Huge Blast in Oslo

Not to be all cavalier over people dying, but it doesn't look like anywhere close to 20 people in either of those shots, so there's that at least. In the ground-level shot there are six blurs, and I make it to be no more than about 7-8 people in the overhead shot.

Groups do this all the time for attacks they had nothing to do with.

The building seems like something an Islamic terror group would do.. the camp though, that part seems weird to me. Why a secluded camp? Why not run amok in a city center? That makes it seem politically motivated to me, something domestic. Who knows.

Police sources have reported at least 10 dead at Utøya.

http://www.nettavisen.no/nyheter/article3196145.ece

Given the mount of time they have been in control of the island, lets hope this is more accurate than the earlier 'eye witness' report. In addition to the confirmed fatalities, several are severely wounded, and the Red Cross are asking for donations of Type O blood.

Bringing this up already?

Calm down, i'm just curious how difficult this might have been to organize. (I think the connection between gun availability and violence isn't 1=1 anyway. Though, really, who does?)

I hope the rest of our Oslo-based crew are also unharmed.

I'm fine. My job is not very close to the centre, and I didn't even hear the explosion.

Of course this incident is tragic and dramatic -- especially because we all like to think of Norway as a place where nothing bad ever happens -- but I hope the media doesn't blow it all out of proportion and create mass paranoia. So far, it looks like only about 20 people died, and that a single person may have been behind both attacks. In the grand scheme of things, that's not a lot in a city of more than half a million inhabitants. I don't fear similar attacks in the future, but I do fear about how average Norwegians will react. The way the attacks are presented in the local newspapers scares me a lot more than the attacks by themselves.

So the latest is that the police don't think this is related to international terrorism, but rather a 'local variant'. The man apprehended at Utøya, who apparently is a 'known person' to the police, have also been observed at the bomb site a couple of minutes before the blast.

I'm not sure if this 'local variant' are supposed to be a local islamist group or a local right wing group.

Good god.

Does Norway have a lot of domestic terrorist groups? Because the attack on the island sounds more like something that would be done by a domestic group rather than an international one like al-Qaeda.

The double attack is AQ's specialty. Usually it's two of the same type of attack, but maybe they switched it up.

Archived