Huge Blast in Oslo

I hope everyone is safe and I hope that the reported numbers are overblown.

84 (Utøya) + 7 (Blast) are confirmed by the police. There are more kids missing at Utøya so they expect the death toll to rise. They are bringing in divers and remote controlled submarines to search the waters.

Okay, please excuse my ignorance, but let's say he is a model prisoner (or detainee). He follows all rules to a T and is polite and respectful while in custody. He is let out after his sentence is up?

What kind of proof is needed that he has the potential to re-offend? Wouldn't the original crime be horrific enough?

(Again, sorry for my ignorance. I understand there's no real precedent here.)

ETA: Rereading my post, I sound like Ser Scot with all my questions. Whoops.

The nature of the original crime is an important factor in that assessment, you're right about that. But if it's enough to keep him detained for more than 21 years, I really can't say.

This is absolutely horrible. Shooting unarmed, panicked children? Can't he get charged with 91 separate murder charges or anything?

That's what I was thinking (and hoping). That's a maximum of 21 years per murder, plus the terrorism charges of an additional 21 years.

Although I'm unclear if one can be charged that way in Norway.

Not in Norway, no.

That makes no sense at all. If you commit multiple crimes of a similar nature in a short time frame it only counts as one crime? How far apart would they need to be to count as separate incidents?

I find it hard to believe he can't be charged with multiple counts.

He was shot, just not fatally wounded.

The shooter was not shot himself. Exactly how the police managed to apprehend him without shooting him is unclear, but apparently this is something the anti-terror police have been trained to do.

That makes no sense at all. If you commit multiple crimes of a similar nature in a short time frame it only counts as one crime? How far apart would they need to be to count as separate incidents?

He'll be charged with multuple counts, but during sentencing, the sentences are not added up.

Even if the maximum punishment in Norway are 21 years. They have an option to keep people contained afterwards. So if he is punished to 21 years of "containment" he will never get out of prison.

My thoughts are going to the victims and their families, and im praying that the injuried victims in the hospitals will survive. I live on the west-coast in Norway, but I felt as it was an attack on our whole community.

You´re missing the point of maximum lenght of sentence. It doesn´t matter how many counts he´s charged with.

You´re missing the point of maximum lenght of sentence. It doesn´t matter how many counts he´s charged with.

Not exactly. In the US, you can be charged with the maximum length of sentences, but each count is cumulative.

There is cumulative sentencing in Norway. Say you commit three thefts, you'll get a longer sentence than if you just committed one. But the absolute maximum sentence is 21 years. So even if you murder 92 people, you can't be sentenced to more than 21 years, eather in prison or preventive detention. After the 21 years of preventive detention, 5 years at a time can be added until the person is deemed fit to rejoin society. I doubt this guy will ever be released. He'll either be imprisoned until he dies of old age, or until some of his prisonmates decide to take matters into their own hands.

Not exactly. In the US, you can be charged with the maximum length of sentences, but each count is cumulative.

Yup. And that's how you occasionally end up with people with 130 year prison sentences.

I do have many, many issues with our justice system. But I am glad that we do have the ability to "lock 'em up and throw away the key" for really serious crimes. The sort of person who could do this deserves to be locked away in a small dark room with no hope, and no possibility of hope, of ever being free.

Why is there a max sentence of 21 years? Obviously, there are crimes that seem to demand a harsher penalty.

People change?

The Norwegians decided 21 years should be enough, as is their prerogative.

Why is there a max sentence of 21 years? Obviously, there are crimes that seem to demand a harsher penalty.

Obviously not*, otherwise the max sentence wouldn't be 21 years.

*In a revision to the penal code, the max sentence for 'grave acts of terrorsim' will be 30 years, but this is not enacted yet.

If norwegian law works as swedish law the sentence is "X years or indefinite". That is, it can be renewed by a judge if it is felt neccessary. Usually people are let out after a decade or two, but there are exceptions. The sentence is more "Until we think you're no danger to anyone anymore" rather than anything else.

Archived