The Walking Dead - Season 2

Mattyp

I agree with SwordoftheMorning. Leaving that girl by herself was poor writing. That said, I'm glad they didn't find her and I think it would be better if they never found her. That lingering question of what happened to the kid is far more terrifying than any zombie. At least that would show what is at stake when the group makes bad decisions.

I liked the pacing of the episode and the ending was so brutal that I'll be back next week to see what happens. I don't see anyway Rick's kid can survive and losing the two children would really throw the group dynamics into chaos. Maybe the series has a shot to exceed expectations but I guess we'll see. I really want to like this series but I'm on the fence.

Well i personally thought the season Finale, was amazing. Good mix of slow and high paced moments, along with some good character development for a couple of the characters. And i thought the final seen with the Buck, was just great for the calm in the storm feeling it gave you, then you realize you were in the eye of it and here comes the real trouble.

I read alot of comments complaining about not enough zombies, or bad decisions or you would do it better. Again this is not a hour and a half zombie slasher flick, this is a flushed out story, that is more about the people surviving, then it is necessarily about countless numbers of zombies. Alot of you were complaining about Rick leaving Sophie, he didn't do it so he could go get a burger. He made a decision in the heat of the moment, a decision he felt was the only way to save both their lives. Was it necessarily the best decision, were his instructions perfect for Sophie, No. But thats what makes that scene feel more real, in real life i guarantee almost none of you, would be even be that level headed in a similar situation. Its always easier to armchair quarterback and say that was stupid, you wouldn't have done it that way. In real life when you have only a split second to make a life and death decision, you make it knowing that it may be wrong. And thats exactly what the show gave us, a man in a stressful life and death situation, who might have made the wrong choice.

Some have also complained about, the show has too much melodrama, well it is a TV show and yes here and there it can have a little too much. But remember the characters are human beings like you and me, the last time i checked Humanity could almost be considered a synonym for drama. Yes these are people living through an apocalypse, their primary goal needs to be survival. That doesn't mean they don't have feelings and thoughts, that their personalities won't clash with others. Apocalypse or no Apocalypse, you put together a group of people, strangers, who are fighting for survival you gonna have various forms of drama occur. Its part of who are as people, nothing is ever just as simple as we need to survive. So this is all we will ever do and talk about and our interactions together, will never have any drama.

People should stop nitpicking little stuff and enjoy the show for what it is, or don't watch it.

Re: Ice Crow.

I will continue to nitpick all i want. I don't really feel it's a not pick anyway, it was a major fail by the writers. Rick has killed more than enuff zombies by now to know they are pretty fuckin stupid and rather easy to handle in ones and twos. There was no rational reason in the scene as written for him to send the little girl off by herself. Piss poor story development.

Also, if u don't like reading unfavourable critiques of the show, u Prolly don't wanna keep reading this thread. Telling people what they should or can post about it is bad form and around here, we are quick to let u know that's not how it works

Re: Ice Crow.

I will continue to nitpick all i want. I don't really feel it's a not pick anyway, it was a major fail by the writers. Rick has killed more than enuff zombies by now to know they are pretty fuckin stupid and rather easy to handle in ones and twos. There was no rational reason in the scene as written for him to send the little girl off by herself. Piss poor story development.

Also, if u don't like reading unfavourable critiques of the show, u Prolly don't wanna keep reading this thread. Telling people what they should or can post about it is bad form and around here, we are quick to let u know that's not how it works

Bad form, you have you opinion and i have mine. Thats all that is, theres no bad form in that my friend. I did just as you did for my post, which was read what someone wrote and came back with a rebuttal. Never said don't post, did state however someone who has so many problems with the show, isn't being forced to watch it. I know when i don't like a show, i simply don't watch it.

Well, leaving the little girl to find her own way back to camp was either poor writing and a major fail on the writers' parts, OR it was a major fail on Rick's part. To me, at least, it's interesting to contemplate a major fuck-up on the part of a so-far heroic character. Now he has to constantly question himself (rightly so) AND face the girl's mother and the rest of the band. That's harder to deal with than zombies any day.

As for the shot at the end, yeah, pretty messed up. This was a bad episode for kids, for sure. And I agree that the little girl should never be found - artistically speaking, of course. :P

When you have flaws that are easy to point out and there's a need to keep having to make excuses for characters decisions, that's not a sign of good story-telling.

And look here, see this? I am not complaining about there not being enough zombies.

There are hints of good stuff in the show which is why a lot of us keep watching it, but my opinion is the complaints are quite justified.

We want to be "wowed" by the characters in a way that makes us say "that's cool!" not in a way that says "that's dumb!" there's some of the former moments but way too many of the latter. And if you keep having to explain the situation they are in as an excuse, then why the hell should I be interested in these characters? There has to be other groups out there in zombieland making better decisions. Making mistakes as plot elements and character development is fine once in a while, but when it's someone or the same someones every damn episode it becomes aggravating and is a sign of sloppy writing.

Well, leaving the little girl to find her own way back to camp was either poor writing and a major fail on the writers' parts, OR it was a major fail on Rick's part. To me, at least, it's interesting to contemplate a major fuck-up on the part of a so-far heroic character. Now he has to constantly question himself (rightly so) AND face the girl's mother and the rest of the band. That's harder to deal with than zombies any day.

I do not think that it is bad writing, nor a bad decision by Rick. If you look at the situation, you have a full herd of zombies that may or may not be in ear shot. You want to lead the stragglers as far away as possible before engaging them in case their screams alarm the others. You also have an exhausted little girl who is not going to be able to keep pace. It is not a bad option to do what he did.

The issue I had in bad writing was the attack in the RV. I didn't understand why that once the zombie in there started screaming why the rest of the pack, who was still outside at the time, didn't come in for dinner.

So for starters, how the heck did a horde of zombies get to them that close without anyone of them them noticing earlier? Wasn't Dale on the roof of the RV for a while before the walkers arrived? Although I liked the the action and that entire sequence seemed enjoyably tense.

I also found it a bit odd though that Rick opted to leave Sophia in the woods when he had other better and more obvious options imo. That was either poor writing or simply a major fuck-up by Rick. Either way, I just didn't like how it led to the rest of the episode being them just looking for the girl with little advancement in plot. Some character development was nice, but for a season premiere, a huge chunk of it felt like I was watching a filler episode...

Getting a little pissed at the lack of consistency regarding "Zombie Rules" that should be specific to the show.

#1) The smell thing coupled with the hiding under cars defense. It seemed to me to be pretty well established in season one that scent was important. Is that a defense you'd embrace knowing that these things have a sense of smell?

#2) The seeming lack of concern regarding being splashed with Zombie internal fluids. Digging around in a Zombies' intestinal track? No thanks. Not gonna do it.

#3) Lack of concern regarding attracting hordes with noise. A Harley? Really?

I guess some would call it nit-picking, but THIS SHIT IS IMPORTANT.

I like the show. I liked the comics. But i've always felt slow zombies are fucking stupid. Now technically 28 Days Later did not have zombies in the traditional sense in it, but i'll call them zombies because they are generally considered to be so, if only with a few variations.

This show would be so much better if these things had some fucking SPEED to them. There is a willful suspension of disbelief when a person gets bit by one of these things, because they move so fucking slow. I mean, in the first season, that one that bites Amy. She could have just wrenched her arm away.That attack on the camp would have been something else if those things had just bolted out of the trees. It would give a far better reason for why the infection spread so quickly around the world.

What would be best is if they find the girl, but Carl dies of his wounds.

I like the show. I liked the comics. But i've always felt slow zombies are fucking stupid. Now technically 28 Days Later did not have zombies in the traditional sense in it, but i'll call them zombies because they are generally considered to be so, if only with a few variations.

This show would be so much better if these things had some fucking SPEED to them. There is a willful suspension of disbelief when a person gets bit by one of these things, because they move so fucking slow. I mean, in the first season, that one that bites Amy. She could have just wrenched her arm away.That attack on the camp would have been something else if those things had just bolted out of the trees. It would give a far better reason for why the infection spread so quickly around the world.

What would be best is if they find the girl, but Carl dies of his wounds.

I read an interview of George Romero once where he laughed out loud at the idea of "fast zombies". Being the father of modern zombie fiction, I'll go with his opinion. Basically he says dead bones are still dead. That fast zombies would shatter their ankle bones. Makes sense to me.

I've always been a fan of the idea that when a person becomes a zombie they reanimate with the same strengths, speed, etc. that they had while alive. And time then does to their body what it would to any dead body: slows them down to the point where they're the shambling messes most associated with Romero.

Did anyone else watch The Talking Dead immediately following the re-broadcast of The Walking Dead last night? I caught some of it, and they addressed some of these issues you guys are arguing about. They're unabashed fanboys, so their opinions will definitely not satisfy all of you. It's kind of a fun thing to watch immediately afterwards, though. I think AMC has picked it up as a regular program.

ETA: Here's the website for the podcast: http://www.talkingdeadpodcast.com/

I read an interview of George Romero once where he laughed out loud at the idea of "fast zombies". Being the father of modern zombie fiction, I'll go with his opinion. Basically he says dead bones are still dead. That fast zombies would shatter their ankle bones. Makes sense to me.

His credibility is destroyed after his last couple of movies, which were all shit on a stick. Also, is he really trying to debate dead bones breaking because they run? How about fucking moving at all? If they can move, if you can will away your disbelief, then everything else is irrelevant.

I was pleasantly surprised by this episode. The last season had it's ups and downs, but there was enough zombie suspense and general post-apocalyptic atmosphere to keep me watching eagerly and leave me wanting more. I wonder if the writers are tough enough to let the boy die or if they will conjure up a miraculous survival...

WRT bad decisions made by the group, I thought the major one was driving all cars into the traffic jam in the first place. The other stuff I can easily excuse as poor decisions made under stress, but risking getting caught in a place with poor visibility like that? Why not just back the cars up a hundred meters and send the guy on the motorcycle in to see if there is a way through?

This show would be so much better if these things had some fucking SPEED to them.

Heh, with these characters, you do that and they don't survive past the first 5 minutes of the outbreak.

Anyone watch the webisode "Torn Apart" on the AMC website/you tube? You Yube makes it a lot easier to go from part to part, AMC screws it all up. I did last night and enjoyed it better than the actual season premiere episode.

Archived