Gwendoline Christie as Brienne

kissdbyfire

robin weigert isn't really ugly either, but they were able to ugly her up enough to play calamity jane.

That is a good example.

I tried look close at Robin Weigert to see if I could spot any special prosthetics or make up, it look minimal to me, off screen Weigert looked like an attractive woman.

Essentially, I really don't view Brienne as being that repulsive. I view her as being someone who so completely goes against conventional beauty, that everyone around her is shocked.

The example of Brienne I was thinking of was the portrait by artist Christine Griffin in the book The Art of George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire (Fantasy Fight Games), its on page 27.

Now that's my image of Brienne, not 'Freaks' ugly, just really homely, she's kind of got a mesomorph cast to her, not sure they can do that, but I can see with prosthetics or maybe even minimal makeup achieving that look, or something like it.

A note: I am guessing George approved of all the art in this book, published early this year.

So I am guessing that is his image of Brienne.

Another note: All these books of art and calendars have images of characters rendered before the HBO series, I wonder if the features of the real actors are going influence future art? Some , while fine art, don't look anything like the TV series characters.

The art book draws from FFG's large back catalog. George did initially look at every single card that passed by him to start with, but there's just too much. The selections from the art book may have been passed by him again, but he's always said that he gives artists a lot of leeway to present their vision. So, his approving it doesn't necessarily mean it's his particular vision of the character, or even particularly close. If that was artistically the best of four or five images of Brienne they had, I'm guessing he'd pick it, even if one of the others were "closer".

The art book draws from FFG's large back catalog. George did initially look at every single card that passed by him to start with, but there's just too much. The selections from the art book may have been passed by him again, but he's always said that he gives artists a lot of leeway to present their vision. So, his approving it doesn't necessarily mean it's his particular vision of the character, or even particularly close. If that was artistically the best of four or five images of Brienne they had, I'm guessing he'd pick it, even if one of the others were "closer".

I see. Well.. of all the art images of Brienne I have seen it seems technically the best. It seems to capture the 'inner' Brienne best too.

The book is full of excellent art , I found it odd that House Targaryen , while technically excellent, does not always seem to capture the look and feel of the novels, I thought the HBO series was right on the mark on all the Eastern stuff. For me at least, if the show influences future art I would count it a plus.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone who was worried that Brienne would be too pretty, here is a glimpse of her:

http://tumblrofthron...doline-Christie

That's cool, and pretty much what I expected. I think some people thought they were really going to try and ugly her up, but I figured they'd just present her as she was, just like Dinklage. Just let her make the character come to life.

That's cool, and pretty much what I expected. I think some people thought they were really going to try and ugly her up, but I figured they'd just present her as she was, just like Dinklage. Just let her make the character come to life.

Looks like they did ugly her up significantly though. Either way, *fistpump*.

I'm at a loss as to how. She looks pretty similar to other pictures I've seen of her, except with shorter hair and armor.

It depends on your expectations. Some people seemed to have got very worried about how she'd look, given the number of attractive pictures she has on the web. But cutting her hair and not putting any make-up on her can clearly make quite a difference. It all sounds very obvious but you can't stop people worrying. :)

Anyone who was worried that Brienne would be too pretty, here is a glimpse of her:

http://tumblrofthron...doline-Christie

I'm sure that shot is other places on the internets but that was the first place I could find it as a still rather than the video.

She looks perfect!!!

Perfect! They did a very good job, at first i thought, who's the guy looking at the camera? And then, oh, HOLY SHIT!

http://tumblrofthrones.tumblr.com/tagged/Gwendoline-Christie

I'm sure that shot is other places on the internets but that was the first place I could find it as a still rather than the video.

She looks perfect!!!

That is really excellent.

This show has a real aesthetic feel for elegance and minimalism, what fine artists strive for.

It looks a bit like the deal with Robin Weigert on Dead Wood.... except looks as if there is some minimal prosthetic work.

The real challenge here will not be physical looks as capturing the essence of the character.

I think she looks perfect as Brienne. I never really pictured Brienne as a freakish kind of ugly, I see her as more homely ugly, awkward, and very mannish, that is how she looks to me in that screencap. With just the right amount a make up and shading tricks you can transform a pretty lady into an ugly one without overdoing it. I am more interested in seeing how she plays Brienne's tough exterior/soft interior than anything. Plus I am just excited to start seeing some more warrior type kick ass female characters!

I think she looks perfect. I was worried she'd be too pretty (you'll always be "beautiful" in my eyes, Brienne!) but this is excellent! It could be they are muting her skin tone and giving her a bare-washed/no-makeup look. I mean, you'd be amazed at what actresses look like sans the makeup:

http://seehere.blogspot.com/2006/08/celebrities-without-makeup.html

(I'm sure many of these "with makeup" photos are, in fact, photoshopped, but it gives you a pretty good idea of how a little makeup can go a loooong way.) :)

I think she looks perfect. I was worried she'd be too pretty (you'll always be "beautiful" in my eyes, Brienne!) but this is excellent! It could be they are muting her skin tone and giving her a bare-washed/no-makeup look. I mean, you'd be amazed at what actresses look like sans the makeup:

http://seehere.blogs...out-makeup.html

(I'm sure many of these "with makeup" photos are, in fact, photoshopped, but it gives you a pretty good idea of how a little makeup can go a loooong way.) :)

Well it also shows how facial expression can go a long ways in making someone look different.

I have seen some of those actresses without make up, but a more relaxed expression and they looked quite attractive.

Well it also shows how facial expression can go a long ways in making someone look different.

I have seen some of those actresses without make up, but a more relaxed expression and they looked quite attractive.

I think the huge difference is that the magazine photos are heavily posed, lots of make-up and heavy photoshop.

The "without makeup" photos are taken at their worst, in direct sunlight, yawning, really up-close with a strong frontal flash, etc...

In real life, most of these people are probably somewhere in between those "without" and "with" makeup photos.

edit : I love how those things are always only photos of women, the subtext being "women need makeup to be pretty and SHOULD WEAR MAKEUP AT ALL TIMES because it's a sin to be ugly if you're a woman" and no one cares what men look like without makeup/photoshop, because when you're a man, women should go after you even if you're ugly. Goes to show just how rampant sexism is really, even (or even more so, rather) in women's magazine.

edit : I love how those things are always only photos of women, the subtext being "women need makeup to be pretty and SHOULD WEAR MAKEUP AT ALL TIMES because it's a sin to be ugly if you're a woman" and no one cares what men look like without makeup/photoshop, because when you're a man, women should go after you even if you're ugly. Goes to show just how rampant sexism is really, even (or even more so, rather) in women's magazine.

Ever seen George Clooney without makeup? I have, and he has that same rugged, masculine look he's famous for. Also had the pleasure of seeing Sandra Bullock and Jennifer Garner without makeup, and they are both just as gorgeous. Some people need makeup, others don't, but, more than anything, it has to do with camera lighting not looking good on bare skin.

Archived