iris is a personal favorite), the Girardin Gueuze 1882, and Liefman's Goudenband.

Liefman's Goudenband, yes! I also love Hanssens Oudbeitje (as often as my teeth will permit me to drink it).

Y'all should try Petit Obscura from Telegraph Brewing Co. out of Santa Barbara - of course you probably can't get it anymore because it's seasonal, but it's a soured small beer from the second runnings of their rye wine. Ridiculously delicious.

Y'all should try Petit Obscura from Telegraph Brewing Co. out of Santa Barbara - of course you probably can't get it anymore because it's seasonal, but it's a soured small beer from the second runnings of their rye wine. Ridiculously delicious.

That sounds awesome, and I also like the sound of a rye wine. Will have to check Telegraph out sometime, though I don't think we get them out East. Perhaps the next time we're in California I'll have a look.

Ballast Point Sculpin is mighty tasty as well. The San Diego area has some fantastic breweries -- Port/Lost Abbey and Alesmith are two of my favorites, period. Also a fan of Ballast Point and Green Flash.

Right now a Keystone Light...because I'm poor and in college

My condolences.

I remember getting a case of Goebbels for $8.25 back in college. Taste matched cost. We even had a bet on a basketball game where the losers had to chug a can. I felt sorry for my roomates and chugged with them.

But I survived, and am the better for the experience. I'm sure that tic will go away, eventually.

Right now a Keystone Light...because I'm poor and in college

Oh god. I have promised myself I will never drink that shlop again. EVER.

New Belgium's Mighty Arrow Pale Ale is not bad at all.

Yes, it is a decent beer.

I drank some Singletrack this afternoon, from Boulder Brewing. Though coming from Fort Collins I should despise all things Boulder, they make a good copper ale.

This evening's beers:

Rogue John John Juniper, a juniper pale aged in Rogue Distillery's spruce gin barrels. I like pale ales, I like juniper, and I like gin, but I really didn't like this particular combination. Smelled a bit off and had a vaguely vomit-like aftertaste.

Full Sail Bump in the Night "Cascadian Dark Ale". They call it a CDA, lots of other folks would call it a "Black IPA", but it tastes just like a hoppy porter, aka an India porter. Pretty darn good, actually. Not much of the clashing of citrusy US hops with the roast malt flavors that I've experienced in other CDA/black IPAs I've tried.

Pretty Things December 6th, 1855 East India Porter. Brewed using a recipe based on a London brewery's logs from 1855. Roast malt and biscuit flavors plus a healthy dose of earthy hops. Mighty tasty!

I don't drink a whole lot of beer but have one now and then. Picked up a pretty nice sampler pack from New Belgium at the grocery store last week on sale for ten bucks. Three each of Fat Tire, Ranger (IPA), Mighty Arrow (Pale Ale) and 1544 (Black Ale). All nice beers and can't really argue the price. Since I lean toward the darker beers, the 1544 is definitely a fave.

You take back your statement that Fat Tire is a "nice beer" or I will slander you with every chance I get from all angles, be it wine or Cal football or whatever I can come up with.

:commie:

Sorry (except for the actually being sorry part). Nice is all it gets. No unpleasant notes, nothing spectacular.

You take back your statement that Fat Tire is a "nice beer" or I will slander you with every chance I get from all angles, be it wine or Cal football or whatever I can come up with.

:commie:

Fat Tire is very drinkable. I will give you that it is overrated, but let us not get crazy. It goes down just fine, and ill take it over many other beers. Someone higher up is drinking Key for god's sake.

Well-played, Mr. Stone.

Of course, my favorite beer would have to be Arrogant Bastard.

It is from San Diego, has "bastard" in the name and the brewery name is an ASOIAF 'bastard' name - the one I use on the forums. I'd have to like it even if I didn't. Made much easier by actually being delicious.

Rogue John John Juniper, a juniper pale aged in Rogue Distillery's spruce gin barrels. I like pale ales, I like juniper, and I like gin, but I really didn't like this particular combination. Smelled a bit off and had a vaguely vomit-like aftertaste.

I had this at the Rogue brewery in Newport,OR a few years back and sadly I agree. It just wasn't to my taste.

Archived