Gwendoline Christie as Brienne

kissdbyfire

Jamie did refer to her as a "cow" several times, if I recall, at least until he grew to respect her more. That implies she's thick/muscular.

I had pictured Brienne along the lines of MMA fighter Gabrielle Garcia (6'3" 240 pounds or so) than Gwendolyn Christie. However, Christie does look pretty good in the role, and I doubt there are many actresses as big & thick as Garcia.

(some pics here: http://womenprofile....lle-garcia.html )

You know thinking of George's physical description of characters, or at least my take on it, is that it's kind of 'cartoony' .... meaning in reading the novels I got ideas about people's eyes, and a this and that thing about hair and a little other stuff, but in general nothing seem detailed enough for me form a mental image.

I think I have seen this in the artwork that was done before the HBO series.

I must have seen , maybe 10 Brienne illos, none of them alike.

I wonder how the artistic representations will proceed now?

The artistic depictions of her I've seen so far are definitely closer to the book's almost cartoonish description, some of them look awesome, but this version is much more believable in the context of a TV show that's supposed to be somewhat realistic. I really like how they keep the designs rather subdued compared to the comic book-ish descriptions in the books.

That's one of the reasons I love what they did to Melisandre. In the books she's described as pretty much a mix of all hyper sexualized evil sorceress clichés we know, from books or fantasy movies or comics, and I find her description to be frankly a little ridiculous and one-dimensional. I find it commendable that, for the show, they chose to give her a more understated appearance, it makes all the more mysterious and layered.

I like her very much. And I never pictured Brienne as actually ugly. We see her from jaimes POV, who not only is comparing every woman with his Barbie-like sister, but who doesn't like Brienne very much at the beginning. I guess, Briennes main problem is, that she doesn't fit in the description of a 'proper lady' like the Hound does not fit in Sansas dream of a 'proper knight' - even though he is more a proper knight by nature than most men from the kings guard by title.

Jamie did refer to her as a "cow" several times, if I recall, at least until he grew to respect her more. That implies she's thick/muscular.

I had pictured Brienne along the lines of MMA fighter Gabrielle Garcia (6'3" 240 pounds or so) than Gwendolyn Christie. However, Christie does look pretty good in the role, and I doubt there are many actresses as big & thick as Garcia.

(some pics here: http://womenprofile....lle-garcia.html )

that's not tv-ugly, that's ugly-ugly

I like her very much. And I never pictured Brienne as actually ugly. We see her from jaimes POV, who not only is comparing every woman with his Barbie-like sister, but who doesn't like Brienne very much at the beginning. I guess, Briennes main problem is, that she doesn't fit in the description of a 'proper lady' like the Hound does not fit in Sansas dream of a 'proper knight' - even though he is more a proper knight by nature than most men from the kings guard by title.

:agree:

Exactly my thoughts, couldn't have say it better. ;)

I'm so glad to have Gwen as Brienne, she looks amazing. And she will be so Badass. :cool4:

The artistic depictions of her I've seen so far are definitely closer to the book's almost cartoonish description, some of them look awesome, but this version is much more believable in the context of a TV show that's supposed to be somewhat realistic. I really like how they keep the designs rather subdued compared to the comic book-ish descriptions in the books.

That's one of the reasons I love what they did to Melisandre. In the books she's described as pretty much a mix of all hyper sexualized evil sorceress clichés we know, from books or fantasy movies or comics, and I find her description to be frankly a little ridiculous and one-dimensional. I find it commendable that, for the show, they chose to give her a more understated appearance, it makes all the more mysterious and layered.

Hate to be a bastard about this but that's just, like, your opinion man.

Just look at the wench of tart avatar for one and tell me why that isn't realistic?

There are some unrealistically ugly looking people in the world as well, hell some of them are even successful.

As for Melisandre that sure is looking deeply given how much HBO has show us of her, might be you were seeing her wrong in your mind.

Hate to be a bastard about this but that's just, like, your opinion man.

Just look at the wench of tart avatar for one and tell me why that isn't realistic?

There are some unrealistically ugly looking people in the world as well, hell some of them are even successful.

As for Melisandre that sure is looking deeply given how much HBO has show us of her, might be you were seeing her wrong in your mind.

Uhh... yes, obviously it's my opinion. Did I state otherwise anywhere ?

The several instances of "I find" before stating my view should be enough indication, don't you think ?

Not sure what you're getting at. I like her appearance in the show, that's all.

No worries. I don't really take discussions too seriously around here, even when debate gets a little heated at times.

But anyway what I meant is that the descriptions of the characters in the books seem somewhat exaggerated : the beautiful people look like gods and the uglies are complete monsters. Making Brienne as ugly as she is described in the books wouldn't make much sense in a show that's trying to keep things a little more realistic. See what I mean ?

Ouch...I'm not liking that helmet design at all. The tiny antlers look ridiculous. I guess big antlers would make her look like a Knights who say Ni, but they could have found better ways to them on the helmet.

Are those supposed to be battle helms or 'court' helms?

I am surprised that Rory McCann says he is wearing that Hound Helm in a jousting contest, or even in battle, seems like something more functional would be in order.

(By the by another joust?, I don't need to see another one of those in the series.)

Are those supposed to be battle helms or 'court' helms?

I am surprised that Rory McCann says he is wearing that Hound Helm in a jousting contest, or even in battle, seems like something more functional would be in order.

(By the by another joust?, I don't need to see another one of those in the series.)

In season 1 when they butcher all the Stark men in the throne room, we see Sandor jump forward and fight with his hound helm on. I'm guessing that is his actual battle helmet, rather than a ceremonial thing.

Brienne's helm does look a little silly but I guess they need to go out of their way to clearly differentiate between all the different households.

In season 1 when they butcher all the Stark men in the throne room, we see Sandor jump forward and fight with his hound helm on. I'm guessing that is his actual battle helmet, rather than a ceremonial thing.

Brienne's helm does look a little silly but I guess they need to go out of their way to clearly differentiate between all the different households.

For Sandor I will go with it, tho must admit for 'field' battle a 'ceremonial helm does not seem very utilitarian.

I thought in the book, tho so long ago can't remember, Brienne kept her own helm.

Just taking the garb of Renley's guard.

But what the show had done is ok, I notice others wearing that helm too.

That doesn't last long, so what they do after the 'surprise' I don't know should that not be like episodes 4-10?

Or so.

• 2 years later...

Archived