October is in the Chair: October 2011 Reads

Larry.

Lessee....I listened to On Her Majesty's Secret Service and You Only Live Twice. Then started Luck in the Shadows -- but it seemed so simpleminded, and had such a bad narrator, that I gave up for now. Now I've just started Sheepfarmer's Daughter. Much better narrator, story seems pleasant enough for now.

Weird, I was just going to start a topic asking about The Sparrow. Saw it in the store and the back blurb gave me a leibowitz/Long Sun vibe. So, worth reading?

I liked it. I found the sequel profoundly unsatisfying, but Sparrow was right up my alley. Decent science fiction wrapped around some really chewy theological issues.

I have a growing "currently reading" pile, obviously dwarfed by the "to read" one.

This at the moment:

- Midnight Tides

- This River Awakens

- The Crying of Lot 49

- The Third Reich

- A Dream of Wessex

- Before They Are Hanged

- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

And now:

- The Cold Commands

Question: wasn't The Cold Commands supposed to have a map?

Finally finished my re-read of ASoIaF and ADWD. I didn't think that I would need the re-read at first, but my reading of ADWD was definitely better for it. I loved ADWD and rank it only behind ASoS in the series.

I also finished

Dispatching Baudelaire by Ken Bruen - 6/10

Lucky Wonder Boy by D.B. Weiss - 6/10

Now reading:

Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

The Wolves of Fairmount Park by Dennis Tafoya

Finished Warbreaker which was a good entertaining read. Starting The Devil You Know by Mike Carey and also about 60 pages in to Boneshaker by Cherie Priest. Both of them are good so far, but I can't seem to put down The Devil You Know.

Finished The Graveyard Book and thought it was quite excellent. Managed to keep me engaged for a couple hours at a time which has become harder and harder lately. Thought the writing was beautiful, the plotting was enjoyable, the characters were great, and I liked the tone--thought it was a very nice balance about the bittersweet nature of life.

Just got The Magicians from the library (still loving the Kindle-lending!), will be working through that. Looking forward to it, although I have no idea what to expect.

Just got The Magicians from the library (still loving the Kindle-lending!), will be working through that. Looking forward to it, although I have no idea what to expect.

Expect emo-whining and an author who thinks subverting tropes is something new.

Or enjoy the hell out of it, which most people who are not me seem to.

Weird, I was just going to start a topic asking about The Sparrow. Saw it in the store and the back blurb gave me a leibowitz/Long Sun vibe. So, worth reading?

Definitely. Very thinky book, but lots of humor and very strong characterization as well. Not sure what to make of it, in a way, since I might be too much of an atheist to even be willing to consider the questions she brings up, but then that collapses the whole story into a set of neat ironies which I find less interesting than letting it stay up in the air, if that makes any sense. Anyway, definitely worth reading.

I am trying hard not to give up on Blackdog. But after a great start it is dragging. I love the blackdog aspect. But hating other PoV's. Give it another lunch break, if I still not enjoying, I will go to book two of the Braided Path, while waiting for Snuff to hit the library.

Finished Julie Otsuka's National Book Award-nominated The Buddha in the Attic this weekend. Her use of plural 1st person narratives to tell the collective stories of Japanese women from the time they are practically sold to husbands in California in the early 20th century to their forced departure to the internment camps is captivating. Certainly a worthy book for award consideration. Reading another National Book Award nominee, Jesmyn Ward's Salvage the Bones. Too early to tell if the narrative is great, but it is promising after the first 30 or so e-pages. Will be reading and reviewing all of the fiction nominees over the next few weeks (already reviewed Téa Obreht's The Tiger's Wife when it came out in March).

I am trying hard not to give up on Blackdog.  But after a great start it is dragging.  I love the blackdog aspect.  But hating other PoV's.  Give it another lunch break, if I still not enjoying, I will go to book two of the Braided Path, while waiting for Snuff to hit the library.

I'm having a similar problem with Blackdog.Finished The Devil You Know. Loved it, reading the next book as soon as I can get it.

Now starting the Warriors anthology. I skipped to the end in order to read "The Mystery Knight" first.

I did that too. There are some good ones amongst the other stories. Though I have to say I hadn't read anything by the other authors before.

Archived