I also will be attending, it will be my "Going Away/Good Riddance" party. Just think, no more Ski and pax arguing over the microphone at karaoke nights, no more dashingly good looking fellows at meets, no more drunkin rants...wait I forgot about Pax. I'm trying to finish work early on friday and will hopefully get down there around 5-6ish. Who can put me up for a place to crash for the night? I will not be doing my dash to central station to get the last train home to newcastle routine again, last time it was the death of me.

So far the only plan is;

Stage One: Meet at the Opera bar starting around 5:30ish.

Stage Two: ??????

Stage Three: Profit.

So, what's a good place to grab some dinner and have some drinks? I havent got any ideas there Im afraid, I'm only really familiar with the bars and restaurants along King Street in Newtown.

Honestly don't know much about pubs in Sydney, but maybe this place for drinks/dinner? Looks to be about a 15 minute walk from Opera bar and has quite a few beers on tap. What do to the Sydney-siders reckon? BeeTrix should theoretically be the expert in this part of town...

@Ski: sorry mate don't think I can help you out with accomm. this time around

@ithanos: yeah might be interested in that. How long are you staying in Syd for?

Updated attendance list (we'll miss you brook, yay ithanos!!):

Attending:

S John

Brady

Stubby & laoise

sh_wulff

morningsword

stormborne

Paxter

The Winged Shadow

BeeTrix

Neal

Horza

ithanos

Ski the Pom

Screaming Turkey/Unicorn Boy

Maybe

Jeor (he has a wedding that night but might be able to come after 11 pm)

Lazy n00bs who need to get their act together and advise of their attendance:

JewBear & Dean

ThatGuy

The shift swap has been secured but is somewhat suboptimal, have to leave at 10 (and finish at 4 :ack: ) - will try and favourably amend but if I fail console yourselves with the knowledge that some Horzaâ„¢ is better than none.

Honestly don't know much about pubs in Sydney, but maybe this place for drinks/dinner? Looks to be about a 15 minute walk from Opera bar and has quite a few beers on tap. What do to the Sydney-siders reckon? BeeTrix should theoretically be the expert in this part of town...

Honestly, pubs are not my gastronomic venue of choice, especially not ones in the touristy end of town.

Having said that, I've been to the Lord Nelson and it is as good a venue as any.

Also, since beer seems to be high on the list of priorities - The Australian Hermitage Hotel, is known for its vast variety of beers (food is rather average though). http://www.australia...itagehotel.com/

However, if people are willing to travel, then there is Bondi (which sh_wulf suggested), Surry Hills, Balmain, Darlinghurst (http://theowlhouse.com.au/) and even North Sydney (http://www.oakshotel.com.au/).

It's also worth considering that it is well into the silly season and many places may be very full.

It's also worth considering that it is well into the silly season and many places may be very full.

This is actually a very good point, and given that it is a Friday night there may well be a proliferation of office xmas parties going on.

But as to venues generally, somewhere that serves a decent counter meal and has a largeish beer garden (where we can all congregate at large tables) would be ideal.

Is that this place?

Looks nice, and I guess a cab ride there wouldn't be too much from the CBD. Could be the right sort of place.

yup

and there 's a bus from circular quay that takes you to the front door practically ( approx 35 minutes) .It's on a cliff looking south to Bondi and has a verandah for outdoor dining if the weather is balmy and lots of pubs as well , as well as there being plenty of pubs around for afters ( closes at midnight)

I'd prefer something a bit closer to where we are starting off, for practical reasons. We have a big group, and in my experience when a big group moves from one venue to another, you start losing people. The longer the distance, the more people go AWOL.

Also, I'm not opposed to cheap drinks and I'm not a 'trendy bar' kinda guy, but I think we could try do a bit better than a golf club for SJohn's first and maybe only trip to Sydney / Ski's farewell?

What stubby said sounds pretty good to me, a place that serves not-horrible counter meals and has a beer garden or long tables where the whole group can sit. It just seems like we could find a place like that a bit closer than North Bondi :) I like the look of the Australian Hermitage and the Lord Nelson, and the Owlhouse too.

Just did a bit of googling, anyone know anything about the Quay Bar?

ETA; I just remembered, I went to a bachelor party that kicked off here, a Czech Beer Hall/Restaurant. It was a pretty good time and the food was decent, though I was very very drunk so my reliability as a witness is somewhat in question.

What stubby said sounds pretty good to me, a place that serves not-horrible counter meals and has a beer garden or long tables where the whole group can sit.

Following that vein then, there is also http://www.thelocal.com.au/ - described as having "all the benefits of a beer lovers' bar and no faux German/Austrian/Czech decor."

And http://www.tilburyhotel.com.au/ which is in Woolloomooloo.

As for the Quay Bar - my experience of it was not great.

I see The Local has the award winning Dirty Granny Cider on tap. I can't find any cider on the Tilbury site, but the place does look inviting. Happy to follow what you guys propose. Considering our number we shouldn't have any problem rocking up to a spot on the night right?

@Ski, why don't you crash at one of the hostels? I'll be at the Railway Square YHA (again) and a dorm bunk is ~$40. Facilites were of a high quality last time I was there.

@Pax, getting in early Friday and was hoping to take on the 10:30 tour that morning. The same tour is on again the next day. Let me know if you're interested. Hope to make a booking in the next day or so.

Considering our number we shouldn't have any problem rocking up to a spot on the night right?

Unfortunately, given the time of year and the fact that it is Sydney City on a Friday night, I would not make this assumption.

I can make a few ring arounds tomorrow and see what the go is at several of the aforementioned venues.

Archived