[Book Spoilers] EP107 Early Discussion

Ran

Holy shit that was amazing... and the end was just as terribly depressing as when I read it. Oh, and I for one am happy that hbogo wasn't working right away because I was gonna watch the episode with my mom, and I think that lesbian scene might have been a bit awkward.

Easily my most favorite episode so far! As far as I care they did nothing wrong today (apart from the wonky servers). Highlights for me:

- Tywin! I may have to reimagine the way I picture him in the books. Bravo to the writers.

- Dany's beautiful beautiful eyes. They're not purple, but I really don't care anymore.

- Not one, but two bad ass oaths. Jason Momoa and Sam's actors have won me over. I loved how tender Drogo was in one moment then the mood whiplash hits. Its going to be heart breaking to see him go.

- Ghost!!

Osha looks younger than I pictured her but I like the casting. I also liked the scene with her Theon, and Maester Lewin. I think it could play out season 2 if they have her play Mata Hari with Theon, bedding him to further earn his trust and then help the Reeds with Bran and Rickon. We've firmly established that Theon is a horn-dog of the first order.

Osha looks younger than I pictured her but I like the casting. I also liked the scene with her Theon, and Maester Lewin. I think it could play out season 2 if they have her play Mata Hari with Theon, bedding him to further earn his trust and then help the Reeds with Bran and Rickon. We've firmly established that Theon is a horn-dog of the first order.

Makes sense since they made such a big deal of him losing his favorite whore.

Wow. By far the greatest episode of the entire season. That ending season was just absolutely fantastic, I do not think they could have done it better. I have yet to feel such emotion from this show. Having just finished that final scene my heart is racing. It was handled perfectly, the confusion, the betrayal. Just absolutely perfect.

A few other notes:

- The offer from Renly was well-played. You could see how the Loras/Renly scene foreshadowed Renly's sudden lust for power and his escape after Ned refused him.

- I was practically begging Ned to take Renly and Littlefinger's offers. I knew it would never happen, but I really wanted him to do so. This episode just made me realize all over again how foolish Ned was.

- We saw Ghost! I loved the whole weirwood scene, and like the brotherhood that is developing between Sam and Jon.

- Mark Addy's dying plea to Ned was magnificent.

I am sure there is more I could say, but I need to rewatch the episode because that amazing final scene just cleared everything else from my mind.

I know most people probably already know this but after failing to get on HBO Go for, like 3 hours, I went to Xfinity - you need a Comcast subscription (which I have) and watched the whole episode in hi-def with 0 problems.

New Lannister motto: "A Lannister always butchers his own meat."

Great episode, except for the scene with Littlefinger, Ros, and her co-worker. I could hardly stand to watch it, it just didn't feel right. Nice background info dump on LF, but really, I never imagined him as being quite so hands on in the brothels he owns.

I liked this episode, although it's not my favorite. I just finished watching episodes 6 and 7 back-to-back, so I'm a little blurry on which was in which.

• This might sound strange, but Ser Jorah's change of heart and the whole scene with the poisoned wine was my favorite part of the episode. The actor playing him continues to amaze, and the whole scene was just fantastic.

• Tywin and Jaime's interaction was great, although I'm not so sure about Tywin cleaning a deer while he was at it. I never got the impression from the books that Tywin was the type of guy who would go hunting out of personal desire(I think it would have been better to see him seated over his charts and letters at first). I still think Tywin was well-acted, though.

• Jon's scenes were great (and I loved how he looked foolish and spoiled when he found out he was put in the Stewards). Sam Tarly continues to be excellent, and his scenes with Jon work very well.

• That said, I'm sad that they didn't include the scene where Jon gets Sam to be Maester Aemon's personal steward. You saw some of the glimmerings of how he might be a decent Lord-Commander, including his line about the maester's chain and "you can't pound gold/copper into iron, no matter how many times you beat it, but that doesn't mean it's worthless." Since the rest of Jon's scenes went well, it's mostly okay.

• The whole betrayal of Ned flowed pretty well, although it did seem rather weird to have the confrontation with Cersei near the beginning of the episode. I wish they had included the part where she gets angry with Ned, and asks him "What do you know about honor? You have a bastard of your own".

On to Episode 8! A pity it's two weeks away, particularly when you consider that it's the episode that GRRM himself got to write.

I know most people probably already know this but after failing to get on HBO Go for, like 3 hours, I went to Xfinity - you need a Comcast subscription (which I have) and watched the whole episode in hi-def with 0 problems.

lol Comcast's site doesn't work at all for me. It wants me to upgrade silverlight. I have the latest version of moonlight and it's impossible to tell if it really wouldn't work or their version check script is just broken.

I've used hbogo.com several times to watch various things over the past week without problem, but now it doesn't work. I actually got to watch the first 45 minutes before it crapped out on me and now it forces me to start from the beginning when I try again. I don't have the patience to wait 45 minutes to see if it will work all the way through. Can someone explain to me why hulu seems to be capable of delivering perfect picture quality on 50kB/s while HBO seems convinced you need 384kB/s? That is why their servers are hosed. I'm not watching on an HDTV, there is no reason I need a 'hi-def' stream.

Great episode, except for the scene with Littlefinger, Ros, and her co-worker. I could hardly stand to watch it, it just didn't feel right. Nice background info dump on LF, but really, I never imagined him as being quite so hands on in the brothels he owns.

I liked the fact that he didn't take any pleasure in it. There's only one fantasy young girl woman for Littlefinger!

[*]Tywin and Jaime's interaction was great, although I'm not so sure about Tywin cleaning a deer while he was at it. I never got the impression from the books that Tywin was the type of guy who would go hunting out of personal desire(I think it would have been better to see him seated over his charts and letters at first). I still think Tywin was well-acted, though.

I came to the conclusion that the only reason Tywin was gutting the stag was to show how badass he is for the symbolism. Similar to when the stag killed the direwolf, we now have a two-legged lion gutting a stag.

Wow, they've raised the bar considerably with "You Win or You Die." I have no quibbles at all about this episode.

It was so well done, such a great build up, and things brought together nicely.

With all the little "seeds" they dropped in the first 5 episodes, things are starting to pay off.

Kudos all around. Superbly done.

What stuck out for me (above everything else) was Coster-Waldau's performance. When Jaime was speaking with Tywin, there was so much there in Jaime, so much that he was emoting through his expression. For the love of God, give this man a season 3.

Oh, man. I want to watch this NOW.

I love it, how Sean Bean is totally Ned to me now. This is going to be heartbreak all over again when they'd kill him. I wonder if people who haven't read the books can see it coming. He's the fucking hero! He's not suppose to DIE now. They gave him this injury, so that's going to be it, right? Right?

I'm totally gonna cry when they kill him.

This is just too raw for TV, can't imagine how the red wedding would feel like.

I came to the conclusion that the only reason Tywin was gutting the stag was to show how badass he is for the symbolism. Similar to when the stag killed the direwolf, we now have a two-legged lion gutting a stag.

Yes, especially the vivid moment when he cuts the stag's gut wide open and pulls out its entrails, and then later Ned reveals Robert's gaping stomach. A parallel worthy of GRRM.

And I have to say I was much happier to see Ghost than I thought I would be.

Anybody notice that Cersei doesn't mention the Baratheon child she supposedly had with Robert that she told Catelyn about? I wonder if they'll mention that in some way down the line. (If it was true or not, primarily)

Another thing in that scene.. as I recall wasn't Cersei idolizing Rhaegar in the books as opposed to Robert? Her formerly great love of Robert feels a bit odd in the scene, though it has been some time since I last read that particular scene in AGoT.

Also, did I imagine Jorah calling Dany by his old wife's name? Good stuff. GREAT episode.

EDIT: I was also glad to see more talking about Stannis, since for the first bunch of episodes he seemed to be swept under the rug for the most part.

Archived