October is in the Chair: October 2011 Reads

Larry.

I got very bored with The Sheepfarmer's Daughter, so I read the first three volumes of the Doctrine of the Labyrinth series by Monette (Melusine, The Virtu, the Mirador). Enjoyed them quite a lot, then got pissed off because her fourth book completely dumps the setup for the first three and takes the two main characters into a new, steampunkish country. Blech. So now I'm giving Paksenarrion another try, but I'm still not thrilled with it. We Shall See.

Finished The Cold Commands by Morgan the other day. Neither under nor overwhelmed, I dunno. Might have to give it another turn.

After that, was about a 1/3 into The Sacred Band by Durham only to drop it like a liquid deuce once I'd gotten my copy of Cook's Reap the East Wind. Economy of prose? Hah. The man's a miser, a come again Scrooge, but my imagination just runs wild with his stuff. So, immensely enjoying my return to the Dread Empire.

My October reads so far:

Use of Weapons - Iain Banks. Not my favorite Culture novel. I even found it boring in parts. Guess I wasn't really in the mood for it.

A Fine and Private Place - Peter Beagle. A quiet, contemplative novel. I enjoyed it, but it could have done with a bit more plot.

Lovecraft's short fiction. Great but also heavy-going. I enjoy reading Lovecraft's tales, but only in small quantities.

The Folding Knife - K J Parker. Another excellent stand-alone. Every time I read one of Parker's novels, I remind myself I should try this author more often.

The Catcher in the Rye - J D Salinger. A reread actually. Liked it a lot more this time around.

A Night in the Lonesome October - Roger Zelazny. Excellent mash-up of classic horror icons. Very fun to read.

Gateway - Frederik Pohl. Great novel. Really succeeds in depicting the loneliness and vastness of space.

I'm now reading Rendezvous with Rama.

The Catcher in the Rye - J D Salinger. A reread actually. Liked it a lot more this time around.

i reread catcher in the rye once a year, usually during the summer. i find i identify less and less with holden as the years go on but he sure does make me laugh. one of my all time favorites. :thumbsup:

I went a little crazy this weekend/week while traveling for work.

I had a busy weekend/week of reading while traveling for work...

Finished:

Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch, Traitor's Daughter by Paula Brandon, Shadow Prowler by Alexey Pehov, and Shadow Ops: Control Point by Myke Cole

In the midst of:

Miserere by Teresa Frohock and Theft of Swords by Michael Sullivan

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed C.S. Friedman's Feast of Souls. My expectation was low as I was neutral about the Coldfire Trilogy. I have a thing against the undead such as vampires and zombies. I just don't like them at all and any story with them in, no matter how good the plot is, I can't enjoy them. Gerald Tarrant was vampire all but in name and that really killed my enthusiasm for the Coldfire books. The magic in Feast of Souls is vampiric in nature but the people are living blood and flesh.

I liked the moral ambiguity of the magic in Feast of Souls. The worldbuilding was thin so far, but excellent plot and characters.

I'm looking forward to the sequel, Wings of Wrath.

I have a few to catch up on.

First is Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. I liked it, though not as much as everyone else seemed to. The story just felt a little unpolished. On the other hand, Lawrence did a good job of making the main character compelling when it could easily have backfired. I do plan to read the next book to find out what happens.

Then I read A Different Kingdom, one of Paul Kearney's earlier books. I found it to be quite a good portal fantasy book set in Ireland. I was a little surprised that the characterization was actually a little stronger than in Kearney's later stuff, but then it's not nearly as epic either. I would definitely recommend it if you're a Kearney fan.

Was feeling a little burned out by this point so I took a break from reading for a few days before getting into The Light Fantastic. The second Discworld book was exactly what I needed. Once I get through the third book, I'll be caught up through Small Gods.

And yesterday afternoon I finished Infidel by Kameron Hurley. This was the sequel to God's War released earlier this year and was excellent. This bug-fi/bugpunk series dark, wonderfully realized, and brimming with great characterization. In my opinion, Hurley is a great new name in speculative fiction and would appeal to many readers here.

Finally getting into The Islanders a full month after it's release.

And yesterday afternoon I finished Infidel by Kameron Hurley. This was the sequel to God's War released earlier this year and was excellent. This bug-fi/bugpunk series dark, wonderfully realized, and brimming with great characterization. In my opinion, Hurley is a great new name in speculative fiction and would appeal to many readers here.

How long did you put the book down after the well scene? I literally had to stop for half a day. Brutal.

How long did you put the book down after the well scene? I literally had to stop for half a day. Brutal.

Actually, I was able to keep reading. Though yeah, that scene was definitely brutal.

Can I get a round of applause, please? I managed to finish a second book since I gave birth to the twins nearly 3 months ago -and some of you will know why this is quite an accomplishment. I read and enjoyed Stephen Kings Full Dark, No Stars. One thing to say about King, when he is good, he IS good. Those 4 stories were for me some of the best writing he's done in years.

I've bought this book on the strength of your recommendation. Haven't had a chance to sit and read much yet, but what I have pretty much reaches out and grabs you by the throat. Good stuff.

I read A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle, and while it was beautifully written I never really connected with any of the characters. It was a wonderful take on death and afterlife though.

Then I read The Walking Dead Book 6 (issues 61-72) - it was good, but probably my least favorite block of 12 that I've read so far. I don't like the road the Rick appears to be headed down.

I've been "reading" World War Z by Max Brooks for about a week now... and I'm only on page 84. Maybe I'm burnt out on zombies, but I'm also not a big fan of the short interview structure. The problem is that all the interviewees should have their own unique voice, and out of the 25 or so different points of view I've read there's only been between 8-10 different voices. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a bad book - I enjoy it when I'm reading it, I just have no incentive to pick it up and read.

Up next will be The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. After that will be one of these sci-fi books, but I'm not sure which:

Up Against It by MJ Locke

God's War by Kameron Hurley

Embedded by Dan Abnett

Germline by TC McCarthy

How's Miserere?

Just finished this morning... I really really enjoyed it. Think a readable Paradise Lost part Two. There's a lot of religion ambiance and told from the POV of Christians, but no preachiness. As someone who tends to avoid such things it didn't bother me in the least. I'll write a long form review here shortly.

I just got through re-listening-to Wizard of Earthsea. Sigh, what a lovely book. And it was a fascinating narration by Harlan Ellison, too. :)

Now listening to Broken Angels (second Takeshi Kovacs book). I don't remember reading it before, but a lot of it seems awfully familiar so far. I'm trying to brush up on my Kovacs trivia before I do a reread of The Steel Remains and The Cold Commands.

Archived