A Wheel of Time

The Watcher

If you're already disinterested by the prologue, I would say don't start a series that lasts a dozen books. There are tons of recommendation threads on the forum. Start looking around in those.

I wasn't interested at all until about 60-70 pages in and then I hammered through the 4 books that were out at the time. I don't think you can judge a book by its prologue. Many people think the prologue of Prince of Nothing is the best part.

I wasn't interested at all until about 60-70 pages in and then I hammered through the 4 books that were out at the time. I don't think you can judge a book by its prologue. Many people think the prologue of Prince of Nothing is the best part.

Its not the best part, but that prologue hooked me instantly. I had heard nothing at all about it when in first picked it up at the bookstore. I liked the cover, then read the first few pages prologue. That was enough for me.

Well, I'm on page 1 of The Eye of the World. I've read so many things about this series... What I can gather is that most of the books are above average except 8, 9, and 10. What should I expect out of this serious overall? I am of course a huge Ice & Fire fan. How do the writing styles of Martin and Jordan differ? I'll figure all this out as I'm reading but I was a little curious before getting started. Thanks guys!

Well, I'm on page 1 of The Eye of the World. I've read so many things about this series... What I can gather is that most of the books are above average except 8, 9, and 10. What should I expect out of this serious overall? I am of course a huge Ice & Fire fan. How do the writing styles of Martin and Jordan differ? I'll figure all this out as I'm reading but I was a little curious before getting started. Thanks guys!

Why? Its not a camping trip, theres no preparation involved, it won't go better if you know to bring a sweater. Just read past page 1 and make up your own mind. ffs. :rolleyes:

Though, apparently, if you have a copy with a prologue called ravens, skip that.

Why? Its not a camping trip, theres no preparation involved, it won't go better if you know to bring a sweater. Just read past page 1 and make up your own mind. ffs. :rolleyes:

Though, apparently, if you have a copy with a prologue called ravens, skip that.

I just like to hear what others think, that's all. Sorry if I've offended you :rolleyes:

I'm not saying judge it only by its prologue. But a 12 book-series is a big commitment. And there's so many things out there to read to bother when the reader is already disinterested.

To me the problem with the middle books (6-10ish) of the WoT is that there's very little plot advancement in each one until the last 50 or so pages. Extremely detailed descriptions of setting and place, yes...getting the story moving, not so much.

And, unfortunately, I think that's what the problem with ADwD is too.

To me the problem with the middle books (6-10ish) of the WoT is that there's very little plot advancement in each one until the last 50 or so pages. Extremely detailed descriptions of setting and place, yes...getting the story moving, not so much.

And, unfortunately, I think that's what the problem with ADwD is too.

well except for ADWD leaves out the 50 pages

but yeah, that was the problem for me too and why I stopped after 8. By the time 9 came out, I just didn't care anymore.

Well it is kind of hard for me to really talk bad about WoT. This series pretty much made me fall in love with epic fantasy. I was probably in the seventh grade when i first started reading so WoT has been with me for a long time.(i am 29 now lol)

That being said yes the plot can drag on sometimes and at points in the series nothing gets done. Yea there is some bad in the series but i think the sheer amount of awesome outweighs it. WoT presents a large time investment due to the size of the novels but i think that it is well worth it. Since the series is winding down at least you will not have to wait years between installments. DO IT

The ending of 9 (Winter's Heart) is one of the coolest things in the series...

And then Crossroads. Oh God, Crossroads...

i feel like i may finish at some point, it would involve waiting till the whole thing is done, finding a really good synopsis, and then starting at 11.

Sanderson Tweeted that AMoL is about one-third done, and progress should be swift for a while as he's hitting a section he'd already worked on during the first stretch of TGS-ToM back in 2007-09. Probably too much to hope that we'll see the book before November 2012 though.

Sanderson sent a second Tweet confirming that AMoL should be submitted to Tor in November 2011. When it comes out is up to Harriet and Tor.

So in theory Tor could take twice as long on editing as they did on ToM and still get the book out in June 2012. Maybe even May. It just depends on if they think they'll get more sales if they hang back to November. Being the final book in the series, they'll also likely want a much bigger-than-normal marketing push.

I'm not saying judge it only by its prologue. But a 12 book-series is a big commitment. And there's so many things out there to read to bother when the reader is already disinterested.

Because disinterest in the prologue may not mean you won't like the books. I was not interested in the prologue and WoT has been one of my favorite series.

I've been reading WOT since the first book was released - I was in high school then, and this past weekend was my 20 year high school reunion.

I think it's mostly fantastic; I'd say the first 6 are the strongest, and "Crossroads of Twilight" is by far the weakest. However, it definitely picked up after COT, and I think Sanderson is doing an admirable job finishing it up.

I'd definitely recommend it to anybody who likes epic fantasy.

Starting a WOT thread on this forum is never a good idea...

ETA: this is going 500 replies at least :rolleyes:

I think the reason so many people are passionate in their criticisms of WoT is that it held so much promise. If you can ignore all the chaff, there's a great story there. But, damn, it's buried in so much distraction, that people get understandably impatient. IMHO, anyway.

I loved the prologue to PON. I wouldn't say it's the best part. I'm a fan, though, so not unbiased.

I just like to hear what others think, that's all. Sorry if I've offended you :rolleyes:

Don't mind Datepalm. She's got a nasty neighbor that sets her off. Don't take it personally.

Ignore him.

Even die hard fans have some troubles with the later books, so if you don't feel like chewing through tedium for a few thousand pages, then the series might not be for you. With Sanderson finishing the books it might be worth eating gruel, or you could simply try and pick up when he takes up the story.

I made it to book six, or book seven, and then it lost me. I'd say borrow the books from the library instead of ending up with an incomplete series should you find that you do not like it. As most of us do second readings, if you find that you have liked the series then you can go buy it.

I'd say read the first chapter of Eye of the World before giving up.

I love the Wheel of Time series. That said I gave up on it in disgust after book 10 then when I heard Sanderson was going to finish the series I re-read the entire thing and fell in love again.

You shouldn't compare it to GRRM though.It's a much lighter read and it follows pretty much every trope/cliche ever. LOL! But it manages to do that in a way that kept me hooked. There are huge flaws and... likeable characters that you'll probably get very annoyed with. But Mat Cauthon makes it all better. Oh I adore him. There's a hero that doesn't get his head chopped off in book one.

I guess the best thing about the Wheel of Time besides Matrim Cauthon is the world. It's an amazing world. I love the idea of a matriarchal world. He plays with that theme for the entire series and it's fun to sniff out how that has shaped the world and... well there are lots of interesting things. Since you don't have to wait years between books, I think you'll deal better with the HUGE flaws. I think there's enough good to balance out the bad.

Books one through four are GREAT. Book five seems to assume that the reader never read the first four books. So there's LOTS of exposition before it gets good. I think, looking back, the series needs the stagnant gloom of books 6 through 9 for what happens in book 12 to be as utterly wonderful as it is. Book 10... the problem is that the climax of book 10 happens at the end of book 9. So book 10 is SO BORING. It's like pulling teeth to read that book. It's kind of the same problem that Brienne's quest has in book four of A Song of Ice and Fire. We know where what she's looking for is already. So there's no tension.

There's really fun cultures and characters... great world building. And you can feel safe in his world sometimes which you really can't with GRRM's world.

Archived