A Wheel of Time

The Watcher

I'd definitely agree that the lack of deaths among main characters sucks a certain kind of tension out of the story.

The tension, imo, derives less from "will they survive this" and more from "how will this all work out or will some horrible twist fuck this all up" or the like.

• 4 weeks later...

Fuck it all, I'm rereading the whole damn thing in preparation of MoL. Been sitting here trying to figure out my next book, talking WoT on a different forum got me to thumbing through the Companion book, and I've decided to give this thing its proper treatment. New Spring though A Memory of Light.

Pray for Mojo.

I'd definitely agree that the lack of deaths among main characters sucks a certain kind of tension out of the story.

I think it was Rothfuss who said that dying is not the worst fate a character can experience.

I'm not saying that WoT shouldn't up it's mortality rate, but there are worse things that can happen before the end. Like being hanged, losing an eye, having dead men's memories trying to take over, losing your family to a Trolloc pot. Light stuff.

My cats breath smells like cat food.

Nice, was hoping some of you book nerds were Simpsons nerds too.

About done with New Spring now, and I'd forgotten how cool that story was. The man is long-winded as all get-out, but damned if I wouldn't read his retelling of the phone book.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering, I see TOR is re-issuing the series in trade paperback, one volume per month as of May.

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Reborn-Wheel-Time/dp/0765334356/ref=sr_1_36?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327055960&sr=1-36

Does anyone know what cover art these will be getting? Maybe the much better cover art from the e-books?

Just wondering, I see TOR is re-issuing the series in trade paperback, one volume per month as of May.

http://www.amazon.co...7055960&sr=1-36

Does anyone know what cover art these will be getting? Maybe the much better cover art from the e-books?

I can gaurantee that they'll be getting the eBook covers, especially with Sweet's passing and the final volume likely having to use a different artist anyways.

I'm on the fourth book right now and slogging through it. Let me just say this: I'm already f**king tired of the Aiel. I know, I'm pretty fokked for the rest of the series. The Aiel are boring as hell.

(Look, not every post is going to be a gem....just wanted to share that.)

I'm on the fourth book right now and slogging through it. Let me just say this: I'm already f**king tired of the Aiel. I know, I'm pretty fokked for the rest of the series. The Aiel are boring as hell.

You haven't seen nothing yet. Wait till you get to the Aes Sedai politics in the later books...

It's official: the whole series to be re-released with the eBook cover art on it.

http://www.tor.com/b...ed-with-new-art

Now if only they'd sell (or make the pdfs available) for those covers to replace all my Sweet covers, I'd be happy.

Though I hate to say it, I hope they don't change the cover style for the last book. I'd like to have my collection look like it all belongs in the same series, unlike ASOIAF....

Now if only they'd sell (or make the pdfs available) for those covers to replace all my Sweet covers, I'd be happy.

Though I hate to say it, I hope they don't change the cover style for the last book. I'd like to have my collection look like it all belongs in the same series, unlike ASOIAF....

Too late. Michael Whelan is doing the final cover (since Sweet died before getting properly started on it), so my guess is the reason they are re-releasing now is so that the final cover will look like the re-released new EBook Cover art.

Long story short, the final book cover won't match your existing sweet covers.

Too late. Michael Whelan is doing the final cover (since Sweet died before getting properly started on it), so my guess is the reason they are re-releasing now is so that the final cover will look like the re-released new EBook Cover art.

Long story short, the final book cover won't match your existing sweet covers.

I'm sure Whelan can reach into his jars of paint and give us fans visual closure with uneven composition, oddly disjointed proportions, and a scene that doesn't appear in the book!

Come on, Whelan! Get your Sweet on!

:leaving:

The indefinite article "A" in this thread's title bugs the crap out of me.

It's "a" wheel of time. Not the beginning, nor the ending...

(Is that two snark posts in a row? Ok, time to get back to work....)

:leaving: (really)

Archived