[ADWD SPOILERS] Dany's prophecy from Mirri regarding Drogo and her apparent fertility

NexivRed

"She was bleeding, but it was only woman's blood. The moon is still a crescent, though. How can that be? She tried to remember the last time she had bled. The last full moon? The one before? The one before that? No, it cannot have been so long as that... "

"...it seemed to her that the cramping had grown worse...she saw fresh blood on her thighs. The ragged hem of her undertunic was stained with it. The sight of so much red frightened her. Moon blood, it's only my moon blood, but she did not remember ever having such a heavy flow. Could it be the water?..."

I have actually been thinking about this for a while, but in ADWD Danny gets her moonsblood again... (for the first in a long time) which is normal after pregnancy to skip it for a few months(how long WAS it actually between miscarriage and ADWD??)... i took this to indicate that she is fertile and could have kids...Now, I am not sure if I am 100% correct (but when can we ever be with Tricksy Martin!!) but I don't think, and never have, that Dany is barren...

Edit: Sorry! Didnt read the last page of the thread before i posted!

The actual text:

If we are looking at Drogo having "returned" in the form of a semi-domesticated Drogon, it can't have happened yet because Dany has not yet borne a living child. Also, the "mountains blow in the wind like leaves" requirement does not seem to me to be fulfilled by the burning of the pyramids of Meereen.

I alwasy thought ' when your womb quickens and you bear a living child' to mean she simply conceives the child... but not necessarily carries it all the way to child birth... this could indicate (if it was a miscarriage @ the end of aDwD -- which I think was just a period..) that perhaps Drogo has returned in Drogon (i like that)

I have actually been thinking about this for a while, but in ADWD Danny gets her moonsblood again... (for the first in a long time) which is normal after pregnancy to skip it for a few months(how long WAS it actually between miscarriage and ADWD??)... i took this to indicate that she is fertile and could have kids...Now, I am not sure if I am 100% correct (but when can we ever be with Tricksy Martin!!) but I don't think, and never have, that Dany is barren...

Edit: Sorry! Didnt read the last page of the thread before i posted!

Um, not if it were less than 12 weeks into the pregnancy (maybe at 11-12 weeks, you would, but at 4 weeks? nah, it'd just be like a period). Further along, definitely.

But Dany wasn't sleeping with anybody but Daario a few months ago. If it's Hizzie's baby, then it's a VERY early miscarriage.

I alwasy thought ' when your womb quickens and you bear a living child' to mean she simply conceives the child... but not necessarily carries it all the way to child birth... this could indicate (if it was a miscarriage @ the end of aDwD -- which I think was just a period..) that perhaps Drogo has returned in Drogon (i like that)

The problem with that, is that you cannot "bear a living child" unless you give birth to a living child. To bear a child is to give birth. You haven't borne a child until it's been born. So no matter how many pregnancies or miscarriages Danaerys has, until she actually has a baby that's alive and kicking, she won't have borne a living child.

I like the idea of Drogo "being as he was," when Danaerys has a baby, as in, that baby will be Drogo reborn. But I think Mirri Muz Dur had the perfect opportunity to ruin Dany's womb when she delivered Rhaego, and I'm sure she took it. I took her "when your womb quickens and you bear a living child," to be gloating, as in, "and guess what else I did to you?"

The problem with that, is that you cannot "bear a living child" unless you give birth to a living child. To bear a child is to give birth. You haven't borne a child until it's been born. So no matter how many pregnancies or miscarriages Danaerys has, until she actually has a baby that's alive and kicking, she won't have borne a living child.

I like the idea of Drogo "being as he was," when Danaerys has a baby, as in, that baby will be Drogo reborn. But I think Mirri Muz Dur had the perfect opportunity to ruin Dany's womb when she delivered Rhaego, and I'm sure she took it. I took her "when your womb quickens and you bear a living child," to be gloating, as in, "and guess what else I did to you?"

She did have a child - we don't know if Rhaego was alive or not (MMD claims he was a hideous dragon-like creature, but I don't really trust her). Dany thinks Ser Jorah slew him (bc he obviously was inhuman due to bloodmagic). So...technically Dany has definitely gone through childbirth, possibly a live birth.

For everyone saying its obviously not a prophecy.. You guys do realise that making a prophecy not seem like a prophesy would be inline with the authors style? Not that this means it is a prophecy but the fact that on the surface it seems like she is telling Danny "Never" in a long winded way, doesn't make it impossible or even unlikely that her words were prophetic.

Saying that it cannot be prophetic because Mirri herself is not a prophet is ridiculous. I don't think stags are prophets either yet the story pretty much starts with a direwolf an a stag dead, with the clear implication being that House Stark and Baratheon were going to cause some serious problems for each other.

I like the line of thought that she will die in childbirth and be with Drogo in the afterlife. Her child being drogo would be weird cos then she would of done some nasty things to her baby in his previous life. It is often mentioned that she wishes to ride with drogo amongst the stars, so its not that unlikely that this will happen.

Drogos spirit entering Drogon is also very possible, not sure I like this one though its a little too.. ordinary(for the genre).

if Rob Strong get's found out to be a monstrosity perhaps he will be hung, perhaps on a windy day. Swinging like leaf on a tree. ;) That's a total guess based on nothing though and pretty unlikely. If it is a prophecy, it says mountains and leaves so we gotta assume there will be more than one.. Of course there's no reason Qyburn can't make more, he just needs to find the right parts.

I did not care at all for Khal Drogo and would not like him to return in any form. Drogo was a bad guy. Remember, Dany had to put some sex moves on him in order to get him to even talk to her instead of raping her, so he really was not a good guy, was he? Also, he promissed to invade Westros, kill the men, enslave the children and rape the women. That promise he made to Dany made her very HAPPY. So, nothing good will come from Drogo or some Damn dragon named after him either. Dany, unfortunately will come to westeros with a dragon and an army atleast. I just hope she gets her head on straight and learns a few things about Westeros and her family past before she does.

For everyone saying its obviously not a prophecy.. You guys do realise that making a prophecy not seem like a prophesy would be inline with the authors style? Not that this means it is a prophecy but the fact that on the surface it seems like she is telling Danny "Never" in a long winded way, doesn't make it impossible or even unlikely that her words were prophetic.

Saying that it cannot be prophetic because Mirri herself is not a prophet is ridiculous. I don't think stags are prophets either yet the story pretty much starts with a direwolf an a stag dead, with the clear implication being that House Stark and Baratheon were going to cause some serious problems for each other.

I like the line of thought that she will die in childbirth and be with Drogo in the afterlife. Her child being drogo would be weird cos then she would of done some nasty things to her baby in his previous life. It is often mentioned that she wishes to ride with drogo amongst the stars, so its not that unlikely that this will happen.

Drogos spirit entering Drogon is also very possible, not sure I like this one though its a little too.. ordinary(for the genre).

if Rob Strong get's found out to be a monstrosity perhaps he will be hung, perhaps on a windy day. Swinging like leaf on a tree. ;) That's a total guess based on nothing though and pretty unlikely. If it is a prophecy, it says mountains and leaves so we gotta assume there will be more than one.. Of course there's no reason Qyburn can't make more, he just needs to find the right parts.

I have only one problem with Drogo being Drogon, and that is that if that's true, Drogo's certainly not "as he was." He wasn't a dragon, he was a man. He wasn't Danaerys' child, he was her husband. And Rago being Drogo is right out--Danaerys didn't ask when she'd meet another guy like Drogo, she asked when Drogo would be "as he was."

Danaerys dying in childbirth to rejoin Drogo also doesn't make him "as he was," but it might actually be the same thing, to Danaerys.

That said, I don't think the blood is her period at all. I think she's just telling herself that because she's terrified that it's the pale mare. I think it is the pale mare, because another prophecy did say, "first comes the pale mare." She has it, and she'll live through it.

Why do you all care if Dany's fertile or not? How could that possibly affect ASOIAF at this point in time?

So, let's just go with the flow, she gets pregant, child gets born. So now what? A baby? What harm/affect could a baby possibly do to win/change Westeros?

You should realize that the story is about Dany, Jon, Bran, Tyrion and the rest, not about a baby that has not even been conceived.....

I think many people are thinking "Dany can't be queen if she can't have an heir!" sort of thing. Which is silly, because Elizabeth I of England had no heirs, and had a very long, successful rein.

I also think that MMD's words are coming true - mountains blowing in the wind=pyramids in Astapor and Mereen; Sun (Quentyn aka Sun's son) rose in the West and set in the East; seas dry up=Dothraki sea dries up during Winter. Then suddenly Dany has Drogo under control? (She calls for him, and he comes)

Maybe GRRM is just fucking with us, but I thought it was significant, at least. Otherwise, why add those details in a 1500 (or whatever) book?

I think Drogo is NOT coming back in any form.

Whatever magic Dany worked (blood and fire?) to hatch the dragon eggs was just a blood sacrifice payment for life. Not a 'transfer' of spirit or life force. By assuming its transfer of spirit then we should also consider that MMD is in one of the dragons too... and also that Drogo had the spirit of his own horse in him after MMD did her spell. It still doesnt make sense since Drogo and rhaego were both dead when Danny did her spell. So it couldnt be a transfer of anything. So its a blood offering and huge fire to pay for giving the dragons life. And Dany being in the fire also added spice to the magic.

I also dont see how one can derive from MMDs words that Dany will die in childbirth. There is no hint whatsoever. I think its MMD who deliberately did not treat Drogos scratch properly, knew the spell would not work as Dany intended (since when is a horse equitable payment for a human life??), and also murdered Dany's child (a dragon) by not doing what was needed, and likely ruined her womb. MMD is a hateful woman who was trying to hurt Dany with the only way she had left to her at that time and that was to have Danny know that it was MMD who did the damage so she would never forget. Like terrorists claiming responsibility for an act of terrorism. And that is why we see Dany reciting her words so often. Her words are hurting her. Look at Tyrion always reciting Tywins words about 'where do whores go?'. Similar thing.

Right now it could be that Danny is having the bloody flux or just a bad case of the runs (non gut friendly green berries and unclean water) along with her moon blood. But she is also half delirious and so we cant rightly know what is really happening. We simply need more information.

GRRM is a tricky guy though...

I think many people are thinking "Dany can't be queen if she can't have an heir!" sort of thing. Which is silly, because Elizabeth I of England had no heirs, and had a very long, successful rein.

Westeros isn't England and Daenerys isn't Elizabeth. She's never even been to Westeros, she has no allies there, her most obvious card in making them is gone without any promise of sons or daughters. And without any family she has no one to name heir, at all. Supporting putting her in power is only going to cause another war down the line.

• 1 year later...

I feel like I have to believe that this is really a prophecy, and that in some way it will come true. I've already heard a theory that says Quentyn is the sun that rose in the west and set in the east. A sea that we know can go dry is obviously the Dothraki Sea; that seems improbable that a grassy plane that large will suddenly dry, but it's still more than possible. Obviously, as people have stated here, the mountain is Gregor/Robert Strong, which makes a lot of sense. Him falling out of the moon door is quite a nice touch. The Drogo-coming-back part is, I agree, some sort of way to say Dany will die, but if the prophect is indeed true, she'll die at childbirth.

Archived