Huge Blast in Oslo

Not to be all cavalier over people dying, but it doesn't look like anywhere close to 20 people in either of those shots, so there's that at least. In the ground-level shot there are six blurs, and I make it to be no more than about 7-8 people in the overhead shot.

Plus 3 or 4 in the water. So it's plausible.

Not to be ghoulish, but this an extremely effective attack by one gunman, even if he had a rifle. I suspect the shooter has had extensive training, or there was more than one shooter.

I've heard reports that the shooter has an 'eastern' accent. It there an eastern Norwegian accent?

This was outside government offices, during summer the workday ends at 15:00, although some my have stayed late, far more were away on vacation.

That's interesting. It's almost like the bombers were trying to minimize the number of deaths, but the shooter certainly wasn't. Unless the bombers were/are incompetents?

Not to be ghoulish, but this an extremely effective attack by one gunman, even if he had a rifle. I suspect the shooter has had extensive training, or there was more than one shooter.

I've heard reports that the shooter has an 'eastern' accent. It there an eastern Norwegian accent?

Eastern Norwegian accent = from the southeast of Norway.

The body count so far from NRK is 17, both from the bomb and the shooting.

Yeah, the Eastern Norwegian accent is the closest you'll get to a Norwegian equivalent of BBC English (or Midwestern American English?). This means he's probably from Oslo or nearby.

Part of the efficiency of the attack could be due to the fact that he lured young kids (15-20 year olds) to come to him while disguised as a police officer. That would make them quite easy (and unsuspecting targets).

The Minister of Justice just confirmed that the arrested man was Norwegian. This combined with the fact that one of the targets were a youth camp for the labour movement, does point towards some right-wing group, rather than AQ.

Well, if this indeed is our Oklahoma moment, colour me surprised.

I have a hard time believing our local nazis could chew gum and fart at the same time, and then pulling off something like this?

Is it confirmed that the attack was done by a "right-wing" groupe? I would not be suprised. Fascism is on the rise, everywhere in Europe, so yeah.

No, all that is confirmed that the arrested man was a 32 year old 'ethnically' Norwegian. At this moment the police won't/can't confirm what his political leanings were.

Here's the guy who has been arrested.

If he's the killer, that probably put's any AQ connection in serious doubt.

So... lonewolf, or part of some domestic terrorist group? If he's a lonewolf, he's pretty resourceful and organized. Make a huge bomb, transport it to the city center without getting caught, set it off, then travel to a remote(?) island, bamboozle a bunch of kids, then gun them down.

unconfirmed twitter account

https://twitter.com/#!/AndersBBreivik

sounds like the Norwegian Jared Loughner

I think Tim McVeigh might be closer.

The shooter has described himself as a conservative, a Christian, a patriot, antiabortion, pro Israel, hater of Islam.

I expect the populist left to enjoy this. It is ironic, but I find it rather tasteless. There are people dead, most of them teenagers.

This is so surreal. What a fucking coward. Not sure if I want to link this, but it is a picture taken from a helicopter showing the arrested person among the carnage he caused at Utøya. It's blurry and from a distance, but still quite graphic. Picture.. Watch at your own risk. And with this being but a part of the picture, I can only think the death toll will be at least double that was previously reported.

Since his name was released, pro death penalty groups have been flourishing on facebook. The amount of vitriol there is scary, and with his home address and phone number posted online I almost feel glad that him being arrested is keeping him from the lynch mob. Still, the support groups for the victims, and the positive collective mindset of getting through it together seem to be by far in the majority. I only know of people who were at Utøya, friends of friends, a friends ex, people in the community, but it's still horrendous.

This has been tweeted a bit;

G.W. Bush, 9/11: "We're gonna hunt you down."

Stoltenberg, 22/7: "We will retaliate with more democracy". I'm proud to be Norwegian.

Feels somewhat uncomfortable to compete in how to cope with terror, but I can stand behind that.

I remember when Oklahoma City happened, there was so much hurt and disbelief that one of our own could do that. All those children when dead, all of that carnage, all from a cowardice American. My heart goes out to every Norwegian today (with the exception of Anders Breivik), as you now have to morn your dead and deal with those same feelings. It's just terrible.

Archived