[Book Spoilers] EP110 Discussion

Ran

Initial impressions:

DROGON IS ADORRRRRABLE. I thought they were behaving a bit like kittens, did anyone else get a feline vibe as well?

Whoa, was not expecting full-frontal on Emilia. Incredibly tastefully done though.

Pretty much everyone will have something else they wished to see INSTEAD of Maesterobics. I saw some SanSan shippers complaining about that on Twitter. As for me, I would have preferred to see Dany's love scene with catatonic Drogo. It would have been a bit weird, but I'm sure Emilia could have played Dany's utter heartbreak perfectly for us.

The script was SO SLICK. Everything from Greatjon planting the "there are no more dragons" seed early on, to Dany's "I don't want your screams, only your life..." and letting TV fans come to realize the magic by themselves, without clunky exposition... AWESOME.

THE KING IN THE NORTH.

That scene worked for me big time. The way she cradled the dragon was just like a parent cradling a newborn. You are so amazed at how small and fragile your child is and so frightened to move. When she sees everyone watching and is broken from her trace, she steps out like the queen she is.

I suppose.It was much less grand that I expected, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Awesome, awesome finale.

I guess now we know why they spoiled the "KING IN THE NORTH!" moment in the previews. It happened like five seconds in!

I was surprised that they trimmed Mirri Maz Dur's prophecy (or curse? Or just a nasty statement?) to remove the bit where she indicates that Dany is no longer capable of having children.

When Sam stood in front of Jon to keep him from leaving I kept hoping that Dumbledore would show up to give Sam 10 points for Gryiffindor since sometimes it takes more courage to stand up to ones friends than his enemies.

Emilia Clarke was great in this one. Nice to see Rickon show up again. That's, what, three times we saw him? They probably have the same issues with him as with the dogs. Little kids frequently bite people and spook horses.

They made the scene with Sansa and Joffrey headspotting a little more aggressive on Sansa's part. It's been a couple of months, but I'm pretty sure that in the book Sansa wasn't thinking of pushing Joffrey as much as she was thinking of jumping. It's a good change.

I liked the Pycelle scene. It's a little random, very "who are you? The narrator?" but it was a great performance by Walter Donovan and at least the girl wasn't Roz. Could have done without the old man calisthenics.

I so wasn't sure about Conleth Hill as Varys, so strong was Roy Dotrice's Frank-Nelson-as-Varys voice, but in the end I think the guy's just spectacular.

Good to see a little extra from Arya. Otherwise the clear fan favorite wouldn't have been in there at all. That haircut, though. Dang. I never imagined Hot Pie being that chunky. Dudley Dursley is riding to the Wall, I guess. Also, yay, Gendry! Good thing he called out having been a blacksmith or I doubt anyone would have recognized him.

The end was pretty fantastic, but I'm hells of disappointed that they took out one of my favorite parts. Her calling on Jhogo, Rakharo and Aggo and them refusing because she's a woman only for them to change their mind and declare "blood of my blood!" when they see what she has done.

...because GRRM writes the books with every event in precise, chronological order--right?

So are you saying that the producers/writers shouldn't try to make some sense out of the timeline ? The Arya scene with Gendry and Hot Pie was OBVIOUSLY a follow-up of the Yoren cutting her hair right after Ned's execution !!! (Yes, I'm aware that in the books such scene takes place weeks later OUTSIDE of KL but in the show such scene happens BEFORE they leave)

Pycelle was a Lannister lackey in the books, nothing more. He wasn't a "player" like Varys, Littlefinger, the Imp, etc.

Actually, what you're saying could be entirely wrong.

In aFfC we're constantly given descriptons of Pycelle through Cersei's POV. She describes him as getting more useless and older looking by the day but this could be part of an act of his. He's the only counsellor that ever tries to talk sense into her. He also does nothing to free her, after giving her that Moontea piece of information/rope (and being "too weak of character" to finish explaining why he was giving it to Margaery) He's also currently one of 2 people currently ruling the realm - not bad for a "decrepit" old man eh.

Initial impressions:

DROGON IS ADORRRRRABLE. I thought they were behaving a bit like kittens, did anyone else get a feline vibe as well?

Hi, there, you! With you all the way on Drogon! I posted this a bit further upthread (even knowing that in the deluge here right after an episode, especially this one, nobody really reads anybody else's posts in the rush to get their own thoughts down on 'paper.'

This:

I love it that Dany's shoulder-dragon, Drogon, is red. (He was black in the books). Also that while Viserion is nursing and Rhaegal is climbing up her leg, Drogon goes right up for the high ground, spreads his wings and hisses threat and attitude at the people standing there watching. No question who the top dog dragon is in that little group of triplets. Go, Drogon, get your bad self on, and you just a few hours old!

I was really really apprehensive about the final scene, but I think they pulled it off. It was heart-pounding.

They kept Dany's hair, haha. Interesting move. I imagine they didn't think the bald-cap would work and they would have to keep changing up the wigs, eh?

Poor Drogo. Geesh.

Loved the dragons in CGI. I think that was my biggest concern. Dany looked absolutely beautiful. Just beautiful.

I cried during the scene where Dany was saying goodbye to him. Actually, I think I started crying when she first saw him laying there and asked when he "would be back as he was."

I cried during the scene with Catelyn and Robb (as well as the scene with Bran/Osha and the Maester).

I also cried during the scene where Jon's comrades came to retrieve him, to repeat the oath to him. I love Sam! I just love him! And the actor is superb. He IS Sam. Completely and Wholly.

The only thing that I felt was a bit underplayed was the Mirri Maz part where you realize she was at fault for Drogo's festering wound/death, then his creepy return to life. I remember feeling so utterly betrayed when reading the book and in the series adaptation, she came across as so sympathetic. Perhaps it's just a testament to the actress who played Mirri.

I can't wait for a screen cap of Dany with the dragons!

Finally, I just wanted to say that it's been a joy watching this show with you all. Now, we can return to our squealing and flapping about in regard to season 2 casting.

xoxo

I always wondered after reading the book and then the episode if Dany's baby that was "still born" that when described sounds a lot like a dragon. is there a chance her child was going to look that way anyway? from the book reading I couldn't tell if it was really still born or they just couldn't bear to let it live or to care for the scaley baby with wings?

just saying initially I thought of course her childs life was taken for the drogo spell and in turn cost the life of the child leaving behind the scaley thing. but what if it just cost the childs life but wasn't responsible for the dragon characteristics.

I mean a DRAGON sure sounds like a Stallion who could mount the world.

I know it's all moot.

unless Dany every has children again.

(repost from the "rating" thread)

Ah Roz, the girl people love to hate. I have to say I'm not in love with the character but I don't hate her with the venom other people on here do. Still not satisfied with the alteration done with Shae, unlike the others who have been changed slightly (Lysa, Syrio, Lord Frey, Sam) they did not change her for the better or keep the spirit of her character intact. She's the whore I can't stand in the series to be honest with you.

all 4 of those characters are very accurate in my opinion not even any slight changes i can think of tbh.

To be fair, he is described as black and scarlet in his first appearance in the novels. Maybe he will darken as he ages :)

Yes, you're exactly right. His later appearances just describe him as black. My observation of HBO Drogon though, was that he seemed, to me anyway, red, perhaps with black points. Minor quibbling either way, I guess. Go, Drogon!

When Sam stood in front of Jon to keep him from leaving I kept hoping that Dumbledore would show up to give Sam 10 points for Gryiffindor since sometimes it takes more courage to stand up to ones friends than his enemies.

Get out of my brain!

Loved it! Not that there was really any doubt about that going into the finale. However, the women especially stole the show tonight.

I was especially pleased with how Sansa's scene turned out. She is a character who has received a lot of hate throughout the first season, a lot of it justifiably so. But as a fan of Sansa throughout the books, I was eagerly looking forward to this scene, in a perverse kind of way - not for the content, of course, but instead since it marks a major turning point in Sansa's character arc. I loved that they kept in Sansa's quote about Joffrey's head, as well as her immediate thoughts of flinging Joffrey from the wall after she is struck. Much has been made of Arya's strength, but this was a moment where Sansa showed what she is made of as well. I was also appreciative of the Hound's role being maintained in this scene. After his background story was given to Littlefinger, I was a little concerned that the Sansa/Sandor relationship was going to be overlooked to some degree, but I now think that this worry might be unfounded. It was good to see the two interact, even in such dismal circumstances.

Catelyn was lovely, as always. Her words to Robb about ruining his sword seemed a bit empty to me, but I suppose we all say peculiar things in times of grief, so I'm not one to judge the dialogue too harshly. Mostly, I loved the way she struck Jaime. I thought we were really robbed earlier in the season when they depicted Catelyn and Tyrion being attacked by the tribesmen on the way to the Eyrie. In the book, Catelyn has a particularly fierce moment where she stabs or cuts the throat of an attacker, but she was a mere bystander in the series. Seeing her take that rock to his head in this episode is an even trade, in my opinion.

I, for one, do not mind Roz still showing up every now and then, but I will say this - the sequence of scenes made the one between her and Pycelle feel incredibly awkward upon my first viewing. I understand the value of inserting an additional scene to show Joffrey's council and how none of them are who they appear to be. But to jump from the emotional and traumatic impact of Dany smothering Drogo to a brand-new scene of questionable importance between Roz and Pycelle? It felt...jarring, to say the least.

But nothing could slow the momentum of Dany's epic final scene. It was fantastic. I was a bit worried about the quality of the CGI dragons going into tonight, but they were perfect. And unusually cuter than I had imagined, not that that's a problem. The combination of this scene, along with the cut of the men of the Night's Watch riding out beyond the Wall, definitely gets you pumped for the second season.

Looking back on the season, I do really appreciate the way that the show gave more time to establishing Theon's character. In the books, I just remember being so taken aback when he became a prominent figure in the second book, since he had seemed so minor before then. Now, it really made an impact to see Theon swear his allegiance to Robb as the King of the North. I was trying not to spoil anything for my boyfriend, who has not read the books, but even I couldn't suppress a scowl as he knelt, knowing what he's about to do.

And Rickon/Shaggydog! I love how our beloved future king of Westeros keeps on popping out of dark corners. Good to see direwolves again, too. I literally squee each time that one appears on screen.

I can think of little complaints here and there, but overall, I am just so grateful to HBO for this first season. I am really pleased with the way it turned out, and I have complete faith going into the second season that they will continue to excel. The entire ensemble is so dead-on, especially with the younger set, that it's truly a pleasure to watch, and tonight's episode was no different.

They made the scene with Sansa and Joffrey headspotting a little more aggressive on Sansa's part. It's been a couple of months, but I'm pretty sure that in the book Sansa wasn't thinking of pushing Joffrey as much as she was thinking of jumping. It's a good change.

Actually I think in the book, the thought of pushing him comes first. Then she thinks a few moments later that she might fall off in the process but that "it wouldn't even matter."

I really like this portrayal of Sansa. Sophie Turner is doing a great job, as are the writers, despite the small character changes.

I love that they kept that battlement scene pretty much intact from the book. It's one of my favorite Sansa moments, when she looks at Joffrey and says, "Maybe my brother will bring me YOUR head."

And yay! Sandor spoke more than 1 line! Still, Needs More Hound, or at least stop cutting all his scenes......

Dragons awesome, Yoren awesome, Gendry yum. Emilia Clarke kicks ass.

Hi, there, you!

This:

I love it that Dany's shoulder-dragon, Drogon, is red. (He was black in the books). Also that while Viserion is nursing and Rhaegal is climbing up her leg, Drogon goes right up for the high ground, spreads his wings and hisses threat and attitude at the people standing there watching. No question who the top dog dragon is in that little group of triplets. Go, Drogon, get your bad self on, and you just a few hours old!

Hey!!! Hahaha yeah. I was looking at his teeth and thinking OW NURSING OUCH.

Um. So who was it who died early? Did I miss something? I was trying to watch in a loud breakroom at work.

For a moment there, with only a few moments left, I thought they´d leave de dragons hangin until next season. I know that wouldn't make sense, but the thought really scared me. But they did show it and I absolutely loved Emilia Clarke in that scene.

Now I'm going to pretend I didn't like the series, no really I don't. See, I also don't care about the fact that we have to wait a year for next season.... :tantrum:

people should lay off Roz, it's not the her fault she's there with little purpose. it's not that she's there for just sex on the screen. it's that' sex is needed for exposition's sake.

the implication is that people talk to whores because they don't think they have anyone to tell or so on...

i think it's not a bad choice when you consider all the exposition that needs to be told somehow for it to be told to whore after sex from this character or that makes more sense than having two main characters have a stupid conversation where they tell each other things they already know

Archived