Dresden Files

Humble Asskicker

I personally think that the Murphy/Dresden romance question has been dragged out a little too long at this point. The tension worked well through the first several books, but it began to loose credibility with me now that it has dragged on well over a decade. I hope that there is some kind of culmination of that story line with the next book.

I can not wait for this book. It is probably the most anticipated novel for me this year.

I don't want them to get together.

I'm backing a Harry and Molly relationship myself.

So...probably not a SanSan fan either? :P

Also: why does her new job matter? You're surely not worried about treason-through-copulation no?

I was much more of a Dresden-Lasciel shipper...still holding out hope.

EDIT: I've just remembered the specific detail I disliked from Cold Days- the suggestion that Winter is so much more powerful than Summer and could destroy Summer completely, if they just abandoned the duty of policing the Outer Gates. Stinks of plot convenience rather than internal logic.

I was much more of a Dresden-Lasciel shipper...still holding out hope.

EDIT: I've just remembered the specific detail I disliked from Cold Days- the suggestion that Winter is so much more powerful than Summer and could destroy Summer completely, if they just abandoned the duty of policing the Outer Gates. Stinks of plot convenience rather than internal logic.

Why? It has no effect in practice, it's essentially the same system as before. Winter can't fight Summer and win, Summer can't fight Winter and win.

Harry/Molly shippers give me the hebby jeebys. Particularly now given Molly's new job.

The first part I agree with, especially because...well, I think I posted this very same thought in Gen Chat recently about people legally sleeping with former students who they knew when young. That goes for fictional characters too. This is not something I particularly need to see portrayed in print.

The first part I agree with, especially because...well, I think I posted this very same thought in Gen Chat recently about people legally sleeping with former students who they knew when young. That goes for fictional characters too. This is not something I particularly need to see portrayed in print.

Have to agree. The mentor/student relationship is pretty skeevy. Then factor in that Harry is very close to her family and the mother already more or less hates him for getting her husband crippled. Lots of bad juju there.

Yeah, I realize wizards don't age normally, and I felt like Butcher was taking the first steps to making this a thing in the last book (until Molly took up the mantle) but I really don't want it to be a thing. Your best friend's daughter? Ew.

Why? It has no effect in practice, it's essentially the same system as before. Winter can't fight Summer and win, Summer can't fight Winter and win.

It feels messy and bolted on from the information we were given before. If these are elemental forces that are fundamentally opposed and equal then the suggestion the balance based on another external battle with its own ebb and flow feels messy. I understand why it helps the plot enormously, of course. I just wish that he'd gone another way (maybe equal summer and winter forces battling the Outsiders).

It feels messy and bolted on from the information we were given before. If these are elemental forces that are fundamentally opposed and equal then the suggestion the balance based on another external battle with its own ebb and flow feels messy. I understand why it helps the plot enormously, of course. I just wish that he'd gone another way (maybe equal summer and winter forces battling the Outsiders).

Maybe it was just a bit or foreshadowing? I think that was Harry's observation, right? Perhaps he's getting the sense that Mab is trying to tip the scales in her favor?

• 2 months later...

So... coming out this month, right? Haven't seen any sample chapters posted on Jim Butcher's website...

1 2 3 and more to come 5/13 and 5/20. Book is out 5/27. Definitely looking pretty interesting, though from these 3 I'm a little worried that it might not include much from our usual side cast. Did not enjoy that aspect of Ghost Story. But then, Cold Days looked that way from the samples too and wasn't.

1 2 3 and more to come 5/13 and 5/20. Book is out 5/27. Definitely looking pretty interesting, though from these 3 I'm a little worried that it might not include much from our usual side cast. Did not enjoy that aspect of Ghost Story. But then, Cold Days looked that way from the samples too and wasn't.

Thanks for the info and the links! Don't know why I was having trouble finding it before.

I'm really looking forward to this one.

As for the whole Murphy/Dresden thing, I too feel it has been dragged out a bit much by this point. Though i must confess, as wizards age differently than normal humans, I never wanted harry to end up with Murphy & the idea of him & Molly is iffy(I always liked Anastasia/Dresden, myself).

I've finished reading Skin Game earlier this morning. Found it in a local book shop in my country. I think they may have released it prematurely. I giggled internally at the looks on the cashier's face when I told them that they may have jumped the gun and released the book early.

One member of Team Dresden leveled up. Some bit players from previous books got some more screen time like Mort did in Ghost story. And the Parasite story line went in a surprising direction. I quite enjoyed the book. Its not top 5 book for the series but definitely top 10 i think.

I always get frustrated with the reports of people getting to read a book before I do. I guess I just have a jealous streak in me. It was made exponentially worse when ADWD was released early in Germany. The World Wars have been completely forgiven, but getting early copies of a book I waited on 11 years is still a sore spot.

I have actually really been anticipating this book. I finished an entire reread of the series earlier this year, and it was just as much fun the second time through. I will ask that we keep spoilers in quotes here until everyone has a chance to read it though.

Archived