October is in the Chair: October 2011 Reads

Larry.

I'd highly recommend Germline if you're up for something dark and a little disturbing... well God's War is that too. Both are excellent.

Have you read Embedded? If so, how do they compare? Very similar premise.

Quite obviously, I'll second God's War. ;)

I assumed you would!

Still need to get to Up Against It myself sometime.

And this one sounds quite similar to Leviathan Wakes. If I had to pick yesterday, this would probably have been the choice.

After that will be one of these sci-fi books, but I'm not sure which:

Up Against It by MJ Locke

Huh. I just searched the sixty feeds on my reader and confirmed that this is the first time that I have heard of this book. For a release from Tor (who are very active in the SFF community) that has received solid blurbage and a starred review from PW, this is surprising. Since I just read Leviathan Wakes a few weeks back, I might just check and see if the library has it.

Quite obviously, I'll second God's War. ;)

Still need to get to Up Against It myself sometime.

Bought God's War today, based on what you and a few others were saying. Looking forward to it :)

Currently reading Colson Whitehead's Zone One. I don't care much for zombies, but this story is helping me overcome that antipathy. I wonder who'll be adventurous enough to nominate it for genre awards like the Hugo.

Huh. I just searched the sixty feeds on my reader and confirmed that this is the first time that I have heard of this book. For a release from Tor (who are very active in the SFF community) that has received solid blurbage and a starred review from PW, this is surprising. Since I just read Leviathan Wakes a few weeks back, I might just check and see if the library has it.

It had a ton of positive reviews during the first 3-4 months of the year on the 25 or so blogs on my reader, but I haven't seen any new reviews lately. How long do you have your reader save posts? Mine's default was a month, and that's where I leave most of my feeds, so I can't easily dig up any of those reviews either.

It had a ton of positive reviews during the first 3-4 months of the year on the 25 or so blogs on my reader, but I haven't seen any new reviews lately. How long do you have your reader save posts? Mine's default was a month, and that's where I leave most of my feeds, so I can't easily dig up any of those reviews either.

Mine is supposed to save the last two hundred articles, but I just checked my feeds and it is obvious that's not actually happening. I think the latest articles I have in my reader are dated back to August, which would explain why nothing came up. It is a new SF release, so there is a pretty good chance that I just blanked it back when it was first hitting the blogs.

---

That said, I should probably get around to using this thread for its intended purpose.

What I have read this month:

The Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern - Excellent. Had I not read The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht, this book would have easily topped the list as the best book/debut of the year. Instead it has to settle for second place.

Last Dragon, J.M. McDermott - Not bad... just disappointing. The enticing prose of the beginning chapter does not linger past the opening and the equally enticing hints of epic feats turned to legends with the passing time seem to fade into nothing more than a tease. I was led to believe that the non-chronological format of the book would provide either a challenge or confusion, but I had no issue with it beyond the feeling that great swathes of story were missing. Of course, great swathes of the story were missing and the songs hinted at in the beginning were, unless the details lost in those missing parts of the story, the exaggeration of reality--the stretching of tales to make them taller, more grand than the rather depressing truth of the matter. Unfortunately, I often found myself interested in the moments we missed than the moments we see. I would like to see more work in the setting though, because it seems like an interesting enough world.

The Black Prism, Brent Weeks - I was surprised to discover that I rather liked this book, though it is heavily flawed and I figured I would hate it. I did not like it for the world, which was detailed with a heavy hand and random, rambling infodumps interspersed wherever one might enjoy an action scene or conversation. It wasn't because of the magic system, which was left with just enough scant detail to ensure that just about anything could be done with it. No, it was neither of those things. Rather, I liked the book because our cast of primary characters is mostly composed of assholes and murderers and though there are moments when Weeks attempts to make them more sympathetic, to soften their images, it doesn't really take hold... usually because that behavior boils back up to the surface at its earliest convenience.

What I stopped reading this month:

Deathless, Cat Valente - There is nothing wrong with the book, but interest in the book failed to take root. I read two-thirds of the book and could have kept reading, but I just didn't want to. I had no desire to pick the book up again and I just don't care to see how it ends.

What I am reading now:

The Gone-Away World, Nick Harkaway - I started rereading this last month, but I was sidetracked by a host of new books coming in from the library. I sat it aside for a while, but picked it back up after deciding not to bother continuing on with Deathless. This is my third time through and I am enjoying it just as much, if not more, than the previous two reads.

Apologies, I can't seem to post links today :(

I finished Germline by T.C. McCarthy.

I'm half-way through God's War by Kameron Hurley. Original and enjoyable so far.

What'd you think of Germline?\

I finished Sword of Fire and Sea by Erin Hoffman over the weekend and started The Restoration Game by Ken MacLeod.

Hoffman's novel has a great voice and a tremendous setting, but there were parts that seemed... missing? Almost though it had been abridged. I still liked it, but can't go beyond that due to the choppiness (especially early on).

Dragons Path by Daniel Abraham. Hmmm. Not bad but a bit of a disapointment after The Long Price which was very good. Felt a little lightweight by comparison and not entirely believable. Also I'm wondering if I'm not also going off epic fantasy in general.(ASOIAF excepted, I still seem to love that).

Starting The Left Hand Of Darkness by LeGuin and It's Only A Movie by Mark Kermode.

Just finished The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino. Quite entertaining and despite its 18th-century setting, it feels modern in many ways.

Thinking I'll tackle If On a Winter's Night a Traveler. Has anyone else read this?

Still working through The Magicians. Over halfway done and not entirely sure what the point or the plot is, but I've enjoyed it thus far.

Next up is Galileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson. Have no clue what that one is even about, I forget why I put it on hold, but I just got the email saying it's available so I guess I am reading it!

Archived